Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you be this " disgusted " with the residency requirement if you were a resident of Yonker? I dont think so. Im sure you would be defending it. Would you want the list to be open to say the 5 boros, all of the Island and just for ****s and giggles NJ?? Absolutely not! If you really want to get OTJ there, move there for the for however long that you have to and then leave.

Good luck.
    We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

its no different than suffolk county advertising its open to westchester, rockland, putnam etc and charging $100 per head when the chances are getting hired from there are like winning the lottery.

lets not forget, yonkers is a city of almost 200k so theres a large pool to choose from.

as to the tax argument- whether u live or work in yonkers, u pay the income tax.

Comment

Nassau and Suffolk PD have no preference in residency. If you're list #1 and you're from Putnam County, that's just fine to them.

Comment

Originally posted by nasa808 View Post
          Would you be this " disgusted " with the residency requirement if you were a resident of Yonker? I dont think so. Im sure you would be defending it. Would you want the list to be open to say the 5 boros, all of the Island and just for ****s and giggles NJ?? Absolutely not! If you really want to get OTJ there, move there for the for however long that you have to and then leave.

Good luck.
          I think I wouldn't be because its a job that I want and would not turn down. But learning from PD friends you do not live where you play unless you want to CCW all the time. I myself would rather take as many tests as possible and hope to get on with them or another agency but by obviously them stating they only take residence its really a mute point.

Originally posted by americanpolice View Post
          its no different than suffolk county advertising its open to westchester, rockland, putnam etc and charging $100 per head when the chances are getting hired from there are like winning the lottery.

lets not forget, yonkers is a city of almost 200k so theres a large pool to choose from.

as to the tax argument- whether u live or work in yonkers, u pay the income tax.
          I think its not a large pool just one that will earn enough for them to hire from the city. If they are only looking for 10 to 15 officers that is enough for a city its size. If they are looking for more then that; I highly doubt Yonkers has enough "qualified" canidates in just the city itself.

Originally posted by NYJets44288 View Post
          Nassau and Suffolk PD have no preference in residency. If you're list #1 and you're from Putnam County, that's just fine to them.
          The only preference on the county list is if you live in the town or the city/village that has its own department and is looking. Long Beach prefers residents but is not limited to them, along with every other place on LI that has PD.

Comment

Candidates must be legal residents of Westchester, Nassau, Putnam, Rockland or Bronx County for at least three (3) months immediately preceding the date of the written examination and continuously up to and including the date of appointment. PREFERENCE IN APPOINTMENT WILL BE GIVEN TO SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WHO HAVE BEEN LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE CITY OF YONKERS FOR AT LEAST THREE (3) MONTHS IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING THE DATE OF THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION AND CONTINUOUSLY UP TO AND INCLUDING THE DATE OF APPOINTMENT.
            Where does it say in the requirements that you have to reside in Yonkers for your entire career?? I dont think it states it! It just states that you have to reside at the above counties to take the test. Preference is given to its town residents which there is nothing wrong with it. Many PD's do it this way.If you were to decide to move to Yonkers to gain somewhat of advantage, you ( NOT YOU DIRECTLY ) are a nobody to the actual filth that reside there. They are not going to make you a target because you are in the process. Once you get appointment, its a different story. Run out of dodge like every one else.

As far as not having enough qualified residents,I think you are wrong. Just out of curiousity, why do you think that?

So you are telling me that within The City of Yonkers, Westchester, Nassau, Putnam, Rockland or Bronx County that there arent enough qualified people. You might might be able to find that just in the town itself. Not everyone in Yonkers are dirtbags.

