300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do all these NY Police forces have an age limit of 35 to join

Isn't it stupid, if your 36 you cant join any of these police forces like NYPD, Yonkers, Westchester and Mount Vernon police.
    With this economy being bad i know plenty of people who would try out for one of these police forces. Alot of these people have college degrees, but their 36 to 39.

Doesn't answer your question, but SUNY police and NYS EnCon police both have open exams filings right now and there is no age limit.

Comment

There are plenty of police and peace officer agencies with no limits. Besides... It should not take a person 35 years to choose or switch careers. This is and should not be a bandage on someones budget issues. It is not just a job, it's a lifestyle. I hate to be blunt but thats the truth. When the pay was 25100 starting noone even dared to loom at the job, but yet failed to look at the future benefits and job security.
      Last edited by NYCTNT; 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM.
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

I don't think many departments have age limits anymore but those that do may look at it something like this.

If you start when you're 35 and figure a 25 year career you're going to be 60. I hate to say it but the older you get the higher the chance is you'll be injured or disabled. Police and fire have very high disablity rates so anything they can do to minimize it helps. Just remember the bad guys stay 25 years old and we keep getting older.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan176 View Post
          Isn't it stupid, if your 36 you cant join any of these police forces like NYPD, Yonkers, Westchester and Mount Vernon police.
          With this economy being bad i know plenty of people who would try out for one of these police forces. Alot of these people have college degrees, but their 36 to 39.
          If they waited that long, then they probably never wanted to become Police Officers to begin with and are only looking at it as a cushy Government job without taking considerations to the dangers after they lost the Office job.

I can't wait until the economy gets back up. All those applicants will be flying away.

The NYPD attracted up to 30,000 applicants, in 2001 only 1,800 people applied.

Comment

I thought it had something to do with the NYS Police and Fire Pension system. I think they close you out at 35 so they can accumulate the wealth (investment) needed to pay the pension after 20 years.

And the agencies that are not part of the NYS Police and Fire Pension system are probably the ones that dont have an age limit.

Of course I could be completely wrong on this.

Comment

Lol, the economy is killing us young guys who really want the job. My plan was to take exam 6011 (when I was 18) and since people were taking the test and getting hired in less than a year, when my turn rolled (2.5 years later) around I would be at the front with my old exam number and 95. So much for that!

Comment

americanpolice, i agree with you, because with military service, the oldest you can get on is 41 y/o (35 year age limit + 6 years allowable service deducted from the age). leaving you just over 20 years before you're forced out.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                  There are plenty of police and peace officer agencies with no limits. Besides... It should not take a person 35 years to choose or switch careers. This is and should not be a bandage on someones budget issues. It is not just a job, it's a lifestyle. I hate to be blunt but thats the truth. When the pay was 25100 starting noone even dared to loom at the job, but yet failed to look at the future benefits and job security.
                  Thank You!
                  my thoughts exactly you just worded it better!

Comment

I knew a retired guy who worked in applicant processing and he told me the reason for the NYPD age limit was that they figured out that after that age,people started to heavily use their health insurance. Also, my current department was, at one time, going to hire a guy in his fifties, he didn't make it because he was colorblind, I thought it was ridiculous because he would not have been able to hit 20 before being forced out, but an old timer told me that it could be construed as age discrimination if we did not hire due to his age and therefore his inability to qualify for his full pension.

Comment

Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
                      Lol, the economy is killing us young guys who really want the job. My plan was to take exam 6011 (when I was 18) and since people were taking the test and getting hired in less than a year, when my turn rolled (2.5 years later) around I would be at the front with my old exam number and 95. So much for that!
                      I know. I went to take the walk-in on Saturday but it was all full. Apparently if I want a spot the guy said I gotta come at least 2 hours earlier then the test time, so I'm going back soon enough. It probably didn't help I went on a weekend either.

Comment

Originally posted by UpstateNYPD View Post
                        ...I thought it was ridiculous because he would not have been able to hit 20 before being forced out, but an old timer told me that it could be construed as age discrimination if we did not hire due to his age and therefore his inability to qualify for his full pension.
                        FYI, the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) permanently exempts fire fighters, emergency medical personnel, and police officers from the federal ban on age limits and employment. The law authorizes state and local governments to establish mandatory retirement ages of at least 55, as well as maximum hiring ages.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                          i agree, i was one of those people. If I had stick with my plan and joined when it was 25100 I would've been in the force now and making $$$. Other than...making $10000/year and trying to get back to college...

Comment

Originally posted by LINY View Post
                            If they waited that long, then they probably never wanted to become Police Officers to begin with and are only looking at it as a cushy Government job without taking considerations to the dangers after they lost the Office job.

I can't wait until the economy gets back up. All those applicants will be flying away.
                            +1

that's right...I can't wait too, all those wall street devils are taking my money now my job and dream !!

Comment

when the pay goes back to 25k the same thing is going to happen

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158733 users online. 164 members and 158569 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X