300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SALARY$$ Question?? For rookies..2010

I would like to know if anyone has heard about the new raise is it going to be more (alot more) or they going to drop it. b/c I see some posts stating that are waiting it out till new raise?

What new raises?

Are you speaking of the contract that was passed last year?

If so, then yes starting pay has been raised as well as top pay.
    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Get on asap! I can see them trying to drop the starting pay again when they start negotiating the next contract.

Comment

I am assuming that you are referring to the current NYPD contract. That contract was passed last year and expires in July of 2010. When the contract expires, the salary for police officers will more than likely drop. Hopefully the starting salary will not go back down to $25,100 a year, but in this economy it is a definite possibility. As stated before, get on ASAP. In this economy, without an active contract, who knows how much NYC will pay (Or should I say won't pay) the NYPD. I could see the NYPD easily getting stuck in another situation where they are one of the lowest paid police departments in the country and will have a serious problem recruiting quality police officer candidates.

Comment

NFA5426 are youo serious

You think they are going to drop the salary again!!??why so.

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
            Not gonna happen.

They could not fill classes with crap pay and some of the people they hired would never been hired today.
            but in this economy many of the highly qualified applicants are still sticking it out waiting for the next class. if they cut the salary tomorrow i dont think i'd want the job any less. it's scary, silly and perhaps irresponsible, but true
            exam 7047
            all done. waiting...

Comment

Fact is if they drop the salary the quaility of candidates will go down. Most people are not going to work for 25k a year and the new proposed pension if they can just as easily get a better job. Fact is 25k a year to start will have you on wellfare. You can not afford to live anywhere in new york for that, unless you are already rich or are being supported by someone. I myself would have took the job last year. I knew it was going up plus i lived at home and this was my dream job. Now this is still my dream job, but i have real bills that will not allow me to live off of that pay.

Comment

it was only 25k for 6 months.

Comment

From January 2006 to July 2008, academy was 25, graduation was 32, year and a half was 34, two and a half was 39, three and a half was 41, four and a half was 44, five and a half (top pay) was 59. (of course not including OT, night Diff, or uniform allowance)

Comment

Not gonna happen.

They could not fill classes with crap pay and some of the people they hired would never been hired today.
                    Funny, thats what the PBA said last time and guess what a whole bunch of boneheads still took the job. PD doesnt care about quality, as long as they get people in the seats at the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Xjarhead View Post
                      Funny, thats what the PBA said last time and guess what a whole bunch of boneheads still took the job. PD doesnt care about quality, as long as they get people in the seats at the academy.
                      Based on the newspaper coverage of the last several graduations it would appear the only thing the NYPD is concerned about is diversity. They have basically been tripping over themselves to get to the mic to spew out that, "this is the most diverse class ever." Whether or not that diversity leads to quality PO's (the only factor that should matter regardless of what skin color they are) seems to be secondary; pretty sad if you ask me.

Does anyone here really care what the ethnic makeup of an officer is while he or she is responding to your call for help? I know I wouldn't (and at the current hiring rate I most likely won't get to), but apparently the city does.

To the point of this thread though, I would bet that the next contract will again lower the starting pay as the city screams "economic recession" during the negotiations. This accompanied with the proposed Tier 5 pension and the slowed hiring process makes me very sad.

Comment

to lower the salary the only way the union would go for it would be to higher it on the other end. So it works out for everyone in the long run.

Comment

Bargaining

The lower salary while in the Academy was an Arbitator's decision, not the arbitrary caprice of the City of New York.
                          The current contract between the PBA and the City is the first time since 1991-1995 that they have both been able to reach an agreement in bargaining.
                          Although I am not a labor Attorney I do not believe the the City can arbitrarily lower union wages set by contract, even if the contract has expired.

Comment

The point is the city wanted a lower starting salary and PERB gave it to them! When the PBA goes back to PERB ( which it will cause they will not settle for what the city will try to shove down our throats) PERB will lower starting pay again. The only reason the city settled w/ the PBA w/o going to PERB for the four 4's is because it was running up on an election year and Bloomy wants to look like he cares about the safety of the city.

Comment

They may lower it, and yes they had problems recruiting.

But guess what? The city doesn't put in 1200 classes anymore. They may in the future, they may not. Who knows for sure. So if they reduce the pay, they will have enough people. I know I had no problem applying when it was that low.

But yes get on while you can. Currently it is 22 years to retire, not 25. But im sure thats on the way....

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6181 users online. 304 members and 5877 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X