Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nassau County Police Academy...

Hi,
    Can anyone point me to a thread on here that has information on the Nassau Co. Police Academy. I will be going there on 10/14/09, so I would like some insight on what I need to do before I go. If not, can anyone that has been there throw some advice my way. I've been running every week and doing crossfit to get in shape.

Are you going for a town or county job? What did you get on the test?

Comment

Going for a state job in Suffolk. However, Nassau Co. is the place that has the soonest available academy on LI.

Comment

Make sure you have a neat appearence...make sure your car/inspection/reg is up to date and there are no obvious equipment violations...there is usually someone out in the lot directing you in, at least in yrs past. And of course, the usual, lay low, be a ghost, under the radar, give your all in everything they ask you to do.

Good luck.
        Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

Yeah, I got that SI. Thanks.

Comment

I don't have any information but I wish you luck.

Comment

Additional:

Upon speaking to some PT staff recently, it was brought up that the PT readiness level of the incoming class was less then favorable, well below what they deem appropriate. They understand not everyone is or will be in "commando" shape before the academy. But considering many applicants know that they are chosing a career path that will entail a need to be in at least average or hopefully just above average condition just to get through the academy, many are coming in with a substandard conditioning level and an apparent flipant attitude about PT in general. They have disqualified many applicants already on the intitial PT screening....

Keep plugging away with the running, as per the staff.
              Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

If it's anything like the NYPD, get ready to run. And lots of pushups, sit ups, squats, leg lifts, combos of the aforementioned and things of that nature.

Good luck and Congrats

Comment

Ahh yes PT was great when I was in the academy..... I did come in a little out of shape and it was a rude awakening but the payoff was great... Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by RichieRichNY1 View Post
                    Going for a state job in Suffolk. However, Nassau Co. is the place that has the soonest available academy on LI.
                    Congrats and Good Luck

What job? UniversityPD?
                    "Stuck with the tag until further notice"

Waiting.......would be nice before I was completely gray.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I feel like I am pretty squared away with the PT stuff. I don't know how many miles they run or if it is everyday or every other day. I run usually 3 to 4 miles every other day. Plus the crossfit stuff has helped with my strength and cardio as well. I was kind of wondering what a typical day is like. I imagine it starts around 0600 hours and ends sometime around 1700-1800 hours or later.

Comment

Well....not sure about current day.

But a typical day many yrs ago:

In the building by 0715, the latest. Prepare uniform for daily inspection by 0730. Then PT. In past classes(going back a few yrs), PT was right after morning roll call. But I'm not sure if things changed because of shower problems at the building. I heard for a few classes, PT was the last thing on the daily schedule because of the shower issues. That might've changed. In the past, they had PT/DT or some form of it everyday. Plus there was "incentive PT". When someone screwed up or needed a little tightening up...lol. There'll be military drill instruction too. The first few weeks will be hectic, they'll show you how to walk the hallways, "brace the wall" when a person walks past you. They'll try to stress you out. You'll be writing letters for every "infraction" you're found guilty of. For instance, a thread on your shirt, a nose hair, forgot your hat, dirty platoon room, etc etc.

Once again, many yrs ago, the classes would run for an hour each topic, or so. Small breaks in between each topic. A meal period, bring your own in everyday was given. The day would end at about 1630hrs, depending on the day, give or take. Many yrs ago, they would run a morning platoon(0730x1630) and and afternoon platoon(1500x2300). The classes were bigger in numbers then they are as of late. I'm sure things are a little different with smaller classes running through. There will be some down time throughout the day too. An instructor coming in might cancel for the day, or what have you. The class officer teaches basic courses, with guest instructors from the street and various units coming in to teach more in depth topics. Sometimes, things pop up at the last moment leaving a particular block of instruction open. You may get study time or something like that.

About 2/3's of the way through, you'll begin taking field trips for different training evolutions: range, civil disturbance, EVOC, role play, patrol tactics, car stops, simunitions, active shooter, communications bureau, etc etc....This is when the fun begins.

Good luck to you, PM me if you need anything else.
                        Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

Thanks a lot SI, that was very helpful.

Comment

Suggestion:

Most likely you will be in Suit/Tie for the first few days/weeks till you get uniforms. Don't forget lunch/snack the first day, it will be a long one.

Buy a lighter(to burn off any loose threads), instant shoe shine, lint remover(either the sticky roller or traditional red comb-type) and possibly even the spray wrinkle remover, that worked pretty well for quick fixes. Some people invested in bringing in a iron eventually, consult your class officer, things could have changed.

First day will be stressful, just remember to play the game. If you bring your pride to the academy and can't handle it being trampled on, I suggest a different career, former military will understand. Just remember that these same guys/gals that are bashing you for this 7 months will be your best friends when you leave. No window tints or any of that perp-stuff on your vehicle, they do check. You will most likely have to car-pool on a day-day basis, or arrange to park somewhere in the neighborhood(far away from the school) and meet 2 or 3 other recruits and drive 1 car into the school. Do NOT interact with the surrounding public, they do complain, and having your name in 4" lettering on your back makes it easy to ID you.

Run, run, run, and when you are tired of it, run some more. Most people who had trouble, dropped out(involuntarily) etc. had trouble with the PT(Run/Situps/Pushups/Pullups). At home, what I did, was did a set of 30-40 situps while watching TV during commercials, alternate sets of push/sit ups. Remember, running on a treadmill is a lot easier than running, so adjust accordingly(incline/longer runs etc.).

Other than that, its a great job, you're going to love it. Just clear your head, keep your family life at home, academy life at work(besides studying), and you'll do fine.

Comment

No window tints? I have a vehicle with window tints. Should I have them removed?
                              Last edited by RichieRichNY1; 10-01-2009, 04:00 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2127 users online. 145 members and 1982 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X