300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back in

Four years ago I was in the academy as a deputy sheriff for one of the counties here in upstate NY. Like an idiot I was playing church softball on a weekend and stepped in a hole or something and twisted up my knee. I was sent to a Ortho Dr. by my dept. and the Dr. said I had torn the ACL. So, I was dropped from the academy and lost my job.

WELL, as it turns out, I've been running all over the place doing all sorts of activities for the last 4 years and my knees have felt pretty good. So, I decided to go to a Dr. where I now live and get it checked. He did several tests and said "You didn't tear your ACL". He sent me for an MRI and after reading the results said again "You didn't tear your ACL".

So, I took my local tests again and cross filed like crazy with other agencies and scored real high. I rank high on all the lists (in the top 10 on all of them).

About a month ago, I took the PAT and passed with ease and about a week ago, I got a call to start the background investigation with two agencies (a sheriff's office and a city pd).

I REALLY HOPE TO GET BACK IN!!

What do you all think?
    "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

if I were you I'd contact the Sheriff's department that fired you, and file a suit to get hired and recieve backpay and seniority.

I dont think you will have a problem getting on another job, but contact that SD first.
    sigpic

Comment

I would also have that Doc who told you that you didn't tear your ACL put that in writing and I would hold onto that letter until you retire.

The lesson here: Always get a second opinion!!!

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
        if I were you I'd contact the Sheriff's department that fired you, and file a suit to get hired and recieve backpay and seniority.

I agree, partly. I would contact them if you are still interested in that agency.

But I don't see a law suit against that agency . He was a probationary employee while attending the academy. One of the requirements of becoming a permanent employee would have been to graduate from the academy. He didn't for whatever reason. The agency didn't do anything wrong.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

slowdownthere, I agree with you.

Thanks for the other counsel but three things:

First, I'm not looking to get even with any one. I really like the Sheriff and hold nothing against him, he did what he thought was best with the information he was given. Thats exactly what we would all expect as LEO's.

Second, I don't want something for nothing. I just want to get back into law enforcement. I don't care where it is, I just want to work and do this job. There is no legal action against anyone that hold interest to me.

Third, I moved away from that area to take another job. So getting back in there is really not an option.

I was more just looking for input on what people thought my chances were.
          Last edited by Driven; 08-27-2008, 10:03 PM. Reason: misspelling
          "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

From what you are saying, I don't think you'll have a problem getting back in. Good luck.

Comment

You were originally misdiagnosed.

Some Dr's think they can manipulate the knee joint and from feel and experience know what is wrong with the knee. Of course, if this is the first time the Dr has seen you, he has no previous knowledge of the amount of looseness your knee normally has and could be wrong. As in this case.
              A torn ACL will not heal itself, so if an MRI shows no tear, then you had a civil case against the original Dr. Now you have no case because of the time lapsed. You stated you have no interest in a civil suit in any case, so a moot point.
              Keep originals of the second opinion, YOU keep originals of the MRI, have them ready IF asked at future employment interviews.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6180 users online. 355 members and 5825 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X