Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Knife laws

Hello brothers........

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to leave my gun at home for my trip to NY tomorrow as I don't want to deal with the hassle of checking it. But what are the laws in NYC in regards to knives? Of course I can't fly with it on my person but once I get to the city can I legally carry it? The blade is about 4-5 inches and it's just a standard Gerber locking blade.

Thanks
    David

This site has knife laws in 50 states. Note: not offical NY.Gov site.http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

I HEARD anything over 3.5 is illegal to carry. I also heard the rule of thumb is any blade longer than the palm of your hand is illegal.
    Last edited by Mrfunkygenius; 08-15-2008, 11:34 AM.
    â—â–ˆï¸»â–ˆâ–ˆâ–ˆâ–„â–„â–„ï¸»ï¸»ï¸»â•â•â•â”»ä¸ € ....BOOM...... BOOM
    ▃▅████████▅▄▃
    ████DRUID███████▅
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤

Exam 6012-5/2007 Passed
    Medical-3/2008 passed
    Psychological- HOLD
    What the hell going to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrfunkygenius View Post
      This site has knife laws in 50 states. Note: not offical NY.Gov site.http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm
      Thanks.

That site link to the NY State Law and NY City law. NY City it says has a restriction that the blade must be less then 4 inches unless your a police officer.

Just measured my blade and it's just less then 3.5 inches.

Thanks
      David

Comment

Under 4" and not a gravity type knife.

Basically, if you can open it with a flick of your wrist(keep trying very hard), its no good.

Where in NYC are you staying that you are so concerned with?
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
          Under 4" and not a gravity type knife.

Basically, if you can open it with a flick of your wrist(keep trying very hard), its no good.

Where in NYC are you staying that you are so concerned with?
          Thanks. It's not that I'm concerned, I just want to be prepared. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Same reason we all carry a pistol on our belts.

But to answer your question we are staying at a condo/suite in Time Square on Broadway but plan on seeing/walking a good portion of the City.

Sunday we're taking the subway to Yankee Stadium and Tuesday we plan on walking all over Manhattan (SOHO, The Village, Downtown, etc).

My first trip to the City and we are only going to be in town 4 days so we have a lot planned.

Thanks
          David

Comment

Are you a cop?
            Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
              Are you a cop?

Yes sir, I am. For a town in between Fort Worth and Dallas.

Comment

Don't bring that knife to Yankee Stadium, you will have to ditch it, unless any NYPD guys out there can correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by david_in_texas View Post
                  Yes sir, I am. For a town in between Fort Worth and Dallas.

Would that town be Arlington? Visited there about 6 years ago.
                  REALLY REALLY REALLY "Patrolling The Toughest Precincts in New York City!" sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kingofqueens718 View Post
                    Would that town be Arlington? Visited there about 6 years ago.
                    Nope. But that is where I grew up. The city is actually Euless. If you know about where DFW Airport is, Euless is just about due west of the airport. It's a town of about 50,000 people and about 85 sworn officers.

Nice Road King BTW. The Harley shop is on my to do list. Gotta get a shirt and patch.

Comment

Welcome to NYC you'll almost immediatly notice the mental disorder of liberalism in most civilians. In NYC you can't even have a water pistol without it being orange, yet in TX as u know civilians can CCW with a permit almost anywhere! Enjoy your visit brother and as always stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by jerry40 View Post
                        Welcome to NYC you'll almost immediatly notice the mental disorder of liberalism in most civilians. In NYC you can't even have a water pistol without it being orange, yet in TX as u know civilians can CCW with a permit almost anywhere! Enjoy your visit brother and as always stay safe!
                        Thanks Jerry, et al.

Looking forward to it.

Hopefully I'll get to speak with some of you all while I'm up there.....

David

Comment

very weird with the knife thing dude......i would never think of bringing a knife with me on vacation....very odd

but then my colleagues go to bars carrying and get plastered that they cant walk... i guess its an ego thing

Comment

I was going to post a thread like this a few days ago myself. I was browsing Walmart and saw they had a few nice knives but wasn't sure if they're legal to carry on you in NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by k85o911 View Post
                              very weird with the knife thing dude......i would never think of bringing a knife with me on vacation....very odd

but then my colleagues go to bars carrying and get plastered that they cant walk... i guess its an ego thing
                              Hmm, I always carry a knife.

What if you have have to cut, or open something?

A man who does not carry a knife? Very odd..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6704 users online. 361 members and 6343 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X