Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking News NYPD planning to hire 4000 cops over the next four years

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...d_nearly_.html

More than 3,900 new police officers could soon be working in New York City, thanks to extra federal funding.

Approximately 400 cops could be hired in the next few months as part of the $1 billion set aside for new police officers in President Obama's economic stimulus package, Rep. Anthony Weiner said yesterday.

The proposed Obama budget also includes federal funding for an additional 3,500 cops the city could hire over the next four years.

The federal government would pick up 75% of the funding for those new hires as part of the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program.

"Our safety challenges can't take a backseat to our economic ones," said Weiner (D-Brooklyn, Queens).

"The COPS program is a proven winner, cutting crime and making neighborhoods safe in New York City."

The extra funds could offset last month's news that the NYPD was being forced by the city's fiscal crisis to cancel its 2010 rookie class, eliminating 1,000 positions
    Last edited by PDAux; 03-02-2009, 12:22 AM.
    NYPD

Hopefully that would be true, that way I won't do 2years on foot.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Yeah I hope its true to man, i took a recent exam and although Im still getting the college credits, i want to begin processing as soon as I hit 60 credits, stay safe out there john.
      NYPD

Comment

I know its all "could" happen but it is nice finally hear something good.

Comment

This week's issue of The Chief (NYC's Civil Service Newspaper) also mentioned the stimulus would be paying for an additional "440" officers to be hired.

Keeping my fingers crossed that translates to a July Class in the 700's.
          Last edited by TobaKnight; 03-02-2009, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
            Hopefully that would be true, that way I won't do 2years on foot.
            haha I thought the same thing, I've already been on foot for 8 months and "they" are telling us we have at least another year left

Comment

Looks like I'll definitely be in the July class.

Comment

Kool!!!
                Exam 8322
                List# 5XX
                Medical: Passed
                Written: Passed
                Oral: Passed
                Meet with BI: Done
                JST: Passed
                1st Mini-Med: Passed
                2nd Mini-Med: Passed 11/29/11

Let's go January 2012!!!

Comment

About time we get some good news... hey if this goes threw, we should all be in by july or january 2010

Good Luck guys
                  stay positive!

Comment

we dont need 3900 police officers...we need 3900 cops

Comment

Originally posted by gunslash View Post
                      haha I thought the same thing, I've already been on foot for 8 months and "they" are telling us we have at least another year left
                      being on foot is cool too, but it gets boring after a while. I like picking up jobs and most of the time the jobs are 15blocks away from post. Also on foot you kind of get to do what you want since you're not a slave to the radio. it has it bad things and good things about it.
                      "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Originally posted by ItIsWhatItIs73 View Post
                        we dont need 3900 police officers...we need 3900 cops
                        Great point. Another thing is where is all of this money going to come from to keep these cops for the remainder of there career. Yeah its nice to have money to hire these cops but will there be money to keep these cops when they reach top pay if the city hasn't recovered by then. Or will they be laid off.

Comment

Sounds good for guys waiting to get into the academy! Good Luck!

Comment

No one knows the answer of what exam they will be going up to. According to their site they will be making it to 7011, I highly doubt even if we have a huge class that will change much.

Comment

This is cool and all but it means classes will be around 500 each for the next 4 years. If you are taking a test now, you will be waiting for a LONG time IMO.
                              NYPD Exam 7/12/08
                              #8305: 94%

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
                              JST 9/2/08 - Done
                              Written Psych 9/9/08 - Done
                              Meeting BI 9/10/08 - Done
                              Oral Psych 09/25/08 - Done
                              Mini - Med - 11/04/08 - Done

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2951 users online. 118 members and 2833 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X