Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayor Bloomberg Announces Tentative Agreement With The Pba

By End of 4-Year Deal, Top Pay Will Be $91,823 Before Overtime

Agreement for Police Officers Provides Over 20% Increases in Compensation, Including Almost 17% in Salary

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Patrick J. Lynch, President of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association (PBA), announced that a tentative contract settlement has been reached with the PBA on a collective bargaining agreement covering the period from August 1, 2006 through July 31, 2010. The agreement, which is subject to ratification, covers over 23,000 police officers. This settlement marks the first time an agreement has been reached across the bargaining table with the PBA since 1994.

“We have the 23,000 police officers of the NYPD, as much as anyone, to thank for the low crime and heightened quality of life we enjoy in this City,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “The most important aspect of the contract is that it will raise the starting salary for rookie cops from $36,000, to over 40,000, and that will be retroactive to 2006. I have always believed that the best contract agreements are those that are reached at the bargaining table, and this is a good example of that.”

“Officers in the New York City Police Department shoulder responsibilities that exceed those of other officers across the country,” said Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly. “They have helped drive crime down to record lows. They more than deserve the increased compensation reflected in this new agreement.”

“This negotiated contract, the first for the PBA in almost 15 years, continues to move us toward a market rate of pay that our police officers have earned and so rightly deserve,” said PBA President Lynch said. “It brings a police officer’s top salary at contract’s end to $76,488 and our total monetary compensation package to over $94,000. The agreement also includes, for the first time, an historic escalator clause that links longevity pay and health and welfare benefits contributions to the percentage change of wage increases, ensuring that those substantial benefits automatically rise in the same proportion as salary. That link will serve to magnify each future increase in an officer’s earnings while insuring the long-term stability of our health and welfare funds for both active and retired officers. Additionally, major changes to work rules, including ones that allow police officers to mutually exchange tours and to better utilize existing sick leave will vastly improve the quality of life for our members. We are pleased that a dramatic change in the negotiating atmosphere has allowed for a real exchange of ideas and has resulted in a contract that deserves police officer’s support.”

The principal features of the settlement are:

• 4%, compounded, effective August 1, 2006
    • 4%, compounded, effective August 1, 2007
    • 4%, compounded, effective August 1, 2008
    • 4%, compounded, effective August 1, 2009

At the end of this contract, a police officer’s basic maximum salary will be $76,488, compared to the current amount of $65,382. With longevity pay, holiday pay, night shift differential and other additions, total compensation will be approximately $91,823, plus overtime. The total increase in compensation is 20.05 percent, including a compounded wage increase of 16.99 percent.

New Hires

The salary schedule for police officers hired on/after January 1, 2006, will be as follows:

Effective August 1, 2009

Appointment Rate
    $41,975

After 1.5 Years
    $43,644

After 2.5 Years
    $48,779

After 3.5 Years
    $53,270

After 4.5 Years
    $56,609

Basic Maximum after 5.5 years
    $76,488

Longevity Schedule

Effective July 31, 2008, the longevity schedule will be increased by $313 at each step. Also, effective July 31, 2008, these steps will be increased by any future general wage increases. In addition, effective July 31, 2010, the longevity schedule will be increased by $1,230 at each step.

Welfare Funds

Effective July 31, 2008, the City will contribute a $400 one-time lump sum payment per retiree to the Retiree Health and Welfare Funds and effective July 31, 2010, an additional $100 one-time lump sum payment per retiree shall be paid to the Retiree Health and Welfare Funds. In addition, effective July 31, 2008, the annual rate of contributions to the Active and Retiree Welfare Funds shall be increased by any future general wage increases.

Vacations

Effective July 31, 2010, employees hired on or after July 1, 2008, shall be entitled to thirteen (13) annual vacation days during their third, fourth and fifth years of service. In the recent PERB award, the number of vacation days was reduced for new hires in the first five years of service from 20 days to 10 days. The PBA has bought back three vacation days as part of this agreement.

Other Provisions

Effective July 1, 2008, the parties have agreed that the officers will qualify at the shooting range on a regular work day and will not surrender a vacation day or any other time or leave. Employees who have already utilized a vacation day shall have that day restored. A pilot program shall be established that will provide that eligible employees, who request sick leave for an injury or illness, shall no longer be subject to home visitation and confinement, outside the hours of the employee’s regularly scheduled tour of duty, provided the sick leave utilization remains at acceptable levels as negotiated by the parties.

Effective February 20, 2010, police officers assigned to Detective track commands as so-called “White Shield Detectives” shall work the same length of tour and number of appearances as currently worked by Detectives in the respective units to which they are assigned.

The procedures for mutual exchange of tours currently found in the Administrative Guide shall be incorporated into the collective bargaining agreement and in the Patrol Guide.

