Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD1084
    replied
    Madcat your point is taken well. Now the real problem is nobody knows anybodys job better than those who are in the job they speak of. And it kills me to hear people who aren't even on the job put down ones authority or tell others what they believe a person would do In a situation. Now crowd control is a school safety specialty wether they be students or adults. If our people know nothing else they know crowd control. But on the other hand people boast police officers to be this superhero with super powers and that's not reality, reality is that all law enforcement officers are human with human emotions and some are scared to do their job without a firearm. In a crowd of 1200 people who are disorderly are you justifed someone being shot if no one in that crowd is armed? NO. Are you justified to peppersparay if the crowd is not posing an immediate threat to you or others? NO. EVERYONE HAS STRONG AND WEAK POINTS. I want everyone on this thread to be safe out there and look out for you fellow LEO'S wether they are police or peace officers be safe god bless.

Leave a comment:

• madcat816
    replied
    Originally posted by SSD1084 View Post
    Amazing LINY, we do go to 13, and 85's on more than one occasion and not just for our own SSO'S but for the po's too. And the pct CO'S thank us and so do the PO'S. As for the school jobs answered by.the pct well you can thank some principals for that. They hate the fact that they are not our bosses and they do not want to disclose information to our "in house" guys so they dial 911 and most of the time the agents had no clue you were called. Trust me our uniform task force"PO'S" know we have there back they have ours. I will end with this, brooklyn school may/june of 2009: large 52 on 3rd floor agent calls for some units to 85 her on the 3rd floor while school safety is handling the 52 here comes the armed po, the students turned on him because he thought he was the "LAW" little did he know the crowd would just keep growing, now he calls a 13 because he can't shoot anyone and ends up spraying the whole floor 13 people went to the hospital thanks to the spray, now upon review of the video it seems the po was frightened with the number of people on one floor and they were nowhere near the po. But that goes to show you you can say anything you want about us butit doesn't matter we know what we do and that's that. As for my lazy commrades it is what it is! They makes us look bad as some po's make you guys look bad. Have a nice day!
    gotta chime in on that one...

I def see what your trying to say, that its diff, say if your a SSA workn at a school, or a CO workn at MDC, or a PO workn patrol.

But your example is skewed naturally you'll be a little better at dealing with juveniles and youngsters than some PO's, because that is what you know and deal with day to day, not to mention they vastly outnumber you. The same way that CO's in prisons have to play smart and use their mouth more than anything else to get thru the day.

BUT, i don't like how you portray the big bad armed PO called a 13 b/c he felt frightened.. its a little unwise to make a remark like that if you don't do actual day to day patrol in the streets, answering jobs, controlling crowds on details (adult crowds). As a PO you learn how dangerous ppl can be and why theres zones of safety, AND to anticipate a possible riot W/O armed backup. So maybe, upon responding to the big assembly, the PO was in his regular patrol mindset? and didn't realize how to handle juveniles since thats NOT what he does day to day?

In the same turn, if you, an SSA, were to get placed in a certain situation where there was a group of unruly adults who were imposing on your personal space, and if you treated it the same way you would kids at a school setting... i would say theres a sliiight possibility you would call a 13 as well. Just the same way if you were to stick a PO into prisons and play CO for a week, it would be very diff... not instigating just my 2 cents

Leave a comment:

• GroundState
    replied
    okay...

maybe there's one thing everyone can agree on:

creating the illusion that there are more police officers than there actually are in this city is dangerous and asking for trouble.

NYC hates crime
    NYC hates cops
    NYC hates armed citizens who can take care of themselves

one of these has to give, eventually...

common sense: so rare; it's practically a superpower.
    Last edited by GroundState; 10-18-2009, 05:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SSD1084
    replied
    Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
    If by LASPD you are refering to Los Angeles Unified School Police,they are armed and full PD officers with pay and benifits on par with surrounding agencies.
    Yes they are who I am referring to. I believe that they are properly organized, as far as the NYPD School Safety Division goes we are not. We were authorized by the police commisioner to carry batons and wear ballistic armor but our head bosses put a stop to it, reason being they do not want to answer any questions if the day comes where we would actually use the batons as far as the vests go they stated "we have been doing the job for years without them why start now?". Hence me attempting to finish my credits and join the cops". At least they are equipped correctly. SSD ISSUES=BOSSES W/O A BACKBONE.

Leave a comment:

• gbotj
    replied
    Yeah I believe it all about the location of origination of the actual crime because I've seen tbta getting perps miles from bridges

actually our GAOE is NYS.
    If anyone wants to read more about GAOEs refer to section 140 of the CPL, it lists private agencies, state agencies, villages, and cities.

