300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best CJ Colleges in NY

What's the best 4 year school to go to if you're looking for a good Criminal Justice degree? I know alot of people might say the obvious choice would be John Jay, but what about the programs in places like St. Johns, St. Joe's or Adelphi? I know some feel that with a CJ major the school doesn't really matter, but I'm gonna be transferring from a 2 year to a 4 soon and I'm lookin' for as much useful information as possible..

Originally posted by SDC1983 View Post
    What's the best 4 year school to go to if you're looking for a good Criminal Justice degree? I know alot of people might say the obvious choice would be John Jay, but what about the programs in places like St. Johns, St. Joe's or Adelphi? I know some feel that with a CJ major the school doesn't really matter, but I'm gonna be transferring from a 2 year to a 4 soon and I'm lookin' for as much useful information as possible..
    SUNY Albany has one of the top CRJ programs in the nation. When I went there they were #2 in the nation behind Maryland.

Comment

It's not in NY but its 10 mins over the GWB in Teaneck NJ. I graduated from Fairleigh Dickinson University in May and majored in Criminal Justice. They have an excellent department and the professors are all retired professionals ranging from retired FBI and Treasury officers to retired NJ police chiefs and NYC sgts. One other thing to ponder also is where you want to go with your degree because after 4 years i was told by an FBI recruiter that the FBI does not hire Criminal Justice majors. Hope it helps.

Comment

you do not necessarily need a cj degree in order to get into the le field. i would recommend a major that is considered a skill set, such as accounting, language, or it with the relevant certifications. that way, you can take the skill with you wherever you go, even if you decide not to pursue a job in the le field. also it makes you stand out among the applicants since accounting can be possibly utilized by all le agencies, local, state, and federal. in my opinion a cj degree is very general and provides you with the insight about the cj system but cannot adequately prepare you for the actual street performance of duty. 4th amendment search and seizure, reasonable suspicion, procedures from initial arrest to sentencing can be learned by reading law textbooks, hornbooks, emanuels outlines, and reading published cases.

Comment

I would suggest checking out St. John's. The CJ program is very good, and everyone is friendly! GO RED STORM!

Comment

I don't want to sound biased or anything but I go to hilbert college which is outside of buffalo ny and our cj program is nationally recognized. Local, state and federal agencies from all over the country come here to recruit and even hold exams. All of our cj proffesors are ex or current LE so thats always good to have. local law enforcement holds inservice and informative seminars that are sometimes open to the public as well as students. And from what I know we are one of only a few colleges in the state that not only offer cj but also degrees in economic crime investigations and forensics /crime scene investigations. Not to sure about the ammount of students on campus but the vast majority of us are cj related. Class sizes are small which I like because of the relationships you build with your proffesors. I got in with one of my proffesors who's the station chief with the ATF here in Buffalo and he set me up with a 6 month internship with the ATF where I learned a lot and had a great time. So yea haha
            "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." -Albert Einstein.

Comment

I would really consider John Jay..I'm a senior there and currently I have 1 professor who worked for FPS, 1 who worked with DEA, and 1 retired NYS Trooper. What you also need to consider is the reputation of whatever agency your looking in with your colleges' internship/career office. I know John Jay has EXCELLENT relationships with many federal agencies, if not ALL. Actually through John Jay i was able to apply with the U.S Marshals CO-OP program, and if I'm not mistaken many other schools in the area dont offer that..but keep reputation of the school in mind. Good luck
              Amtrak Police: NY/NJ

Comment

Thanks everybody. Myself personally, I'm looking to stick to the metro NY area so places like St. Johns & John Jay seem like pretty good options. It's all great information though, as it's not easy finding good comparisons for CJ related majors. Haven't heard anything about Adelphi though yet. Colleges like that and St. Johns however require some heavy $ in order to attend though, which could basically just turn into wasted money if you can get the same out of a place like JJ.

Tryin' to decide also whats the best major to pursue if I do end up going John Jay.. Police Studies almost seems like a complete waste of time since you'll end up getting that kind of a education through academy anyway, and there's not much else you can do with a degree in PS either.. Legal Studies or Forensic Psychology seem like pretty good choices..

Agent A: What's the Co-op Marshall's program?

Comment

Originally posted by SDC1983 View Post
                  Agent A: What's the Co-op Marshall's program?
                  one L, two L is the department store. some info for ya:
                  http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/careerdevel...PPORTUNITY.pdf
                  http://www.okcu.edu/petree/social/USMarshalls.htm (link spelled incorrectly as well)
                  http://www.vwc.edu/news_events/featu...us_marshal.php
                  http://www.buffalostate.edu/insider/...p?article=3150

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4742 users online. 252 members and 4490 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X