X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levy pulls more cops

Levy pulls more cops from state roadsBY REID J. EPSTEIN | [email protected]
    12:50 PM EDT, September 15, 2008
    Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy removed all county police officers from patrol duty on the Long Island Expressway and Sunrise Highway at 10 a.m. Monday morning, the capstone in his battle to force the State Police to monitor the roads.

Patrols were immediately assumed by Suffolk County Sheriff's deputies, said Sheriff Vincent DeMarco, who had but a few hours notice of the move.

"Things happen, things come up," DeMarco said. "I understand why some decisions are made. All I care about is that the public is safe."

Levy said he is "very comfortable" with the move, which he said will maintain the same level of officers as have patrolled the roads since July 1, when Levy pulled 13 officers from the roads.

Levy said it costs $42,000 less to have deputies patrol the highways than it does Suffolk police officers.

"This will generate savings and provide savings while we await further action from the state," he said.

For months, Levy has been embroiled in a high-stakes game of chicken with state government officials. In April, he and Nassau County Executive Thomas Suozzi pledged to begin pulling their county police officers from the LIE if the state did not provide funding or state troopers to do the job.

In July, Levy pulled the first batch of officers from the roads, though Suozzi has yet to make a similar move.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny...0,110206.story

Suozzi is not and will not pull NCPD from the highways....especially after buying all those new highway chargers.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
      Suozzi is not and will not pull NCPD from the highways....especially after buying all those new highway chargers.
      I hope your right. I hope Suozzi also keeps on track with the hiring of new police.

Comment

what would happen if (and its a long shot) the county did not even hire one cop off of the 2007 exam?
        NYPD EXAM 3310 Taken 09/2012

Comment

Bring back the Long Island State Parkway Police and put the Troopers in the LIE

Comment

OR have the LIE and eastern part of Sunrise patrolled by NCPD/SCPD and the state kicks back more money per summons.
            Right now I believe county only gets about $3 per summons.
            sigpic

Comment

Nassau isn't going to remove officers from the highway. And they only have 2 highway chargers 2252 and 2262. They never use the things but I saw a darn 97 crown vic on the LIE the other day. ew.

Comment

I do not think anyone knows how much the country gets per summons. So much BS in the middle of the smoke and mirrors.

I dont mind who patrols the highways, SCPD and State Troopers are gentlemen. Nothing but good experiences from both agencies.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

They never use the things
                  they are out everyday. I saw one on a carstop today. They also have a few unmarked chargers I think.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh, okay then. But yeah, like I said, they have two. That's hardly a reason to not disband highway though. Lake Success has the sickest of the sick chargers though.

Comment

Looks like only 100 less officer in off the new list

Suozzi submits Nassau budget with tax increase

BY SID CASSESE | [email protected]
                      8:27 PM EDT, September 15, 2008

Police department reductions and consolidations account for nearly a fourth of the $69.5 million in savings that accompany County Executive Thomas Suozzi's 3.9 percent property tax raise in his proposed 2009 budget.

The tax hike in the $2.6 billion budget proposal, submitted to the legislature by Suozzi at 5 p.m. Monday, will raise $30.5 million in revenue, averaging $58 per home. Suozzi called it a "balanced budget."

The police department actions include civilianizing about 100 jobs held by sworn officers in various unions, who will return to the streets. Subsequently, new police hires will drop by about 100. Civilian employees earn much less than police officers.

The Police Benevolent Association agreed to a deferral in its cost-of-living increase that will save Nassau $8.2 million next year. It will lose 50 jobs to civilians, saving the county $2.5 million, and it will let training be done on regular time, instead of overtime, saving another $1 million, Suozzi officials said.
                      Some of the givebacks came from negotiations that extend the current PBA contract three years, to 2015, although neither the county legislature nor the union's rank-and-file have yet approved the extension.

"We did not want the county to do anything that would jeopardize the safety of the public and our officers," said PBA president Jim Carver. "And we expect our membership to go along with that when our ballots are counted on October 1."

Up to $3 million will be saved by civilianizing some jobs held by superior officers and detectives; another $2.8 million is expected to come through equipment and supply savings, said Deputy County Executive Thomas Stokes.

Instead of hiring advanced medical technicians part time to offset overtime, the county will hire 10 full-timers at a starting salary of $25,000 a year instead of the current $36,300. Officials said that could save $200,000.

Jerry Laricchiuta, president of the Civil Service Employee Association, said the union might go along with the reduced starting salary "if it's in the best interest of everybody concerned and because those workers would catch up on salaries in two or three years."

But he said he strongly opposes consolidating police building and fleet maintenance workers with public works employees.

Stokes said the merger would save Nassau $1 million by making operations more efficient next year and more after that.

All information technology staff will be merged into the existing Department of Information Technology, saving $2.5 million, Stokes said. That move will include 20 civilian workers from the police department and is opposed by Laricchiuta.

Suozzi would cut utility costs $5.8 million by closing two buildings: 101 County Seat Dr. and the DPW Franklin Square garage.

The county Legislature will begin holding committee hearings on the budget Oct. 2, with a hearing before the full body Oct. 20.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny...,5685368.story

Comment

thats only about 10 less people per class. I wouldnt worry about it.
                        sigpic

Comment

gbotj.... always puts a positive light on things

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
                          thats only about 10 less people per class. I wouldnt worry about it.
                          Last edited by Jak_bot; 09-15-2008, 10:59 PM.
                          NYPD EXAM 3310 Taken 09/2012

Comment

lol

I'm a glass half full guy.
                            sigpic

Comment

What happens to Motor Carrier Safety? Who handles fatal MVA investigations? What happens to the motorcycles (I was told the deputies have their own motorcycle unit)?

BTW: I saw about 1,000 deputies on the LIE and Sunrise yesterday .... where did they all come from? Did they put every deputy on duty or something?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5653 users online. 355 members and 5298 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X