Good luck!
            We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

To qualify for yonkers residency for THIS test you had to have been a legal Yonkers resident by 8/14/09 and must remain one up until your date of appointment, then you can move wherever you want too! Using your friends address will get by for now, but when they look to hire they do extensive background checks and will remove you from the list when they find out you lied. Not to mention, at the bottom of the application you have to sign the agreement that all of the information you filled out on the application is true. i.e. DOB and legal residence

Yonkers is the biggest city in westchester and employs over 600 officers... Im sure they can find a few candidates between the ages of 18-34 that are qualified for the position and in the past it has been very competitive... An 85 is the lowest you could score to be looked at it, this past list however has dropped down into the 70s (they are being given there PAT next month). Even then, there are still 80s that are left of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by nasa808 View Post
                Where does it say in the requirements that you have to reside in Yonkers for your entire career?? I dont think it states it! It just states that you have to reside at the above counties to take the test. Preference is given to its town residents which there is nothing wrong with it. Many PD's do it this way.If you were to decide to move to Yonkers to gain somewhat of advantage, you ( NOT YOU DIRECTLY ) are a nobody to the actual filth that reside there. They are not going to make you a target because you are in the process. Once you get appointment, its a different story. Run out of dodge like every one else.

As far as not having enough qualified residents,I think you are wrong. Just out of curiousity, why do you think that?

So you are telling me that within The City of Yonkers, Westchester, Nassau, Putnam, Rockland or Bronx County that there arent enough qualified people. You might might be able to find that just in the town itself. Not everyone in Yonkers are dirtbags.

Good luck!
                I think what I'm saying to everyone is that while its great to think you have a chance; in reality unless you are a resident (the people the city wants) they are only using you for income. I'm not saying it is a bad thing I'm just saying why even open it up to other counties if you really only want Yonkers residents. As for why I think their are not enough qualified canidates I'll use the numbers game.

Say they want 50 officers; and 2,000 people show up for the test. Of that 300 are city residents. Ok; they only want 85 or higher so that cuts the list down to about 200 give or take. Of those 200, 40 fail the PT so now we are around 160 or so. Another 10 have bad credit, 20 have a couple of driving records that put them in jepordy. So we're down to 130. 50 or so fail the rest of their BI so we are now down to 80 possibilities. Then another 30 don't look so hot on the Lie Detector. So we are at 50; now we have Chief Interviews and then 4 are let go. 46 of the 300 city residence are offered the job leaving 4 open spots not including at least 2 or 3 who'll wash out at the academy.

I think after reading wannabe's message of
                Originally posted by wannabe50
                An 85 is the lowest you could score to be looked at it, this past list however has dropped down into the 70s (they are being given there PAT next month). Even then, there are still 80s that are left of the list.
                is basically saying to me we did not have enough of our residence pass so we want to assure we get our numbers with just us only.

My one big problem with civil service is that it can be adjusted to find the appropriate numbers and not the appropriate people.

Comment

I have a cousin who works for Yonkers PD and resides in the bronx and always has it took him 3 years after he took the test to get in but he did... Its a long wait but they dont only hire yonkers residents. May I add he's also Hispanic.

Comment

I'm thinking about taking this test...I'm currently a sworn leo, but I reside in the bronx...dunno, maybe I'll have a shot considering they won't have to retrain me completely thus saving $

Comment

Originally posted by gunslash View Post
                      I'm thinking about taking this test...I'm currently a sworn leo, but I reside in the bronx...dunno, maybe I'll have a shot considering they won't have to retrain me completely thus saving $
                      gunslash I would go for it in your case...

Comment

airlinered.... the reason why they are digging deeper into the list now is because the last exam was reportedly much more difficult then the previous, thats why there were no 100s and only a handful of 95s.... in this case, getting a 95 is like a normal 100, 90 like a 95, 85 like 90 and 80 like 85

Comment

Originally posted by wannabe50 View Post
                          airlinered.... the reason why they are digging deeper into the list now is because the last exam was reportedly much more difficult then the previous, thats why there were no 100s and only a handful of 95s.... in this case, getting a 95 is like a normal 100, 90 like a 95, 85 like 90 and 80 like 85
                          I really wish I took that exam.

Comment

Originally posted by Airlinerd View Post
                            I really wish I took that exam.
                            dude, that makes 2 of us

Comment

Yonkers has more than enough qualified people to become police officers that live in the city
                              Last edited by 08NY; 05-30-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Yeah kudos to Yonkers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4672 users online. 264 members and 4408 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X