Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two NYPD Officers Accused Of Assaulting Motorist

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ss...orylist=jersey

NEW YORK (AP) — Two off-duty police officers who were stuck in traffic are facing charges they kicked, punched and pistol-whipped a man whose open car door was blocking their lane of traffic.

Kollen Robinson, 24, and Michelle Anglin, 37, have been stripped of their badges and guns and are being investigated by Internal Affairs, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Tuesday. The women have pleaded not guilty to gang assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

"If these allegations prove true, it's a horrendous case, a horrendous situation," Kelly said
    The officers were in Robinson's SUV when they got stuck in traffic around 5 p.m. Friday. A motorist, Marlon Smith, was blocking their lane with his open car door.

One of the officers yelled at Smith to shut the door; he yelled back an insult and a profanity-laced argument erupted.

According to a criminal complaint, the women got out of the car and walked over to Smith's car; he tried to slam the door, but Anglin sprayed him in the face with Mace.

Then Smith got out of the car and tried to grab Anglin; according to the complaint, Robinson started punching him, saying, "Do you know who you are ----ing with? We are the police."

Robinson is accused of smacking Smith with a baton and pistol-whipping him. The victim also had a gun pointed in his face.

Attorneys for the two women had no comment. Robinson had been on the force since 2006, Anglin since 2005.

The victim was taken to a hospital, where he received 25 staples to his scalp to close three cuts. He was also suffering from blurry vision and bruises on his face.

Holy Christ if this is true I wonder how long these two were on any kind of review prior to them being hired. Makes you wonder sometimes.

I am not one to judge but it seems like sometimes in all phases of life some people slip through the cracks. In this case there was excessive use of force by theses officers, in which I feel was mustered up by the power one believes to have by way of having a badge. Thumbs down here............Not cool at all another black eye on the greatest department in the world.

Comment

Why were these two carrying pepper spray and batons off-duty? Very odd...or very buffy. Either way, not normal.

Anyway, whatever DA decided to charge them with gang assault seems to have miscounted, since that charge requires three assailants, IIRC. Regardless, this is a very messed-up incident. It's bad enough that a lot of us feel entitled to drive like maniacs in the first place, but to take road rage to that level...whew.

To me, this isn't even "excessive force being used by the police." They were off-duty, and had zero reason to take police action. We do not handle summonsable offenses when off-duty. These two were just on a power trip, miffed because they had to wait in traffic like normal people do every single day in New York. In absolutely moronic fashion, they somehow believed that because they happen to work for the NYPD, they could brutalize the schmuck who was blocking traffic.

Who knows. Maybe there's more to this story than we're getting from AP. But, sadly, I doubt it. It probably is just what it sounds like.
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

Noone was there, so therefor I dont think us who ARE cops can really quarterback on this.

Does it SOUND bad? Yea!

Is it plausible that the wonderful tax paying citizens of the neighborhood HATE the police and are really probably drug dealing gang bangers? VERY VERY VERY LIKELY.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
          Noone was there, so therefor I dont think us who ARE cops can really quarterback on this.

Does it SOUND bad? Yea!

Is it plausible that the wonderful tax paying citizens of the neighborhood HATE the police and are really probably drug dealing gang bangers? VERY VERY VERY LIKELY.
          There is no justification for this either way. They were OFF DUTY. The truth is that it was a case of road rage gone very bad. We all get angry at some a--hole on the road doing something stupid but we as LEOs are held to a higher standard than civilians. That reason alone should factor in our decisions whether on or OFF duty

Comment

The Gang assault was dropped-They are charged with felony assault w/ weapon.
            They fled the scene, the witness gave the plate number, that is how they were tracked down, they fled and did not notify anyone, so any "taking police action" or "self defense" type of justification goes out the window.

I do not mean to Monday morning quarterback, but if only half the story is true, they are done, and it appears there is no one to blame but themselves.

NYCTNT wrote:
            "Is it plausible that the wonderful tax paying citizens of the neighborhood HATE the police and are really probably drug dealing gang bangers? VERY VERY VERY LIKELY."

That neighborhood does have its problems with drugs and violence, and there is some anti-police sentiments in the area, but those do not seem to come into play for this incident, this seems like road-rage gone too far.
            Last edited by Sled; 08-20-2008, 09:03 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by PAC084 View Post
              There is no justification for this either way. They were OFF DUTY. The truth is that it was a case of road rage gone very bad.
              That may or may not be true, but don't soley rely on news accounts to determine what really happened. I've seen news accounts of events I've had some personal involvement (investigative) contorted.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

True on all counts. We're not going to know what really happened...I think that's one of the big problems with all these incidents, on- and off-duty. They make the news, there's a big fervor, cops get modified/suspended...and then it all vanishes. We never find out what actually happened, or if the officers involved were cleared of departmental charges, or anything. We don't know if our department acted justly in modifying/suspending them, or if it was just a political move. The end result is we get more and more afraid of someone videotaping us and jamming us up because we don't know if the department is going to treat us fairly or not.

Remember the video that came out recently in which the cops are trying to cuff a non-compliant suspect and the one cop used his ASP to strike at the man's legs? It was straight-up Police Academy tactics 101, but they modified the guy anyway because the video made the news. The guy wasn't doing anything wrong. What happened to him? Where's he now? I'd sure like to know. Is he still modified, or what? Did they restore him to full-duty like they probably should have? Do I have to worry about getting modified for using even reasonable force on a suspect? This is why they've got to disseminate information better about incidents like this.
                Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"You've got to be good in this business, but you've got to get a lot of breaks. If you don't realize that, if you really think you're sitting here because of your genius or anything, I don't know, maybe your background is different, but I got my butt kicked a lot at every level, including this one."

- Stan Van Gundy

Comment

One thing I've learned in life is you will never hear the whole story unless you was there or its on video tape. If they are guilty they need to used better discretion or common sense, if there had reason and was innocent lets hope the won't loose their jobs

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                    That may or may not be true, but don't soley rely on news accounts to determine what really happened. I've seen news accounts of events I've had some personal involvement (investigative) contorted.
                    I know how the media can distort the story all too well but in this case they let emotion get the best of them. Plain and simple. NYPD cares about their image first and employees second. Look at all the cases that came out and how it was handled. That should tell you.
                    Last edited by PAC084; 08-20-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

The media in NY has a sever loathing for the NYPD. So every negative thing i read about the NYPD i take with a grain of salt. Not saying that I think that all the officers are 100% innocent i just try to keep it all in perspective.
                      NYPD
                      Exam 5047- Passed
                      Medical- Passed 8/27/08
                      JST- Passed 9/8/08
                      Written Psychological- Done 9/17/08
                      Oral Psychological- Passed 10/2/08
                      Meet with BI- Done 10/16/08
                      Mini-Medical-Done 12/30/08
                      Mini-Medical Part 2- 4/30/09
                      Academy July 2009 (hopefully)

Comment

BackToNyc,

Its called the advocates office and personel orders. It may take a while, but its in there.
                        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                          BackToNyc,

Its called the advocates office and personel orders. It may take a while, but its in there.
                          My OCI showed us a couple of personnel orders and you get to see who did what and what happened. pretty interesting to see how people get jammed up.
                          "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

The biggest factor against them is that they fled the scene and did not report the incident. You can say all you want about the media distorting a story, but it is kind of hard to get around the "fleeing" the scene and still come out smelling like a rose.

Comment

Delete Please

OK, this has been up for a few days,

TIME to delete this "incident".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158345 users online. 131 members and 158214 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X