Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure of the exact acronym....but outside our area POST reflates to Peace Officer training standards. The standards cover LEO positions in the State. Many States have very similar training for all LEOs regardless of titles, unlike the great State of Confusion that is NY

Comment

Originally posted by SSD1084 View Post
      You have just defined School Safety my friend.
      Peace Officers cannot arrest people for misdemeanors not committed in their presence without hearing information over from another Officer or Dispatcher.

Originally posted by Outshined
      I have been a police officer for almost 24 years in New York, can someone tell me what POST is?
      They set minimum standards for Academy training and certification for Police Officers. The only state that doesn't do POST is Texas, which runs on some other system. Peace Officers in other states are called Police Officers here, and yeah, like the above post it gets confusing.

Comment

LINY......where do you get your info? Please read section 140.25 of the Criminal Procedure Law, it will give you the correct information. Nothing in that section speaks of dispatchers or other officers.

Comment

[QUOTE=LINY;2002327]Peace Officers cannot arrest people for misdemeanors not committed in their presence without hearing information over from another Officer or Dispatcher.QUOTE]

Not true, you really need to read up on that topic CPL140.25. That is a myth. WE can make warentless arrests all we need is a complaintant. again i have had many collars on pick up jobs. all i did was get it verified by a pct sgt just like the PO's.
          Last edited by SSD1084; 09-30-2009, 09:13 PM. Reason: forgotten information
          ....I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6...

Comment

LINY......where do you get your info? Please read section 140.25 of the Criminal Procedure Law, it will give you the correct information. Nothing in that section speaks of dispatchers or other officers. Rembered the acronym: P. O. S. T. Peace Officer Standards and Training.......pretty much like our DCJS standards...except we have different standards for Police Officers and different basic standards for Peace Officers.

Comment

Originally posted by NYRangers718
              You all make good and valid points HOWEVER...THE PUBLIC DOES NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!!! The see a white car with a blue stripes and a siren to them it's the POLICE. As an Auxiliary does you think people don't move when they are double parked when they see us behind them? Or do you think a driver doesn't put down their cell phone when they see us? You think a crowd doesn't go their seperate ways in the projects when they see out WHITE AUXILIARY car role by? You got a POLICE car to the public you are the POLICE. It's a safety issue for School Safety, Traffic, and Auxiliary, and even the public. Joe Perp in the street whose out to get COPS who did him wrong in the past doesn't care who he's hurting because he thinks it's the POLICE. Just like Joe Victim feels safe when he sees this WHITE POLICE car passing through his block and then when something happens runs into the street for help and finds someone who can't do a thing for him.
              I was with you until the last sentence. TRAFFIC may not be able to do anything but School safety will help you 110%. wether it be a robbery, assault, menacing , you name it. I believe many people have a misconception with regards to what school safety actually does. If people would just ask the right ones you would know exactly what we do. And furthermore sirens and lights have been installed on vehicles since they were with the board of ed. As a person who patrols i would like you all to know that if your wife, sister, mother, child, or any relative or friend comes to my vehicle for help they are safe. if needed i can get the proper assistance for any situation, fire, ems, and if the pct doesn't respond and its a collar situation i'll be right there for them.
              ....I would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6...

Comment

Blame Bloomber and Kelly they did that to give the illusion that more cops are on the street lol

Comment

So was I. My main concern was pretty much the one that you said - Traffic.

