Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Investigator contacting previous employer question...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigator contacting previous employer question...

Hey guys, I worked for a place for about 5 years and unfortunately ended up quitting to go into business for myself IN THE SAME INDUSTRY because it was what I knew. I went into business with one of my customers. I did nothing illegal or anything but my previous boss pretty much despises me now because of that. I now left that partner because it just didnt work out and am, working for another competitor of my first job. In my industry there isnt THAT many places that do what we do. Where I work now and my previous employer are THE only 2 businesses in suffolk county that do what we do, so its somewhat of direct competition.

Now my question is, with consideration to the pettiness of my previous boss, am I going to have a problem after explaining this to my BI? I know they send out packets to previous employers and so on, so I'm worried that I'm going to have an issue when my previous employer writes down I'm a horrible person, etc... I mean my 5 years of employment should show some commitment, but who knows. Anyone have any insight to this situation?

-Steve

Originally posted by MercuryEvo View Post
    Hey guys, I worked for a place for about 5 years and unfortunately ended up quitting to go into business for myself IN THE SAME INDUSTRY because it was what I knew. I went into business with one of my customers. I did nothing illegal or anything but my previous boss pretty much despises me now because of that. I now left that partner because it just didnt work out and am, working for another competitor of my first job. In my industry there isnt THAT many places that do what we do. Where I work now and my previous employer are THE only 2 businesses in suffolk county that do what we do, so its somewhat of direct competition.

Now my question is, with consideration to the pettiness of my previous boss, am I going to have a problem after explaining this to my BI? I know they send out packets to previous employers and so on, so I'm worried that I'm going to have an issue when my previous employer writes down I'm a horrible person, etc... I mean my 5 years of employment should show some commitment, but who knows. Anyone have any insight to this situation?

-Steve
    Just curious about what industry you worked for. The way you worded it, it sounds like something TOP SECRET!!

My advice is to let your BI know about it before he sends out the forms to your old employer. Let him/her know that you feel like your boss was/is being unreasonable when it comes to the fact that you were just trying to advance your career. But mainly, if this really is a problem, make sure the BI hears it from you first.
    NYPD Exam #8000

Comment

MercuryEvo:

I hope things work out for you.

Just for a little lighthearted perspective, with apologies in advance for it:

[smartaleck]
      Hank Hill gets mad at Buck Strickland and, I tell you what, quits his job selling propane and propane accessories at Stickland Propane and goes to work for Boomhauer, who is his biggest propane customer due to constant accommodation of women wanting to relax in his dang ol hot tub and that there dang ol pool man, and for Bill, who has to do a heck of a lot of BBQ to maintain that belly, and for Dale, who needs all those large propane canisters for undisclosed reasons. Thatherton starts buddying up to Boomhauer and Bill and Dale in succession, and manages to contrive and connive to get them to get their fuel from Thatherton Fuels. Hank remembers how horrifying things were at the MegaLoMart, what with punk kids bossing him about his name tag and all. So Hank approaches Peggy with a lowered head and gets her to let him work for Thatherton. I can't imagine Buck not hosing Hank on a subsequent request for a reference. "The Sheriff's Department? Well Sheriff, we don't pro or con, but I can tell ya, Hank's no Sheriff's Deputy. He's a propane man, good as gold, except when he's backstabbin' ya to yer competitor. OK. See you on the links." Looks like we got us an episode, I tell you what.
      [/smartaleck]

Sorry about the exploitation for humor of a situation that probably is serious for you. My apologies to Mike Judge and the other "King of the Hill" people, too.

I just think you're worrying too much about what others might say about you. From your posts you seem to me to be enterprising and conscientious. As long as you know you're competent and honest and decent, and that you have a credible and reasonable explanation and self-acquittal if someone says otherwise, I think you shouldn't worry about a vindictive former employer. You're not subordinate to your former employer anymore. Just stay good at your line of work. Even if all you do is stay good at being a good worker, you should be fine.

Best wishes to you in your endeavors.

Regards,

Monty
      Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BayRidge View Post
        Just curious about what industry you worked for. The way you worded it, it sounds like something TOP SECRET!!

My advice is to let your BI know about it before he sends out the forms to your old employer. Let him/her know that you feel like your boss was/is being unreasonable when it comes to the fact that you were just trying to advance your career. But mainly, if this really is a problem, make sure the BI hears it from you first.
        I work in the automotive performance industry, not wheels, radios and tint. Like custom fabrication, turbocharging, tuning, engine building, chassis work, etc...

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
        MercuryEvo:

I hope things work out for you.