The Mayor thanked Deputy Mayor for Operations Edward Skyler, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly, PBA President Patrick J. Lynch and his committee, Labor Commissioner James F. Hanley and First Deputy Commissioner Margaret M. Connor and their team, and Budget Director Mark Page and his staff for their efforts in reaching this agreement.
    NYPD when???

wow, didn't see that coming, that is a nice new contract compared to any of the contracts that have come through in the last however many years.

One thing I don't understand, is the starting pay for Janury and July 09 still going to be the $36,000, seems like the article says it won't be 42,000 till after August 1, 2009... Am i reading that correctly? Will be retroactive though, good deal it seems.
    They also gave back the shooting range day as an on-duty day instead of having to be done off-duty. Also giving a few vacation days back that they took off in the last contract

whats everyones thoughts?
    Last edited by nypdhopeful09; 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM.
    NYPD when???

Comment

Congrads to all the current active NYPD officers, you guys deserve it!!!

Now i hope i get called up for medical soon before NYPD gets swarmed with new applicants. I predict that Oct exam will have a record number of people taking it.
      NYPD Exam 7/12/08
      #8305: 94%

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
      JST 9/2/08 - Done
      Written Psych 9/9/08 - Done
      Meeting BI 9/10/08 - Done
      Oral Psych 09/25/08 - Done
      Mini - Med - 11/04/08 - Done

Comment

This deal actually looks thoughtful and innovative. It's the first one in a long time that doesn't sell out rookies/unborns. Pat Lynch, you see the wonders of actually negotiating a deal instead of putting our contract in the hands of Albany bureaucrats? This may actually make people want to come on the job. Talking to old timers, the last time people wanted to come on the job was the mid 90's. Is it any coincidence that the last contract actually negotiated was in 1994?

Comment

Going to schedule my medical within the next week, really want to get the ball rolling and get into the january class... Hope everything goes well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Congrats to all current NYPD officers, and good luck to everyone trying to get into the January and July 09 academy. Finally a contract that shows a little bit of respect to the patrol officers.
          NYPD when???

Comment

wow I was processing already. This is just extra incentive. It seems lind of weird though with the budget crisis going on right now.
            NYPD
            Exam 5047- Passed
            Medical- Passed 8/27/08
            JST- Passed 9/8/08
            Written Psychological- Done 9/17/08
            Oral Psychological- Passed 10/2/08
            Meet with BI- Done 10/16/08
            Mini-Medical-Done 12/30/08
            Mini-Medical Part 2- 4/30/09
            Academy July 2009 (hopefully)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle G View Post
              wow I was processing already. This is just extra incentive. It seems lind of weird though with the budget crisis going on right now.
              Kyle, Have you scheduled your medical yet?

Originally posted by FutaCOP
              This is effective August 1st, so people going into Jan 09 / July 09 won't be under the agreement.
              Ya, thats what I thought. It's retroactive though so those 2 classes will be getting retro pay I believe.
              NYPD when???

Comment

After all benefits are factored in, over $91,000 before any OT is a well deserved bump in pay. I'm happy.

Comment

Let me go ahead and start my process for the next class this is what I have been waiting for. lol

Good luck fellas

Comment

I can see a lowwwww OT cap coming though.
                    I hope I'm wrong though.

Nice raise, but I wouldnt look too much at the 91k number. That "benefits package" goes on every jobs pay. So figure port authority PD gets 100k just for showing up everyday based on 2008 numbers. The 91k is based on 2010 numbers

Congrats though to everyone, looks like PO's can now afford to live in NY and have some spend money.
                    sigpic

Comment

Its definately a half decent contract to say the least. I like that they tied in longevity for future contracts and in addition, with those two bumps (313 and 1230) over the next two years with that its more like 5,5,5,5.

I think that this is a moral win too with the new hires (7/08 and on) getting some vacation time back and us getting that range day back.

Oh and the get out of jail while sick card is pretty cool too.

Can someone explain the mutuals to me? Don't we pretty much have this already where if you need a tour change they will give it to you body for body? How did this change anything?
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------
                      "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

its wierdd how during these financial times, the city gives us a deal with no givebacks...hmm. there might be something behind that... i guess bloomberg realizes that once the state troopers starts hiring, we gonna lose alotta people.. our top pay is like 1k less than theirs..

its not a great raise, but its better than zero's or givebacks.. hopefully after 2010 when this contact ends, we will be at market rate

Comment

Hopefully now they will get a stricter on the hiring.
                          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Originally posted by PTLovesMe81 View Post
                            bla bla bla....

Don't we pretty much have this already where if you need a tour change they will give it to you body for body? How did this change anything?
                            Body for a body?

Are you a police officer or just a warm body?

Get some pride in yourself. Your not a grumpy supervisor to be talking like that.

"Don't we pretty much have this already where if you need a tour change they will give it to you cop for cop?"
                            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

after they get flooded with applicants...they're gonna make everything tougher to get in. No more JST I bet. Theyre gonna make it the Cooper standard. That alone will make a major impact.

Maybe the NYPD is on its way to making a comeback?

Anyways, this is awesome news.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2919 users online. 203 members and 2716 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X