300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPD D'q

ok so i guess it was about a month ago i received my letter in the mail saying i was disqualified. there was a total of 6 reasons. one being my interview with the psychologist and the others being past driving history. i now know my interview with the psycologist could have went better. i was very nervous and uncomfortable. and the past driving history not much i can do about it now. so my main question to everyone here is would it be worth it for me to complete my appeal and obtain a second psych. on my own time and money? does this usually work out well. i mean i thought i was a good person never done or even seen drugs, one major car accident, never been arrested, drink alcohol every so often and was honest to them with everything since day one.

the thing that bothered me the most was it seemed they were caught up on my driving history. but i told them everything since day one about my past tickets accidents etc so for me to go through all that and then to d'qed for it all just didnt seem to fair since they knew about it. just venting a little.

if anyone has any kind of advice i would really appreciate it. this is the job i would like and was super bummed when i got that letter.

Make the appeal. I did it a few years back and won but a change in circumstances prevented me from taking the job. All you have to do is be straight up with them. The board consists of 5 people who will ask you questions pertaining to your case. As in my case sometimes they will dq you to see how bad you want the job especially if your from NYC area. Fight it!!!!

Comment

With a bad driving history you are a liability to them not nly from the stand point that you could wreck one of the cruisers but hit someone else in the process, either another car or person. And that's without going lights and sirens. It's going to be a huge up hill battle for you and you need to make the decision if it's all going to be worth it in the end. You also need to see why they DQ'd you for the psych, somebody saw something there and if they can back it up with your oral interview and your psych test, your done.

Just some food for thought

Comment

i understand the whole driving liability but it just seems a little unfair. was i not ever supposed to get a ticket. and also the tickets were from about 5-6 years ago from when i first gotten my licence, i have grown up and matured alot since then. just trying to see if enough people feel that with the general info ive given if the appeal will work for me. i know its always worth trying, if i dont i would never know.

Comment

yea , in their eyes you were never supposta get a ticket.....when was your last accident/violation?

Comment

last accident was a year and a half ago.

Comment

how many tickets have you gotten ?

How many accidents have you been in ?

How bad were they ?

Why were you DQ'd on your psych ?

for what reason(s)

It doesn't look good for someone to be DQ'd for psych reasons either, there must be something there that is casting a bad light on you.

Your still a liability bot psychologically and in a motor vehicle. I think you need to be more specific in your answers and not so general if you want an honest answer to your question.

Comment

You got DQ'd for DRINKING!

Cop + Gun + booze = VERY BAD LIABLITY!

It wasnt the driving record buddy.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

so i was supposed to lie and say i dont drink? i thought by being honest i was doing the right thing. i was told from day one by everyone there not to lie just be honest its worse to get caught in a lie. plus the fact that my investigator came down to long island to talk with my mom girlfriend and her father.

tickets- 2 speeding, one seatbelt, one uninsured vehicle, and one suspended registration. the last 2 were cleared up it was a dmv misteak.

accidents- aparently 3. i told them about 2 cause i forgot about one. one totaled my car, one i backed into a car not bad at all(bearly and damage) and the third i forgot about was some lady tapped my back bumper at an intersection not bad at all my mom made me file the report never went through with anything.

psych- said i was unfit for the job. during my interview the psycologist seemed to not believe me that i have never smoked weed. his words "so youve never smoked pot before" me-"no i havent" his- "but how you are from long island" and it went from there. i said i dont know too much aparently but i was very uncomfortable being there, im just uneasy around those kind of people.

so maybe this will help fill in some of the blanks. thanks again everyone and sorry for the vague answers.
                  Last edited by liej631; 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FutaCOP
                    Why would you feel uncomfortable? You KNEW the situation you were getting into. The Psych probably thought you can't handle stress well, which is TRUE from what you are stating. If you can't handle the stress of an interview by a psych (who is probably looking to see if your stressed out), how are you going to handle the job?
                    That's actually a really good point. The individuals that can pass an uncomfortable, invasive, and stressful background investigation are the ones who are ready to work in the field. The process is designed to weed out individuals that are not ready. LE agencies want to be sure that you have your mind, body, and personal life in order before they issue you a gun and badge with their name on it. Don't get discouraged, many people apply to several departments before getting on somewhere. You might be better off applying at larger agencies that are a little more lenient towards recruits. Now you're more educated about the process, so you'll know what to expect the next time around. Stay out of trouble, build up your resume, and let some time pass between your last accident/citation before you apply somewhere else.