Just for a little lighthearted perspective, with apologies in advance for it:

[smartaleck]
        Hank Hill gets mad at Buck Strickland and, I tell you what, quits his job selling propane and propane accessories at Stickland Propane and goes to work for Boomhauer, who is his biggest propane customer due to constant accommodation of women wanting to relax in his dang ol hot tub and that there dang ol pool man, and for Bill, who has to do a heck of a lot of BBQ to maintain that belly, and for Dale, who needs all those large propane canisters for undisclosed reasons. Thatherton starts buddying up to Boomhauer and Bill and Dale in succession, and manages to contrive and connive to get them to get their fuel from Thatherton Fuels. Hank remembers how horrifying things were at the MegaLoMart, what with punk kids bossing him about his name tag and all. So Hank approaches Peggy with a lowered head and gets her to let him work for Thatherton. I can't imagine Buck not hosing Hank on a subsequent request for a reference. "The Sheriff's Department? Well Sheriff, we don't pro or con, but I can tell ya, Hank's no Sheriff's Deputy. He's a propane man, good as gold, except when he's backstabbin' ya to yer competitor. OK. See you on the links." Looks like we got us an episode, I tell you what.
        [/smartaleck]

Sorry about the exploitation for humor of a situation that probably is serious for you. My apologies to Mike Judge and the other "King of the Hill" people, too.

I just think you're worrying too much about what others might say about you. From your posts you seem to me to be enterprising and conscientious. As long as you know you're competent and honest and decent, and that you have a credible and reasonable explanation and self-acquittal if someone says otherwise, I think you shouldn't worry about a vindictive former employer. You're not subordinate to your former employer anymore. Just stay good at your line of work. Even if all you do is stay good at being a good worker, you should be fine.

Best wishes to you in your endeavors.

Regards,

Monty
        very funny explanation Monty. To be honest this is just a side thought because if you've read any of my previous posts, my license history is going to be my real mountain to get over to get into the NYPD. But this thought did cross my mind. I will be letting my BI know of the situation though as soon as i meet him/her.

Comment

hey everyone i met with my BI back in june i'am currently on investigative review i believe it's because of my previous jobs after high school i had about 6 jobs. i was never fired from a job but 4 out of the 6 i just called them and told them i quit would that be a problem for any comments

Comment

Originally posted by cpuffj12 View Post
            hey everyone i met with my BI back in june i'am currently on investigative review i believe it's because of my previous jobs after high school i had about 6 jobs. i was never fired from a job but 4 out of the 6 i just called them and told them i quit would that be a problem for any comments

You believe or your investigator told you? Maybe its for something else?

Did you do your medical, JST, psych?
            NYPD Exam 7/12/08
            #8305: 94%

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
            JST 9/2/08 - Done
            Written Psych 9/9/08 - Done
            Meeting BI 9/10/08 - Done
            Oral Psych 09/25/08 - Done
            Mini - Med - 11/04/08 - Done

Comment

Originally posted by Alexp View Post
              You believe or your investigator told you? Maybe its for something else?

Did you do your medical, JST, psych?
              i pass my medical but when i met with her and gave her all my paper work she told me that i had about 9 jobs from the time i left h.s my d.l was also suspended for 1 day twice for not paying a fine that was stupid of me and i got 2 seatbelt tickets last year

Comment

Originally posted by cpuffj12 View Post
                i pass my medical but when i met with her and gave her all my paper work she told me that i had about 9 jobs from the time i left h.s my d.l was also suspended for 1 day twice for not paying a fine that was stupid of me and i got 2 seatbelt tickets last year
                sounds very similar to my problem.
                i've been on inv. review for almost a year already.
                NYPD
                Exam 4004 - 89 (about to expire)
                Exam 8307 - 89.412
                Medical - passed
                Meet with BI - Investigative review

Suffolk County PD
                2007 Exam - 86

LAPD
                Preliminary Background Application (PBA) - Completed
                Job Preview Questionnaire (JPQ) - Completed
                Awaiting "out-of-town" Expedited Testing dates

Comment

Oh i see, i guess its all because of traffic violations. Sorry to hear that, good luck guys.
                  NYPD Exam 7/12/08
                  #8305: 94%

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
                  JST 9/2/08 - Done
                  Written Psych 9/9/08 - Done
                  Meeting BI 9/10/08 - Done
                  Oral Psych 09/25/08 - Done
                  Mini - Med - 11/04/08 - Done

Comment

I think it wouldn't hurt to present a self-assessment paper in response to being placed on IR and ask that it be put into the Investigative Review file. Make sure someone you trust who fully understands the process looks it over before you submit it. It should say things that acknowledge the red flag issues and explain how you've addressed them so as to ensure that they won't be problematic in the future.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6328 users online. 345 members and 5983 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X