Comment

It always amazes me to see how a simple topic turns into a flame war full of inconsistencies and unverified information. First off, I've been on with SSD for 3 years. Until recently, I've driven around in the BLACK patrol vehicles just like auxies, and please forgive me "those traffic agents we LOVE SO MUCH!!!" In that time I've been flagged down plenty of times by people who were being assaulted, had been robbed, etc, etc.... From those pickup jobs, I've had more than a few good collars, and a couple of them were FELONY collars. EVERY collar I've taken has stuck, and I see no reason for that to change. With regards to the members who post stupid comments like "garbage men in fire vehicles", it is stupid comments that get people in trouble. These forums are meant to educate, which means fact not fiction, sarcastic comments do nothing but waste peoples time. Whether we drive a white vehicle or black vehicle, pickup jobs will continue, and we will continue to handle those jobs. This may be unknown to most, but SSD has alot of vehicle spread all over any given sector. Backup is just a push of a button away, and just like the auxiliary, we can request assistance from the pct if we feel it is beyond our capabilities. With regards to peace officers not being able to arrest for a misd. without witnessing the crime, you are seriously mistaken. We do it ALL THE TIME. If it occurs in a school, then school safety bosses respond and verify. If it is out on the street away from school grounds, then pct bosses respond and verify. But make no mistake about it, SCHOOL SAFETY takes those collars. We cuff, process, and sit with ADA, just like any other peace officer in NYC. Truth be told, it seems like people want to take away from NYC peace officers due to preconceived notions they may have. I see no issue at all with school safety having a white vehicle for the simple fact that no person in need will ever be turned away. Trust me, even if a person has a weapon of some sort, we've dealt with it, he's not getting far. Strength is in numbers, and trust me we have numbers. School safety takes gun collars too by the way, news flash. I'm sure other agencies do the same. Peace officers in NYC get treated like **it and thats the reality of it, but the misinformation has to stop. One more point to add, corrections hold down a house of inmates with absolutely nothing on them, hospital police carry no firearms but collar up all the time, CUNY is unarmed but collars off school grounds as well. Hmmmm, seems like alot of people getting locked up by people who are not the "POLICE". Not every job requires a firearm to handle, and anybody truly on this job would know that. Its your attitude, tactics, and radio that keeps you safe and alive. We do it everyday, and I'm still here, able to type this reply.

Comment

oh yeah, one more thing, TRAFFIC with the exception of about 100 agents, are not sworn peace officers. They can't put a single finger on a perp, so with regards to them, I can understand peoples concerns. Thats why I agree that
                      'most" of their new white vehicles are Toyota Prius vehicle which are easily recognizable. I have met a few traffic agents that are sworn peace officers, but I doubt they have much experience exercising thier powers. (but only a traffic level 4 would know for sure) SSD on the other hand is sworn from end to end. We all do our time at the academy, and trust me we all get our turns with perps. Unfortunately, this is something the public will probably never fully understand until they have an encounter with us. Good or bad LOL

Comment

[QUOTE=GoldBadge;2002120]Not even court officers drive cars that say "Police," they say "NY Courts."

That is true, actually I don't believe that the MSP (Courts RMP) should be marked because some *** will mistake them for an NYPD car. We should be using "packaged" black cars. We have them.

Comment

Hey matters at the end of the day is when u get your collar take about 2 hrs to fill out your olbs, vouchers and 61's and just milk the hell out of the collar for some OT lol

Comment

Originally posted by LINY View Post
                            Peace Officers cannot arrest people for misdemeanors not committed in their presence without hearing information over from another Officer or Dispatcher.

They set minimum standards for Academy training and certification for Police Officers. The only state that doesn't do POST is Texas, which runs on some other system. Peace Officers in other states are called Police Officers here, and yeah, like the above post it gets confusing.

WHAT?

Dude, you havent got a clue. Keep studying.

A peace officer can make a WARRANTLESS ARREST, a police officer can make a WARRANT ARREST.

TRANSLATION>

A peace officer CANNOT serve a WARRANT.

A police officer CAN serve a WARRANT.

WARRANTLESS=NO WARRANT.

So, aside from WARRANTS, STOP QUESTION AND FRISK there is no difference.
                            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying that TNT. There is a lot of bad information all over these forums, and people tend to take everything they read as FACT. Can't say I blame them though. Law enforcement in NY is complicated due to so many agencies. "PD" is obviously the top dog, everyone else is just support like I always say. I don't really expect the public to ever learn the difference, but these forums are full of leo's and future leo's. There should be no misinformation here. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by SSD1084 View Post
                                Where on these cars does it say "POLICE". no where but the exact same emblem we wear on our shirts and the same emblem that was on the black car.

Define "COPS" please
                                NYPD = New York City Police Department

let me rephrase my statement then...

marked police cars are for police officers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4313 users online. 253 members and 4060 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X