300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick's Sporting Goods

Has anyone had a problem going to Dick's sporting goods and trying to buy 9mm range ammo?

I went into a dicks sporting goods upstate, tried buying ammo to go to a range with my friend. I showed my NYPD ID and they told me I needed to show them a concealed carry permit, they would not sell ammo to a police id.

I explained that as a PO we aren't required to obtain carry permits, and asked to see the manager. The manager said it came from corporate and there was nothing he could do. I figured it may be because I was upstate and they didn't want to accept an NYPD ID upstate. Then it happened to me when trying to buy ammo in nassau county at a dicks.

It seems rediculous that a company would rather sell ammo to any random iditiot with a carry permit than a police officer. Has anyone encountered this problem? Can anyone make sense of this????
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I have never had this problem buying pistol ammo. However I have been baffled by "store policy" when buying ammo/guns before.

I had a clerk at K-Mart tell me one time that I could not by ammo from his store because I had purchased a 12 ga. shotgun from them earlier that day. I said "fine, Im going across the street to Walmart."

Another time, I was in a gun shop buying some ammo, and when I got up the register to pay, they asked me for a thumb print. I asked "why?" The response I got was, "new store policy". I politely left my stuff on the counter and walked out.

If it's just Dicks Sporting goods giving you a hassle, shop elsewhere. Thats what I do when someone gives me a hard time.

Good luck.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Sometimes these store policys are just some dumb idea someone had that thought it would be the greatest policy. Any store that would rather sell ammo to some random CCW owner rather than a law enforcement officer doesnt deserve your business.

I'd laugh right in their face if they tried to explain to me how a PO can not buy ammo b/c they do not have a CCW permit.

Did you try the website? maybe the store policy is on there.
      What did they say when you explained to them how a police ID works, and what it means?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PTLovesMe81 View Post
        Has anyone had a problem going to Dick's sporting goods and trying to buy 9mm range ammo?

I went into a dicks sporting goods upstate, tried buying ammo to go to a range with my friend. I showed my NYPD ID and they told me I needed to show them a concealed carry permit, they would not sell ammo to a police id.

I explained that as a PO we aren't required to obtain carry permits, and asked to see the manager. The manager said it came from corporate and there was nothing he could do. I figured it may be because I was upstate and they didn't want to accept an NYPD ID upstate. Then it happened to me when trying to buy ammo in nassau county at a dicks.

It seems rediculous that a company would rather sell ammo to any random iditiot with a carry permit than a police officer. Has anyone encountered this problem? Can anyone make sense of this????
        I work at dicks sporting goods in roosvelt field mall... they sell ammo to anyone over 21, walter salowski's whos the cheif inspector his daughter shops in my store all the time, for gun cleaning stuff and what not. I'll find out tomorrow for sure, but that is odd.
        Exam - 7044

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
          i have purchased pistol ammunition by only showing my DL here in NC, no CCW or creds neccesary. dont know if there policy changes from state to state.
          I believe NYS law requires that you have a NY Pistol License to buy pistol ammo.
          Last edited by reils49; 08-21-2008, 10:08 PM.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

In New York, any Police Officer and any Peace Officer, who can carry on his badge, can buy ammo on his ID. Had that problem about 30 years ago in a lower Manhattan sporting goods store. I was in uniform and clerk wanted a permit.......got the manager and all was OK. Lodge a complaint with Dicks customer service.

Comment

they dont even ask to see a driver's license here in florida!

Comment

Originally posted by srq screw View Post
                they dont even ask to see a driver's license here in florida!
                Welcome to liberal 2nd amendment rights stripped NY!

Comment

DICKS! MAN! We musta been on the same page today.

I tried to buy a rifle today and they said.. "your ID is not good enough to buy this gun, do you have a rifle permit?".

When I asked him if he was serious or just yanking my chain, he said "well we had a meeting with the ATF and they said all NYPD POLICE OFFICERS need a permit to buy any sort of firearm from here".

I did the good old about face and ran outta there.

The guy tried telling me a 10 round magazine was illegal as well. I was polite enough for him to keep talking, but I was pretty upset that I couldnt get that rifle that was on sale at a sweet price.
                  Last edited by NYCTNT; 08-22-2008, 01:49 AM.
                  Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                    I tried to buy a rifle today and they said.. "your ID is not good enough to buy this gun, do you have a rifle permit?".

When I asked him if he was serious or just yanking my chain, he said "well we had a meeting with the ATF and they said all NYPD POLICE OFFICERS need a permit to buy any sort of firearm from here".

The guy tried telling me a 10 round magazine was illegal as well. I was polite enough for him to keep talking, but I was pretty upset that I couldnt get that rifle that was on sale at a sweet price.
                    I have never heard of a rifle permit. You should be able to buy a long gun and ammo for it with out a permit. They just have you fill out that yellow sheet where you mark everything no. They just check to make sure you are not a felon.

Comment

Walkijng out and not registering a complaint immediately and in writing just allows them to continue an illegal action.
                      Dicks's being dicks

Comment

I complained, politely, at Dick's about them leaving boxes of ammo out in the shoplifting area, and they didn't do their name minus the apostrophe s about it. I hate Dick's. I liked the local version of that store better when it was EMS.

Comment

Originally posted by 6Tango View Post
                          I have never heard of a rifle permit. You should be able to buy a long gun and ammo for it with out a permit. They just have you fill out that yellow sheet where you mark everything no. They just check to make sure you are not a felon.
                          Inside of NYC (5 Boros) you need a riflle and shotgun permit to possess a long gun. Its not like upstate where you can just purchase one with driver's license and no felonies.
                          CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
                          FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT

DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                            DICKS! MAN! We musta been on the same page today.

You have to shop upstate NY for all your rifle and shotgun needs. Westchester,Putnam,Orange,Rockland counties love all LEO business
                            CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
                            FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT

DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

Comment

I've had the same problem buying "pistol" ammo at a Dick's in NY state. Apparently they are unaware of rifles like the Ruger PC9 and PC40 which use 9mm and .40S&W respectively. I could buy the traditional "rifle" calibers with no problem.

Luckily, there was a Walmart next door which happily sold me the ammo, and for less money as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3831 users online. 222 members and 3609 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X