300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suny Campus Public Safety Officer

Hey guy's just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this job or knows anyone or anything about it any info would be great!

Cpso

Here is the civil service info, this title is primarily used as a dispatcher, but as a decentralized entity the departments can and do make up their own duties as they see fit. Not all campuses use this title. I believe the salary is a grade 9, I do not know what that amounts to in real money.

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/tsplan/tsp...cCode=8753000F

The state is giving the UPO1 test next month.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the link so basically you have no powers at all no peace officer or even security it seems just dispatch.The tittle is a bit misleading i think

Comment

Yes, the title is misleading. CPSO 1s are strictly dispatchers.

Comment

Correct, the state colleges/universities no longer have any peace officer lines. Some of the community colleges have started to implement armed peace officer programs, Onondaga CC in Syracuse is one of them. Syracuse University Public Safety (Private) is now an armed peace officer department as well.

Comment

Correct, the state colleges/universities no longer have any peace officer lines. Some of the community colleges have started to implement armed peace officer programs, Onondaga CC in Syracuse is one of them. Syracuse University Public Safety (Private) is now an armed peace officer department as well.
            Last edited by stingray18; 10-04-2009, 05:07 AM. Reason: double post

Comment

Thanks for the replies do they still have to wear a uniform? or are they in civilian clothes i would have to guess some kind of uniform since you work for the university police i guess it would be somewhere to start and you can make a transfer it say's to other positions like safety officer which is peace officer.

Comment

Yes, CPSO 1s wear a black shirt which has the SUNY PD Patch and Communications on it. I know a few people who moved from CPSO to Peace Officers. It is a very nice stepping stone, if you want to get your feet in the water.

Comment

Thanks again for all the replies sounds like a good steeping stone and on top of that it is a state job don't know which union but as long as the benefits are good who cares i guess!

Comment

CPSO's (with 2yrs on) can also file promotionaly for UPO 1 exam, which puts them on top of the list along as you pass. A CPSO i worked with did it, got a 70 and was ranked 3rd.

CPSOs are in NYSCOPBA

Comment

But you would still need to meet the college requirements also right? nyscopba is a correction union isn't it.

Comment

yes, you still need to meet the min requirements you just get to cut the line. The guy I worked with failed the PAT so he didn't get on after all of that. NYSCOPBA also has a law enforcement neg unit. Hence the "P" in NYSCOPBA

http://nyscopba.org/statewideLawEnforcement

Comment

Thanks for the website link lots of info.

Comment

you guys are talking about the suny police exam on nov 14th right???

if so what should i do to prepare for the test?

is it the same type of format as the NYPD test?

Comment

No, this is not the UPO 1 Test (University Police Officer 1)
                              This thread is about UPD dispatchers (Campsus Public Safety Officer 1)

Sorry to only answer half of your question, but I am not very well versed (sp?) in the test format.
                              Last edited by apo2be; 10-10-2009, 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling and diction

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2117 users online. 143 members and 1974 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X