300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk County

County Executive Steve Levy and the Suffolk PBA reached a tentative pact giving $12 million in union concessions - nearly double what Levy sought - in return for extended arbitration until 2013 and a promise that the county won't shift police work to any other agencies to 2015.

"This is a case where both sides won," said Levy, following 10 days of intense talks. "I needed tax relief and got it. They wanted job protection and they got it."

Jeff Frayler, president of the Suffolk PBA, said, "We have the framework of an agreement," but said it was "premature" for Levy to give details, since lawyers are ironing out final language. "Levy needed money and his need was met. Our need for job security and more police is also met in the deal," he said.

Several county sources said there is also an informal understanding that the county will hire a new class of police recruits next year to at least replace some of the officers who have retired this year and last. Levy said a new police class is not part of the deal, and no class will be included in his proposed 2010 budget released on Sept. 18. But Levy, unlike the past, declined to say if he would veto money for new police. Frayler declined to comment.

The PBA is the last county union to strike a deal with Levy, who last April sought $30 million in labor concessions, including $6.8 million from the PBA, to help close a $119-million shortfall. Levy had threatened layoffs if unions did not agree, but lawmakers have balked at axing police because of the dwindling numbers, even though Levy says the number of police on the street has increased.

County Legis. William Lindsay (D-Holbrook), the legislature's presiding officer, said the deal may not formally include police hiring, but "the feeling is very strong" among lawmakers to replenish the ranks since the county failed to get stimulus money. "Having fewer cops on the street and no cops on the horizon is a very scary thing," he said.

Levy cautioned that if the police union cannot ratify the pact by Tuesday when his 2010 budget goes to the printer, he will cut 60 to 70 filled non-patrol jobs in his plan. He said there will be no layoffs if the union approves the deal.

The deal would expand the pending arbitration award on a new PBA contract, expected this fall, from two years to three years. It also provides for a three-year arbitration for a contract to run from 2011 to 2013. Levy said the $12 million in concessions would come not from a lag payroll, but deferral of overtime or future pay hikes. Levy also agreed to restore the motorcycle unit disbanded last summer, keep the police warrant work from going to the sheriff and end "holistic" training which has transferred 35 officers to unfamiliar precincts.

The pact calls for both sides to abide by the judge's ruling in the ongoing Public Employee Relations Board case on whether the shift of highway patrol work to sheriff deputies is proper.

Thanks for posting this article joeycp. Hopefully there is an academy in the near future. Unfortunately I don't think the 97.5 I scored on the exam is high enough for me to get called...

Comment

I too got a 97.5...I think we may have a shot though

Comment

Your right we may, I guess it depends largely on how many they would call for that first class.What concerns me is that there are something like 600 (correct me if I am wrong) people in the 97.5 bracket, plus those who scored higher than 97.5. Has Suffolk put in a class since the last test? I am in process for Nassau now, but would certainly take any either job.

Comment

I think there are 670 something with a 97.5 and 105 with higher grades. It has been so long, I forgot the numbers. The good thing is the list is in effect until Dec 2011. I'm not sure when the last Suffolk class was. I just passed the Nassau physical 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Congrats on passing the Nassau physical. Job well done; glad to hear they are finally moving along. I already completed / passed my background for Nassau, but am guessing wasn't high enough on the list to get called for the physical. I am in the mid 200's on the Nassau list. Any idea how many they called from the list for the physical?

Comment

What will happen is Levy is going to bank all the money from the last exam and hire nobody off it in 2010, give the new exam in 2011 and make another 3million for the county and then in 2012 hire those who scored 100 and above.

Comment

Originally posted by CAnde View Post
                What will happen is Levy is going to bank all the money from the last exam and hire nobody off it in 2010, give the new exam in 2011 and make another 3million for the county and then in 2012 hire those who scored 100 and above.
                I think you're off the mark there CAnde, the county can't wait that long. I expect to see a class GRADUATE and on the street by Nov. of 2010.
                "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaylaw View Post
                  I think you're off the mark there CAnde, the county can't wait that long. I expect to see a class GRADUATE and on the street by Nov. of 2010.
                  LOL! Keep dreaming! Levy hates the SCPD and vice versa. You'll have town/village classes and Sheriffs hired but thats about it!

Comment

Originally posted by jerry40 View Post
                    LOL! Keep dreaming! Levy hates the SCPD and vice versa. You'll have town/village classes and Sheriffs hired but thats about it!
                    I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'll check back in with you when the hopefuls start their "I just got my canvas letter from SCPD!" thread....
                    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while, but I wanted to put in my two cents about the SCPD. This past March, I had recently left my career as an Army officer, and was looking for a new job. I was in frequent contact with the female Suffolk County Police recruiter after she put a bug in my ear about a possible class for September 2009, and that all those who got a 97.5 or higher would be called. She said, at the time, there would only be about 80 spots.

"80 spots," I remarked, "for around 800 people? Why are you going to put yourself through the hell of contacting that many applicants? Why don't you just call the top 100?"

She replied by telling me that, historically, they have had about a 10% success rate, from phone call to filled desk, for applicants. Most have moved on with their lives because the test is given very infrequently, others can't pass the physical test, while a minority get stuck on the background checks. So, calling 800 people was just about enough to fill 80 seats.

I asked her how crazy the competition was among those applicants. She said that they'd be lucky to fill the 80 from 800 potentials. Curious, I then asked her if the physical test was scored on a point basis (like the Army), with the highly fit applicants getting higher grades than the moderately fit ones, thus helping to vet the process among those who passed. She replied that all you need to do is pass the minimum standard, that's all.

Those of you who are still participating in these forums and mentioning your hope about the SCPD shows that you still have the desire to answer the call, no matter where your life is now. That's a good sign. If you've got a grade >= 97.5, are in decent shape (the physical test standards are not that difficult), and have the desire, you'll probably be in that upcoming 10% of successful applicants, whenever the time arrives. Good luck.

I'm not affliated with the SCPD in any way, nor am I a police officer. Just my unofficial two cents, so don't quote me as gospel. There are some things about the SCPD recruiting procedure I don't agree with, like keeping the test open to high school grads (swelling the ranks of $100 hopefuls, thus providing a MAJOR source of income from a group with a statistically lower percentage of getting inducted), but that's neither here nor there.

Comment

Goot, first of all thanks for protecting our freedom! Second, your 2 cents is appreciated.
                        I think the 97.5's and above have a decent shot. The list is good until 2011, so there is some time for things to improve.

Comment

Just out of curiosity... If that list is good until 2011 then when the next test is given in 2011 how many people will get hire of the new list..? one or two every year replacing the retired officers?
                          NYPD Exam:2311
                          Let the process begin!

NCPD Exam:2000
                          Score: Pending...

SCPD
                          Score: Passed/No call

Suffolk Corrections:
                          Score: Passed/No call yet

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD
                          Score: Qualified.

NYSP
                          Exam: Oct 12th 2013

Comment

Probably zero until LEVY and Dormer are gone, or they stop hating the SCPD. I'm running out of patience with suffolk PD! Ill probably collect my pension with the nypd by the time they call

Comment

How come they hate the SCPD? (Stupid question?)
                              NYPD Exam:2311
                              Let the process begin!

NCPD Exam:2000
                              Score: Pending...

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD
                              Score: Qualified.

NYSP
                              Exam: Oct 12th 2013

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4110 users online. 257 members and 3853 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X