300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monroe County Sheriffs

I was wondering if anyone has heard or received anything from the Monroe County Sheriff's Exam given November 17th, 2007. I scored an 85 on it and was ranked like 107 but never received anything. If anyone knows anything I would appreciate your info.

They only processed as far down as the "90" band. Those who scored 85 or below probably will not get processed.

They don't process strictly by list number like a lot of other agencies do. They process by band. After veterans points, there were 136 people who scored an 85. You could be #107 on the list, and I could be #243 on the list. As far as they're concerned, we are both #107 on the list because we have the same score. We would both get invites for further processing at the same time.

Last I heard, they were only going to put one class through the academy from this list. If they processed those who scored 85, they would have had too many candidates to process.

The short answer is: Don't get your hopes up with an 85.
    Last edited by hxd; 09-16-2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hxd View Post
      They only processed as far down as the "90" band. Those who scored 85 or below probably will not get processed.

They don't process strictly by list number like a lot of other agencies do. They process by band. After veterans points, there were 136 people who scored an 85. You could be #107 on the list, and I could be #243 on the list. As far as they're concerned, we are both #107 on the list because we have the same score. We would both get invites for further processing at the same time.

Last I heard, they were only going to put one class through the academy from this list. If they processed those who scored 85, they would have had too many candidates to process.

The short answer is: Don't get your hopes up with an 85.
      One thought if your discouraged with trying to get hired here in Western NY and your not making much progress would be to consider Jobs in Charlotte NC or Raleigh don't end up waiting forever if you want to be a cop keep all your options open. The pay is not as high but You have a job sometimes you just need to weigh all options.

Comment

Yeah, I got the call for the agility test for them back in June (score of 90) but I had a sudden death in the family and had to go out of town for several days.

I'm also on the Erie County list and pased the agility there. But besides a "personal history review", which consisted of verifying your residency and other credentials, I have not heard from them. I think police hiring is going to be very restricted for quite awhile due to the economy/budget issues throughout the state.

Comment

I concur with hxd. They indeed did only process through the 90 band, so the only people who were considered scored a 90 or higher.

But, regarding the issue of having only one class from the list may or may not be true. The MCSO will be facing a wave of retirements over the next 12-18 months since the contract expires at the end of this year. Many deputies are already over their 20-year window and will likely want to jump ship under the current contract so their retirement pay is locked in. The fear is that if the contract negotiations somehow go south, and the retirement pay is somehow adjusted downward, many deputies now eligible to retire might be kicking themselves if they stay on through the entrance of the new contract next year.

Short answer, if you scored an 85, you may not get looked at right now. But, the list is good through the spring of 2009, so it's possible you might get looked at if staffing levels drop too low too fast.

Also bear in mind the Rochester Police Department is having a test this November and the application deadline is sometime in early October. RPD is having another academy class next spring. They are facing some serious staffing issues, so new officers will probably have the best luck getting their foot in the door by going to RPD to get started. You can always lateral once your year probation is up.

Comment

Thank you for those who responded. Ricker99, thank you for RPD suggestion. I am actually currently processing with them right now. I have an interview with my Background Officer on October 30th. I received an 85 on this exam as well. Hopefully it will be good enough.

Comment

TBacon...good luck with your interview and the rest of the process, I have my interview with my BI Officer on Oct 9th..

Comment

I scored in the 80s on this test as well. I don't think there will be another for a while. Signed up to take RPD in November though.

Comment

Just a quick update. Thus far, MCSO has hired 16 people off the current list. A couple were in May, and the majority were in August. There was a huge number of people who declined the job. There was also a huge number of people who weren't offered the job because they didn't meet the residency requirements.

So far, the towns PDs (Greece, Brighton, Irondequoit, Gates, Webster, etc) have hired less than a half-dozen off the list.

Comment

I think I read the list was good for 1 year. Any idea when the next test might be?

Comment

Deleted double post
                      Last edited by 95mercury; 09-29-2008, 01:32 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

The current list is set to expire at the end of February 2009. They usually have the option of extending the list up to two more years.

If they were going to have another exam this year, I'd expect them to time it so that it's on the same day as the NYSPP exam on November 15th. There hasn't been anything announced, so I don't see an exam happening this year.

Comment

I have received good information that MCSO will begin processing the next "band" of applications on the last civil service test. They have exhausted the list for people who scored 100, 95, and 90. Civil service always processes in batches of "threes", so the next batch of people eligible to be processed will have scored 85, 80, and 75. They expect to have a number of new recruits processed in time for a tentative academy start date in mid to late February 2009. The current academy already underway has the recruits who scored in the top batch of the list, 100 through 90. If you scored 85 to 75, keep your eyes and ears open.

Comment

Must be they couldn't find enough people who's last name ends in a vowel LOL !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ricker99 View Post
                              I have received good information that MCSO will begin processing the next "band" of applications on the last civil service test... They expect to have a number of new recruits processed in time for a tentative academy start date in mid to late February 2009... If you scored 85 to 75, keep your eyes and ears open.

Let's hope this is the case! HXD, have you heard the same? You seem to be "in the know"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5083 users online. 277 members and 4806 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X