300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD uniform and equipment questions

Hello! I'd like to ask couple of questions about NYPD uniforms and equipment (about NYPD because I'm particularly interested about police in New York area).

1. Is the NYPD uniform same as LAPD except for insignia and colour (NYPD=NYPD Blue and LAPD=black?) I think the jacket is different because doesen't LAPD have fur collars?

2. What corporation makes NYPDs uniforms? I'm especially interested in the jacket since I wasn't able to find any pictures with google that would verify that what type of jacket is actually used by NYPD. I've seen them on TV in movies etc. and it seems that they have different type of pocket flaps than on uniform shirts? Why?

3. Can officers use their uniform allowance to buy any similiar uniform items or do they have to be made by this specific corporation?

4. Do all officers carry sidehandle batons?

5. Do auxiliary police carry the same type of baton as sworn officers?

6. Who makes the NYPD duty belts and other gear? Are they real leather?

Thanks already for the answers!

/edit

Wait is this the NYPD jacket?

How do the size chart go? Those look like Large - Long why are the officers wearing so baggy and too long jackets??
    Last edited by JAR_fin; 09-23-2009, 09:01 AM. Reason: fixing typos + /edit

No Auxiliary Police Officers carry a straight baton and can only carry a straight baton. NYPD Officers carry expandibles.

Comment

So Aux actually get better batons.

Comment

If you mean something that is a pain in the *** to lug and carry around especially in an RMP that can't just be stored in your jacket, and something that isn't much more effective, then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by JAR_fin View Post
          So Aux actually get better batons.
          No. Auxiliary cops can only carry batons made out of wood (I believe its hickory wood).

The Regular cops can carry the wooden batons, ASP expandable batons, polycarbonate batons or the PR-24 (i.e. side handle batons).

Comment

Originally posted by LINY View Post
            If you mean something that is a pain in the *** to lug and carry around especially in an RMP that can't just be stored in your jacket, and something that isn't much more effective, then yes.
            I would take straight baton anytime over expandable because they just don't work.

What is RMP?

Originally posted by AUX/PD View Post
            No. Auxiliary cops can only carry batons made out of wood (I believe its hickory wood).

The Regular cops can carry the wooden batons, ASP expandable batons, polycarbonate batons or the PR-24 (i.e. side handle batons).
            How does this system work? Can officers just choose that what they get issued? Can they say I want PR-24 and some want ASP?

Comment

The jackets in the picture are no longer used, a newer style is now being used. That picture is probably at least 3-4 years old.

As far as the batons go, it depends when you came on, someone from the 80's or earlier is carrying wood, a little later, PR-24, some newer ones have asp, then you have the older cops being trained on Asp, so there are more than a few batons out there. The basic rule is you use what you were trained on when you were hired.
              Last edited by Sled; 09-24-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAR_fin View Post
                What is RMP?
                RMP = Radio Motor Patrol. Basically just a fancy way of saying Police Car.

Comment

Originally posted by Sled View Post
                  The jackets in the picture are no longer used, a newer style is now being used. That picture is probably at least 3-4 years old.
                  Would someone have a picture of that newer NYPD jacket?

Originally posted by Sled View Post
                  As far as the batons go, it depends when you came on, someone from the 80's or earlier is carrying wood, a little later, PR-24, some newer ones have asp, then you have the older cops being trained on Asp, so there are more than a few batons out there. The basic rule is you use what you were trained on when you were hired.
                  Originally posted by LINY View Post
                  RMP = Radio Motor Patrol. Basically just a fancy way of saying Police Car.
                  Thanks for the answers!

Comment

Perhaps this will help you out.... I had a coca bolo stick, straight wood, but solid.... I have the expandable now, and im not a big fan of it. Great when I'm riding a Bike, but in a knock down drag out, a PR-24 s better IMHO.

https://www.nypdequipment.com/equipm...20LIST6107.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
                      Perhaps this will help you out.... I had a coca bolo stick, straight wood, but solid.... I have the expandable now, and im not a big fan of it. Great when I'm riding a Bike, but in a knock down drag out, a PR-24 s better IMHO.

https://www.nypdequipment.com/equipm...20LIST6107.pdf
                      Hey that's an interesting list. I always wondered what they had to pay for certain stuff. Thanks.

Comment

The prices they have are great! Can I purchase my uniform gear from this place?
                        We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by nasa808 View Post
                          The prices they have are great! Can I purchase my uniform gear from this place?
                          Considering the website is named "NYPD Equipment" and to purchase equipment you have to give NYPD identification, I would say 'no'.

Comment

Hmmm.. I would have never have guessed that you would need an NYPD ID to purchase a pair of pants or a shirt. Learned something new today.
                            We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by nasa808 View Post
                              Hmmm.. I would have never have guessed that you would need an NYPD ID to purchase a pair of pants or a shirt. Learned something new today.
                              The NYPD Equipment Section, both the physical location in Police Headquarters and the online version, is restricted to employees only.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6106 users online. 343 members and 5763 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X