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    When the day comes ill let you know how it went. But until then I stand by my people and know what we do. Unlike LASPD we do the job weaponless, underpaid and without any recognition, but we still clock in everymorning and get hurt defusing situations and help the public when warranted, school safety is nationally recognized as the 5th largest law enforcement agency in the country and it isn't treated well or respected so what else is new. Walk a mile in my shoes and you shall know what it truly is to be a school safety agent...... until that day do not pass judgement on what I will or willnot do or what I can and cannot do or who I could or can't help or my jurisdiction....
    double post

Leave a comment:

• Garbage Man
    replied
    When the day comes ill let you know how it went. But until then I stand by my people and know what we do. Unlike LASPD we do the job weaponless, underpaid and without any recognition, but we still clock in everymorning and get hurt defusing situations and help the public when warranted, school safety is nationally recognized as the 5th largest law enforcement agency in the country and it isn't treated well or respected so what else is new. Walk a mile in my shoes and you shall know what it truly is to be a school safety agent...... until that day do not pass judgement on what I will or willnot do or what I can and cannot do or who I could or can't help or my jurisdiction....
    If by LASPD you are refering to Los Angeles Unified School Police,they are armed and full PD officers with pay and benifits on par with surrounding agencies.

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    Please do not confuse Scope of Employment and Geographical Area of Employment. GAOE imposes limita on the arrest authority of both Police and Peace Officers. For example, a fairly common problem occurs on Long Island when Police Officers from one village (A) back up Officers from another village (B). The village A Officers cannot make arrests for Violations (Dis Con, etc) while assisting in village B. The reason is that the village A Officers are outside their GAOE. Scope of Employment places other types of restrictions on Peace Officers. Refer to NYS CPL Section 140 and its subsections.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Now how about postal police? Are they allowed to react on crimes in progress?

No, they are restricted also to Federal property as is FPS,the DA/DoD police @ Ft. hamilton, US Merchant marine police in Kings Point.

Leave a comment:

• SSD1084
    replied
    Yeah I believe it all about the location of origination of the actual crime because I've seen tbta getting perps miles from bridges. You know with all the technological advances in our society why the heck can't they just clarify everything on paper. They just amend and amend but there is no clarity on anything in the books. I say throw everything out and start fresh.

Now how about postal police? Are they allowed to react on crimes in progress?

Leave a comment:

• NYJets44288
    replied
    Ugh those pesky states and their states' rights.

Leave a comment:

• NYCTNT
    replied
    FROM WHAT I HAVE READ AND HEARD, the VA police are not allowed to by federal rules to step out of their GAOE, which is probably up the building line edge or the sidewalk.

It has nothing to do with NYS putting them in the books as peace officers. Federal laws and regulations trump "pesky" city and state laws anytime.

Leave a comment:

• NYJets44288
    replied
    I think the only agency that cannot step out of their GAOE in NY is the VA Police in Brooklyn and it had something to do with the fact that the couldn't be authorized as NYS PEACE Officers. It was on 7online.com and still should be.
    not completely sure though.

Leave a comment:

• PAPD 8-2
    replied
    If a peace officer in the state of NY witness a felony in progress out of his GOAE why can't he/she go stop it? that doesn't make sense.

I have seen NYPD chase perps out of their GOAE into other counties to catch perps.

I remember PAPD chasing a guy all the way from the GWB to the Delware water gap and catching him in PA.

Its all about where the crime was attempted and completed, doesn't matter why they run as a sworn officer or peace officer you can go get them.

Leave a comment:

• ImportInvasion
    replied
    Originally posted by Sled View Post
    but every sworn peace officer in the state can step out of their GAO (GEOPGRAPHICAL AREA OF EMPLOYMENT) if/when necessary.

That is not a true statement.

(I do not mean to get involved with this thread, the initial point was should anyone other than a "Police Officer" be riding around in a vehicle that, for all intents and purposes, looks like a police car. That point was lost long ago-it is now talking about the CPL and geographic areas of employment-and giving out incorrect info-you cannot just "step out of your GAOE if/when necessary". My opinion is if is a police car-it should have a fully trained, authorized and armed Police Officer behind the wheel. If it is not a Police Officer-then the car should look substantially different)
    Actually, my statement was very true. Just because your "scope of emplyment" is a school or a train station, or even a specialized force like ASPCA. (humane law enforcement) does not mean you cannot go outside your scope to stop a crime, or make an arrest. All peace officer agencies in NYC have the legal authority to do so, whether or not they are indemnified however is at the discretion of their employer. Just like any action we take ANYWHERE, as long as you can articulate your actions, your good to go. You give me one example of a CITY agency that employs peace officers who can't collar a perp if they see a crime in progress outside of their area of employment. In fact, failure to take some form of action can get you just as jammed up. If I ever caught wind that a court officer, or some other city peace officer just watched a crime take place where a loved one of mine was hurt as a result, believe me I would be hunting for his job. Even a privately funded peace officer like someone from CCPD would get involved if they found themselves at the location of an incident where they could prevent/stop it. I've spoken with more than a few and even private sector law enforcement seems to go "above and beyond". If you don't agree with the white vehicles, fine...phone 311. But my statement is very, very true.... Seems to me that retired nypd would/should know that, but it's ok. We're all allowed one...

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2845 users online. 133 members and 2712 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X