Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ex-Crown Vic cruiser

Hello!,

im looking for some information on the legality of having an ex-cruiser with equipment left over that's inoperable. I purchased a old crown vic off cl.org - apparently it has federal signal equip left over. The car also has lights in the grill and on the 3rd brake light with a traffic adviser on the back window. They're all white and have no indication of what color they are. The system is intact but, it doesn't work.

my question:

is it illegal to have said equipment in car ?
    as my name suggest, i purchased the car for as a daily commuter. vics reliabilty and expandability is what made me purchase the car, but at the same time im not trying to confuse local LEO.

Looking for some solid advice. I'm located in NY.

thanks!

I'd rip that crap out, sounds like it has the potential for disaster if you get stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by NYRangers718
      Have you been in Brooklyn lately? Just put on a yamaka you'll be fine.
      Yarmulke....not yamaka
      REALLY REALLY REALLY "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts in New York City!" sigpic

Comment

Let me guess...you still live with your parents and have never missed an episode of COPS?
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by NYRangers718
          Who?
          The OP.
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

cvpi4work wrote:

"as my name suggest, i purchased the car for as a daily commuter. vics reliabilty and expandability is what made me purchase the car, but at the same time im not trying to confuse local LEO."

Why you purchased the car has nothing to do with anything. Take the lights out no matter what color they are. You are not a Police Officer, why would you want to look like you are driving an unmarked car? Whatever your "reasons" for them are, there is no reason your car should have those lights, whether they work or not. It may confuse local Law Enforcement, but they would not be confused for long. My bigger thought would be who are you trying to confuse; the public? lone females in cars? kids at the bus stop? The list goes on.

I think you should seriously reconsider the "unmarked car" look. The disabled lights may be legal, but they are not wise.

I am sure any cop that has come across your car has made a note somewhere of your name, address, plate # for future reference for any "police funny business" with fake cops.
            Last edited by Sled; 10-01-2009, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Many, many years ago back in my teens, 34 now. One of the guys' I used to hangout with once in a while bought a car like yours. Old unmarked P.O. blue car with all the light still in it and working. It wasn't long before the Cops realized it wasn't one of their or the neighboring PD. So they started to give my friend a hard time. The town was small so they broke his [email protected] all the time until he got the point and had to get rid of it. The car used to be an under cover P.O car in great condition.

So the moral of the story is take all the lights off because you will be getting stopped A LOT!
              Exam 8322
              List# 5XX
              Medical: Passed
              Written: Passed
              Oral: Passed
              Meet with BI: Done
              JST: Passed
              1st Mini-Med: Passed
              2nd Mini-Med: Passed 11/29/11

Let's go January 2012!!!

Comment

If you purchased the car as a daily commuter, wouldn't it be unwise anyways since it would probably slow up traffic?

Comment

Originally posted by LINY View Post
                  If you purchased the car as a daily commuter, wouldn't it be unwise anyways since it would probably slow up traffic?
                  truer words were never spoken

Comment

probably a volunteer fire buff... get a toyota sedan- much better reliability and gas mileage then an "old" crown vic that probably gets 8 miles to the gallon.

Comment

It's only a matter of time until we get a question like this:

Hi Officers,
                      I converted an old prison cell into a studio apartment. It still has the bars on the windows and metal bench. I think it's pretty cool but will it scare off potential dates?
                      Last edited by BrickCop; 10-03-2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop View Post
                        Hi Officers,
                        I converted an old prison cell into a studio apartment. It still has the bars on the windows and metal bench. I think it's pretty cool but will it scare off potential dates?

lmao

Comment

This guy posted the exact same question on the "ask a cop" section. He is getting hammered by the other posters!

Comment

don't forget to leave your SWAT, FBI, CIA,POLICE, SHERIFF.. or any other "cool" hat or shirt you can get at the mall home when you drive it as well....
                            Choose a job that you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5429 users online. 270 members and 5159 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X