300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Carrier Investigator

Just saw the Civil Service announcement for this position, and I have never heard of them before. I read the announcement, but didn't see anything on police or peace officer status for Investigators, but the job duties seem LE oriented. Are Investigators police or peace officers? And are they armed or at least carry batons, pepper spray, and cuffs?

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/examannoun.../oc/25-238.cfm
    Agencies Currently and Previously Employed By:
    NYRA Peace Officer - 2010 - 2012 & 2016 - Present
    Sea Gate Police - 2012 - 2013
    NYPD Auxiliary Police - 2009 - 2014
    NYC Department of Homeless Services Police - 2012 - 2014
    U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons - 2014 - 2015

it's actually a really good job. My friend does it in for NJ. He gets his own car etc etc. You basically work with commericial vehicles..tractors trailers mostly You do not carry a gun but you do pull over commercial vehicles with your lights and siren. You basically check log books of truck drivers( they are only allowed to drive a certain distance put day ) You check the tires and lights and issue tickets accordingly. He doesn't have to physically report to any office except at the end of the week to hand in his citations. He always has duties where he inspects commercial vehicles at truck stops...(weigh ins.) etc etc. I'm not sure about all those perks i listed above the same as a NY motor carrier investigator

Comment

Originally posted by NYCAPO View Post
      Just saw the Civil Service announcement for this position, and I have never heard of them before. I read the announcement, but didn't see anything on police or peace officer status for Investigators, but the job duties seem LE oriented. Are Investigators police or peace officers? And are they armed or at least carry batons, pepper spray, and cuffs?

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/examannoun.../oc/25-238.cfm
      This is not a law enforcement position and these investigators do not have police or peace officer status. The DMV does however have a position called Motor Vehicle Investigator, which is an armed peace officer position.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
        Agencies Currently and Previously Employed By:
        NYRA Peace Officer - 2010 - 2012 & 2016 - Present
        Sea Gate Police - 2012 - 2013
        NYPD Auxiliary Police - 2009 - 2014
        NYC Department of Homeless Services Police - 2012 - 2014
        U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Prisons - 2014 - 2015

Comment

As a former employee of the Federal Highway Administration: the Office Of Motor Carrier Safety used to be a part of the FHWA. During a federal DOT reorgination in the late 90's eventually OMC split out into it's own DOT department and became what is now the Department of Motor Carriers.

The "Investigators" are civil service jobs that inspect trucks for proper safety (brakes, loads, log books, rest breaks, proper CDL status, etc.). They also go to Commercial Carrier companies and check their records.

Whether going to a company or doing roadside inspections, they usually are accompanied by an LEO (state) who acts as the enforcement officer for the Investigator's compliance inspection.

They are not authorized to be armed as part of their duties and have no arresting authority. I personally know one Investigator who was fired for display of a weapon during an inspection where he felt threatened when he announced he was shutting down the company for too many operators working without valid CDLs (federal felony for having a weapon on federal property (the government car he drove there)) and other charges.

It's a compliance/enforcement/fines type job. Field work is often in remote "Fotomat" buildings (some even have working air conditioning).
          Last edited by Bounce; 09-11-2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

when i used to work for nypd traffic truck enforcement we used to do details with them for truck checkpoints. they are civil nys workers, non law enforcement and dont carry. they issue fed commerical violations and work with other pd units all thru the state.
            TBTA 89.41
            LIST#690'S

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2188 users online. 149 members and 2039 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X