Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brookhaven National Laboratory

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brookhaven National Laboratory

    Anybody know / have any info on BNL's Security Police Officer position (they've called me for an interview and I'm wondering if it's worth my time).

  • #2
    Good money if you can get on.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

    Comment


    • #3
      sounds like a good gig. I found this but i haven't read most of it yet

      http://www.bnl.gov/hr/linkable_files...Wages_2010.pdf

      Comment


      • #4
        It does seem like a good gig. They seem to be very persistent about me scheduling an interview, but they're like an hour and 15min. drive for me so I don't know if I could swing it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ssomike View Post
          It does seem like a good gig. They seem to be very persistent about me scheduling an interview, but they're like an hour and 15min. drive for me so I don't know if I could swing it.
          When did you get a call? I applied like 4 months ago and never heard anything from them. If I were you I would just go for an interview and see what they say.
          NYPD - 93
          SCPD - 95
          NCPD - 94.5

          Comment


          • #6
            How do you get on? I've looked at the site and there is no hiring announcement so was it open and now closed? Or do you just apply to their office and see if they call you?

            Comment


            • #7
              I checked usajobs, but havent found any info...

              Comment


              • #8
                I actually forget if it was USA jobs or not, it was about 2 months ago that I applied.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FL5OH View Post
                  I checked usajobs, but havent found any info...
                  You have to apply at bnl.gov. I applied about a year ago when they had an opening for security police officer.

                  Originally posted by gator22b
                  How do you get on? I've looked at the site and there is no hiring announcement so was it open and now closed? Or do you just apply to their office and see if they call you?
                  Apply at bnl.gov when they have an opening for Security Police Officer (thats the title). They had an announcement several months ago which goes to hr. You have to meet the minimum standards and from what I remember a majority of the guys are retired or are looking to get on elsewhere.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Now THAT is a job that is issued and trained on some REAL firepower. You go up against those boys its gonna be like the last scene in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."
                    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

                    Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I interviewed for this position maybe 2 years ago. I really liked the job except for the fact the academy was out of state. really out of state, some where in west. I zoned out during the interview as soon as I heard Arizona or Arkansas I can't remember which state it was. I have a family that I just can't be away from nor do I like to fly. I also remember that you have a P.A.T test every year to remain a security police officer, if you fail you get bumped down to just a security guard position. I was also told that suffolk county police handles all the arrest, they (BNL) would just detain until SCPD arrived. The panel interview was painless and all were friendly. Things may have changed since it has been awhile since I was there. Good Luck

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rouge303 View Post
                        I interviewed for this position maybe 2 years ago. I really liked the job except for the fact the academy was out of state. really out of state, some where in west. I zoned out during the interview as soon as I heard Arizona or Arkansas I can't remember which state it was. I have a family that I just can't be away from nor do I like to fly. I also remember that you have a P.A.T test every year to remain a security police officer, if you fail you get bumped down to just a security guard position. I was also told that suffolk county police handles all the arrest, they (BNL) would just detain until SCPD arrived. The panel interview was painless and all were friendly. Things may have changed since it has been awhile since I was there. Good Luck
                        The reason that Suffolk County PD handles most arrests is because Brookhaven officers derive their authority from 10 CFR 1047, which only allows arrests for very specific crimes. You can see a decent outline at http://www.hss.energy.gov/IndepOvers.../10cfr1047.pdf

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Are they actually "LEO'S". Are they covered under HR218?How long is their academy?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            rogue303, I totally understand. I have small kids and going out of state is basically out of the question. Do you know what they were paying?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ssomike View Post
                              Are they actually "LEO'S". Are they covered under HR218?How long is their academy?
                              They are real LEOs, but i don't believe that they're HR218 covered since they're not truly DOE employees. Rather, they are employed by the private company contracted by the DOE to manage the site. This is the exact same situation as the Security Police at Knolls Atomic Power Lab outside Albany, essentially private security officers with a type of special police commission from the federal government. That said, they have very good pay and crazy firepower. If you want to carry off duty just get a permit.

                              I'm not sure how long their academy is, but the DOE guidelines for security police officers seems to indicate a minimum of 7 weeks. Some facilities may require 10 or more though.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5502 users online. 298 members and 5204 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X