300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nys goverment whats new

will this state ever stop being a dysfunctional blank....
    personally I highly doubt that good thing we have property in SC to build on someday lol. One way they could help upstate cities is by allowing them to annex there neighboring towns of course IN NY this would cause hell fire n brimstone to fall lol but if your wondering How Raleigh get's bigger all the time they just annex maybe not entire towns but they do annex. Cities out west do this also but in NY nope we stay with the tried n true lol.
    And for upstate NY the tried n true has only led to higher taxes and people packing up and leaving.
    I have no confidence in our appointed Governor or the next class who may run for office. Iwould like to see downstate split off only because the needs and wants of upstate/downstate will never gel they have not in 40 plus years.

The big problem in NYS is welfare and medicad, if this state would realize that it's time to stop handing out freebies just because you have a child or two or three or four like they do here and the taxpayers support them through taxes. Until the government wakes up and says "NO MORE FREE RIDES". nothing will change. There are truly some people that need assistance, but the vast majority are raping the system.

I would love to see NYC become a free state away from Upstate, it was that way once and upstate did very well. But NYC ****ed and moaned and wanted NYC and NYS to become one, why, because they wanted the educational monies for their school districts. Now upstaters send a large portion of their taxes down state for education..

Comment

I think if you study the economics, you will find the the metro-NYC area sends more tax revenue to Albany than it gets back. I do agree that there has to be major cutbacks in all social services.....no way should we be providing anything more than basic life support for illegals........and no way should welfare recipients have better health insurance than any working person.

Comment

Originally posted by tactical208 View Post
        The big problem in NYS is welfare and medicad,...

Now upstaters send a large portion of their taxes down state for education..

Speaking of education: That's a large part of the problem, too. NY spends something like $12,000 per student per year, which I think is more than twice the national average. And then all our well-educated children move to Charlotte or Dallas or somewhere else, leaving the rest of us to pay the bill.

Comment

I believe the constitution says that you cannnot carve a new state out of an existing state. I believe, however, that NYC should be disincorporated, so that we would instead have the cities of Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn, and Bronx. Also, for upstate, eliminating most if not all local governments and combining city and county governments would help immensely.

Comment

New York City was s eparate entity many years ago, but they wanted the money from upstate and couldn't get it unless they were one. Now that they are, we are getting mauled by them.

Comment

How long ago was NYC not a part of NYS? The 1800's??? I never heard of that.

Comment

Originally posted by 95mercury View Post
                How long ago was NYC not a part of NYS? The 1800's??? I never heard of that.
                The 5 boroughs were always part of NYS, but they were consolidated into "The Greater New York City" in 1898.

Comment

Actually what I meant and I should have clarified is that NYC wasn't part of NYS tax and monetary system. In otherwords the money from Upstate would not go down state like it does now, there was a totally different fiscal structure many yeras ago. NYC got smart and said they want the same money as the schools in upstate and they got it plus some.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                    I think if you study the economics, you will find the the metro-NYC area sends more tax revenue to Albany than it gets back. I do agree that there has to be major cutbacks in all social services.....no way should we be providing anything more than basic life support for illegals........and no way should welfare recipients have better health insurance than any working person.
                    You don't need to study economics to know that, you just have to live on Long Island or NYC or know someone that lives here;to know that we pay more taxes than most people in NYS and get back way less. Paying 5-9k in property taxes in Suffolk county is unnecessary.

All I know is that we all need to work hard because people on welfare depend on us.
                    Last edited by John2008; 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM.
                    "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I pay $ 7,500 in taxes in upstate, so it's not much different than Suffolk, my friend lives about a mile down the road and he pays $13,000 in taxes alone. Taxes are too high for all new yorkers.

Comment

Ouch....

It will be interesting to see what happens when the state goes bankrupt.....unless they just raise taxes even further. There's not enough courage in Albany to make the NEEDED cuts. The cuts they announced recently are just feel good measures.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5227 users online. 300 members and 4927 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X