Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I expect when stopped with a pistol in NY?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMT322636
    replied
    before I became a CO, I carried 24/7 on my permit. I got stopped once up here near watertown, and gave the officer my driving stuff and my pistol permit, told him I was carrying and he gave me a look like so what? and said ok, good for you.

Leave a comment:

• jerry40
    replied
    Originally posted by gbotj View Post
    I believe with a to & from permit, the firearm has to be unloaded and locked up (in the trunk?)
    Only when traveling through NYC.

Leave a comment:

• gbotj
    replied
    I believe with a to & from permit, the firearm has to be unloaded and locked up (in the trunk?)

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    You could very well be a collar.....and you would not have to prove anything.

Leave a comment:

• jerry40
    replied
    What would happen if you were stopped when carrying with a "To & from Shooting Range/Hunting" permit and lets say it was nighttime or you weren't near a shooting range. What would happen in that situation? Would you have to prove somehow to the LEO that you were recently shooting or hunting?

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    A "license" is permission from an authorizing agency to perform a function, i.e., carry a weapon, drive a car. The issuing agency has the authority to revoke, limit, or just exam your license at any time. You cannot refuse to hand over your driver's license in a car stop. And check your CCW, I'd bet it states that you have to surrender your license and handguns to any Police Officer that demands same.

Leave a comment:

• NYSFI39
    replied
    GrayState-Gotcha, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• GrayState
    replied
    Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrayState
    replied
    Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NYSFI39
    replied
    Originally posted by GrayState View Post
    You carry a lot more than me
    I can't speak for other officers, but I take the gun, run it to make sure it's not stolen, and return it and the ammo with a "have a good day/night" and probably no ticket if you offered it up voluntarily.

GrayState-Just a quick question, I'm assuming you ask the operator for the gun, what if he/she said, "no I don't want to give it to you, I just told you I had it in case you saw it." What would you do?

Leave a comment:

• moggie6
    replied
    I was stopped twice, once by a NYS Trooper and the other by the TPPD. Both times I gave the Trooper and the Officer my ID and they had no problem with is. The Trooper pulled me out of the car and ran the gun and matched everything up with the computer and told me to have a good night. The Police Officer said ok, ran my info, and I went on my way. Both of them were very professional and no harm no foul.

I live in Dutchess County and the only thing a few LE friends of mine told me was to be carefull in some of the more "restrictive" counties. The officers just don't see people with CCW permits on a regular basis so they will check out your story.

Leave a comment:

• GrayState
    replied
    Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 19delta
    replied
    If you move from one county to another, you don't have to move your permit to the new county. you can keep it with your original county as it is a STATE permit, not a COUNTY permit.

Leave a comment:

• jerry40
    replied
    Originally posted by MercuryEvo View Post
    +1. But what about people who own upstate houses in those counties? They can just walk in, take a class and carry a gun around down here in suff/nass?

-Steve
    You would have to establish permanant residency in your upstate home (live and recieve mail there for prob 3-6 months) then apply for the permit. That'd be the only way around it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pcs258
    wow...you see that makes tooo much sense to allow that here in "downstate" haha

also....i'm assuming there is a residency requirement before you can apply for a pistol permit in any one of those counties. otherwise people in nassau/suffolk could just apply for and eventually receive an unrestricted permit in one of the upstate counties and it would be valid on Long Island.
    +1. But what about people who own upstate houses in those counties? They can just walk in, take a class and carry a gun around down here in suff/nass?

-Steve

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4927 users online. 308 members and 4619 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X