Comment

The oral psych interview is tough!!! The doc is there to push your buttons, and the main thing to remember is that you are applying for a career. Most get it twisted, this is not a job it is a career. The doc has this in mind when stirring up all your emotions while asking deep routed questions. One thing you should realize while interviewing is that some things you consider minor are not such in the eyes of the PD. I am currently on a hold myself (NY PD) and I know my fate rests in the hands of the board. I have done all I can do to qualify myself for this job and yet I still wait. I have something I believe to be minor in my file which may be the cause of my hold, but like I said what we think is minor sometimes requires scrutiny from them. Good luck elsewhere I am sure you will get on with some department. Let time pass and improve your driving record and you should be good to go

Comment

as far as the driving record. I have some suggestions (and maybe some MOS can expand on these suggestions)

1. Do not get into anymore accidents (seriously)
                        2. Do not get anymore tickets (seriously. If your job is to enforce the law
                        how can you do that when you show a lack of respect for it? 6 infractions
                        is alot)
                        3. Do not forget about accidents, and provide the BI with all documentation
                        4. Take a driving class
                        5. A few years between the accidents & tickets and your interview could
                        mean the difference between getting the job and not getting it. (yes
                        anywhere from 5-10 years could be enough).

If your not nuts, then the psych can and most likely will be overturned.

Try getting a job with DOC. Its a LE job, and will look much better on your application during the interviews and BI's.
                        I think DOC will be a little less strict with the driving record since your not required to drive with corrections (although some posts you might have to).
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
                          as far as the driving record. I have some suggestions (and maybe some MOS can expand on these suggestions)

1. Do not get into anymore accidents (seriously)
                          2. Do not get anymore tickets (seriously. If your job is to enforce the law
                          how can you do that when you show a lack of respect for it? 6 infractions
                          is alot)
                          3. Do not forget about accidents, and provide the BI with all documentation
                          4. Take a driving class
                          5. A few years between the accidents & tickets and your interview could
                          mean the difference between getting the job and not getting it. (yes
                          anywhere from 5-10 years could be enough).

If your not nuts, then the psych can and most likely will be overturned.

Try getting a job with DOC. Its a LE job, and will look much better on your application during the interviews and BI's.
                          I think DOC will be a little less strict with the driving record since your not required to drive with corrections (although some posts you might have to).
                          Well to correct you Gbotj, The NYS/NYC DOC are real strict on driving records. The written psych has many questions about driving history and during the oral interview with the pyscologist will keep trying to go over and over about any and all dmv accidents/infractions. We are not on patrol everyday like police officers, but If/and when you do drive an agency vehicle you will be transporting an inmate and if you are out there breaking VTL laws and get into an accident and God forbid something happens to that unlucky inmate, that would be a PR nightmare with big liabilities and law suits for the agency. Not only do you have you life in your hands, you have your fellow officers and inmates and civilian motorists on the roads and pedestrians walking to all drive safetly for. So Correction depts in NY take driving records very seriously.
                          Last edited by NYSJAILER2008; 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM.
                          CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
                          FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT

DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

Comment

thanks for the correction NYSJ, didnt know that about DOC.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gbotj View Post
                              thanks for the correction NYSJ, didnt know that about DOC.
                              Anything for a future BTO. I got alot of great friends that work for that agency. But you are right about everything else. Great advise +1
                              CARE, CUSTODY AND CONTROL
                              FIRM, FAIR AND CONSISTENT

DOING 25 TO LIFE, 8 HOURS @ A TIME

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3025 users online. 143 members and 2882 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X