Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssomike
    replied
    Thanks for the replies guys. It seems like a good gig, but I already have 6 years invested with the state, so unless it's an unbelievable offer, I just can't give up the security and seniority (but I always like to see whats out there).

Leave a comment:

• rouge303
    replied
    for ssomike

only read these post once in a while. sorry for the delay. when I interviewed it was $27 a hour and change that was 2 years ago. retirement was TIAA-CREF that is a retirement plan that colleges,universities and research institutions use. I have that now and its a good plan. And they had all the other bennies you get dental medical child care on site etc. Of course you chip in for all those things.

Leave a comment:

• Fuerza
    replied
    Interestingly enough, Knolls Atomic just recently posted a Security Police announcement.

https://knollslab.tms.hrdepartment.c...913&lcid=en-US

Leave a comment:

• Fuerza
    replied
    duplicate post
    Last edited by Fuerza; 10-10-2009, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fuerza
    replied
    duplicate post
    Last edited by Fuerza; 10-10-2009, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fuerza
    replied
    Originally posted by ssomike View Post
    Are they actually "LEO'S". Are they covered under HR218?How long is their academy?
    They are real LEOs, but i don't believe that they're HR218 covered since they're not truly DOE employees. Rather, they are employed by the private company contracted by the DOE to manage the site. This is the exact same situation as the Security Police at Knolls Atomic Power Lab outside Albany, essentially private security officers with a type of special police commission from the federal government. That said, they have very good pay and crazy firepower. If you want to carry off duty just get a permit.

I'm not sure how long their academy is, but the DOE guidelines for security police officers seems to indicate a minimum of 7 weeks. Some facilities may require 10 or more though.

Leave a comment:

• ssomike
    replied
    rogue303, I totally understand. I have small kids and going out of state is basically out of the question. Do you know what they were paying?

Leave a comment:

• ssomike
    replied
    Are they actually "LEO'S". Are they covered under HR218?How long is their academy?

Leave a comment:

• Fuerza
    replied
    Originally posted by rouge303 View Post
    I interviewed for this position maybe 2 years ago. I really liked the job except for the fact the academy was out of state. really out of state, some where in west. I zoned out during the interview as soon as I heard Arizona or Arkansas I can't remember which state it was. I have a family that I just can't be away from nor do I like to fly. I also remember that you have a P.A.T test every year to remain a security police officer, if you fail you get bumped down to just a security guard position. I was also told that suffolk county police handles all the arrest, they (BNL) would just detain until SCPD arrived. The panel interview was painless and all were friendly. Things may have changed since it has been awhile since I was there. Good Luck
    The reason that Suffolk County PD handles most arrests is because Brookhaven officers derive their authority from 10 CFR 1047, which only allows arrests for very specific crimes. You can see a decent outline at http://www.hss.energy.gov/IndepOvers.../10cfr1047.pdf

Leave a comment:

• rouge303
    replied
    I interviewed for this position maybe 2 years ago. I really liked the job except for the fact the academy was out of state. really out of state, some where in west. I zoned out during the interview as soon as I heard Arizona or Arkansas I can't remember which state it was. I have a family that I just can't be away from nor do I like to fly. I also remember that you have a P.A.T test every year to remain a security police officer, if you fail you get bumped down to just a security guard position. I was also told that suffolk county police handles all the arrest, they (BNL) would just detain until SCPD arrived. The panel interview was painless and all were friendly. Things may have changed since it has been awhile since I was there. Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• Highwaylaw
    replied
    Now THAT is a job that is issued and trained on some REAL firepower. You go up against those boys its gonna be like the last scene in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Originally posted by FL5OH View Post
    I checked usajobs, but havent found any info...
    You have to apply at bnl.gov. I applied about a year ago when they had an opening for security police officer.

Originally posted by gator22b
    How do you get on? I've looked at the site and there is no hiring announcement so was it open and now closed? Or do you just apply to their office and see if they call you?
    Apply at bnl.gov when they have an opening for Security Police Officer (thats the title). They had an announcement several months ago which goes to hr. You have to meet the minimum standards and from what I remember a majority of the guys are retired or are looking to get on elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• ssomike
    replied
    I actually forget if it was USA jobs or not, it was about 2 months ago that I applied.

Leave a comment:

• FL5OH
    replied
    I checked usajobs, but havent found any info...

Leave a comment:

• gator22b
    replied
    How do you get on? I've looked at the site and there is no hiring announcement so was it open and now closed? Or do you just apply to their office and see if they call you?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5285 users online. 262 members and 5023 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X