Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I expect when stopped with a pistol in NY?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I expect when stopped with a pistol in NY?

I live in Broome county and have an unrestricted pistol permit, which gives me the ability to conceal carry and I carry 99% of the time I'm outside the house.

I know that sooner or later I'll get a traffic stop... brake light out, speeding, ect, it happens every couple of years.

What can I expect when I give the officer my license & pistol permit and tell him I'm armed here in upstate NY?

It seems that folks in NY carry a lot less than other states, probably because half the counties will only issue "hunting & target shooting" permits.

So am I looking forward to a felony stop or a "thats nice, what ya got?" type conversation?

If you are legally armed and in the county that issued you said license to carry, I don't see a problem.
    NYPD January 2009
    Medical - 9/02/08 - Pass
    JST - 9/03/08 - Pass
    Written Psych - 09/15/08 - Completed
    Oral Psych - 09/30/08 - Completed
    Meet with BI - 10/13/08 - Completed

Comment

IMO after handing over your papers, dont reach for anything unless the officer directs you to. Also keep your hands where he can see them.
      sigpic

Comment

Like scps said should be no problem.

I find its makes the officer stopping you a little more "comfortable" if you give your pistol license along with your drivers license when asked for your "license and registration". Rather than him not knowing an then noticing a "bulge" or pistol handle. That's when the felony stop thing comes into play.

If you let them know up front, sure, I'd be curious to see what you have!http://forums.officer.com/forums/images/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by SCPS PO View Post
          If you are legally armed and in the county that issued you said license to carry, I don't see a problem.
          Would it be any different if I was in a different county?

My pistol permit is a NY-wide permit, it allows me to carry anywhere except NYC.

As per the NYSP webpage: "A pistol permit issued by an upstate county is valid in any other county in New York State except New York City."

I know some counties its almost impossible to get an unrestricted pistol permit, so if I'm stopped in one of those the local LEOs may not be as used to it as say a LEO from one of the counties up in the Adirondacks where most folks recieve unrestricted ones.

Comment

Originally posted by EngineerGuy View Post
            Would it be any different if I was in a different county?

My pistol permit is a NY-wide permit, it allows me to carry anywhere except NYC.

As per the NYSP webpage: "A pistol permit issued by an upstate county is valid in any other county in New York State except New York City."

I know some counties its almost impossible to get an unrestricted pistol permit, so if I'm stopped in one of those the local LEOs may not be as used to it as say a LEO from one of the counties up in the Adirondacks where most folks recieve unrestricted ones.
            If your Broome county permit states "unrestricted carry" or "full carry" you can carry your pistol(s) loaded and concealed practically ANYWHERE in NYS EXCEPT the 5 Boroughs of NYC. You can bring your guns into NYC but they MUST be inside a locked box unloaded and you can only be passing through when you have them (no side stops.) Congrats on your full carry permit though its a rarity in NYS. Full carry licenses are only usually given to politicans, celebrities or people who can can provide documented threats to their life. Their is no NYS law that says you must inform an officer that your carrying your weapon(s) when stopped but it is a common courtesy. Besides you've got a full carry license so you have nothing to hide, you might as well be up front with an officer stopping you.

Comment

Depends

As with most hypotheticals it depends;
              1. Where would this stop be.
              a. NYC you could be looking at an arrest.
              2. Nature of the traffic or other offense that makes the stop.
              3. You actions during the stop.
              a. "Furtive" movement could end up very wrong.
              4. The officer making the stop.
              5. Have you moved from Broome after securing the permit.

IMO, your best option is too secure the pistol off person, unless you figure to go "road rage" on somebody.

Comment

Once again, if you are issued a permit that allows for unrestricted carry in all counties except NYC, I don't see a problem.
                NYPD January 2009
                Medical - 9/02/08 - Pass
                JST - 9/03/08 - Pass
                Written Psych - 09/15/08 - Completed
                Oral Psych - 09/30/08 - Completed
                Meet with BI - 10/13/08 - Completed

Comment

Originally posted by pcs258
                  wow..unrestricted? do most of the counties upstate issue unrestricted permits?

thats not the case down in nassau/suffolk, especially nyc
                  A decent number of them either issue unrestricted or let you upgrade to unrestricted by either having a restricted for a certain amount of time or by taking a training course.

A quick list of counties where you can get an unrestricted are:

Broome County
                  Chenango County
                  Duchess County
                  Monroe County
                  Niagara County
                  Putnam County
                  Ulster County
                  Wayne County

It all depends on who's the issuing judge... Take Broome county for example, for the last 20 years it was almost impossible to get an unrestricted permit, then this year we got a new county judge elected (republican) and he started allowing unrestricted permits if you took an approved training class.

Comment

Originally posted by pcs258
                    wow...you see that makes tooo much sense to allow that here in "downstate" haha

also....i'm assuming there is a residency requirement before you can apply for a pistol permit in any one of those counties. otherwise people in nassau/suffolk could just apply for and eventually receive an unrestricted permit in one of the upstate counties and it would be valid on Long Island.
                    +1. But what about people who own upstate houses in those counties? They can just walk in, take a class and carry a gun around down here in suff/nass?

-Steve

Comment

Originally posted by MercuryEvo View Post
                      +1. But what about people who own upstate houses in those counties? They can just walk in, take a class and carry a gun around down here in suff/nass?

-Steve
                      You would have to establish permanant residency in your upstate home (live and recieve mail there for prob 3-6 months) then apply for the permit. That'd be the only way around it.

Comment

If you move from one county to another, you don't have to move your permit to the new county. you can keep it with your original county as it is a STATE permit, not a COUNTY permit.

Comment

Last edited by GrayState; 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

I was stopped twice, once by a NYS Trooper and the other by the TPPD. Both times I gave the Trooper and the Officer my ID and they had no problem with is. The Trooper pulled me out of the car and ran the gun and matched everything up with the computer and told me to have a good night. The Police Officer said ok, ran my info, and I went on my way. Both of them were very professional and no harm no foul.

I live in Dutchess County and the only thing a few LE friends of mine told me was to be carefull in some of the more "restrictive" counties. The officers just don't see people with CCW permits on a regular basis so they will check out your story.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayState View Post
                              You carry a lot more than me
                              I can't speak for other officers, but I take the gun, run it to make sure it's not stolen, and return it and the ammo with a "have a good day/night" and probably no ticket if you offered it up voluntarily.

GrayState-Just a quick question, I'm assuming you ask the operator for the gun, what if he/she said, "no I don't want to give it to you, I just told you I had it in case you saw it." What would you do?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4443 users online. 260 members and 4183 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X