300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM is considered a Liberal State???/

Guys, I pop in from time to time from the Left Coast (Ct). I spent several years of my youth in Socorro, NM (early 80s) and remember the area as very Conservative, to the point that I have thought about retiring there some day. Have things changed, political-wise? I've about had enough of it here!!

I'm basically interested in how working Cops perceive the climate.

You'll get as many perspectives on this as you will get responses. Being from back east but having lived here 14+ years I hear a lot of officers complain that New Mexico is very liberal but I don't think they know what that mean until they lived in Massachusetts. Yeah I think sentencing is often very weak but as many times I'm surprised to see judges hammer folks on petty-m's. Social services are in short supply compared to the NE. Ask a more specific question maybe I can be more specific in my response.

Comment

Originally posted by ThikBluLine View Post
      Guys, I pop in from time to time from the Left Coast (Ct).

Did they move CT while I was asleep? I thought it was on the right side???

Comment

I find it "funny" that soo many cops whine about "liberal this,liberal that",when its the LIBERALS that tend to protect that thing that "protects cops" (UNIONS) and its the "liberals that tend to protect that thing all cops work hard for - a "PENSION".Working in a state (California) where the uber liberal FED 9th circuit loves to smack cops around for any stepping "outside the lines",I actually have MORE to FEAR from a NEOCON governor who thinks its cool to cut state funds that put more cops on the streets,and drools at the idea of going after the public employee retirement system,as well as any other civil service retirement fund ,'cause he feels cops are paid TOO much! currently another "SUPERIOR" conservative,locally-Orange Co.Ca Supervisor John Moorlach- is leading the charge in reducing the Orange County Deputy sheriffs retirement from the promised 3%@50 to a "cheaper" 2%@50 plan because he feels that the same deputies that protect him and TAWNY "richy ville" "OC" residents are getting too much for "nothing",even so much as wanting deputies who retired with the plan to have their pensions cut as repayment if the Board of Supervisors approves reducing the retirement; in similar parts of the state-"conservatives" are going after civil servants rights and pocketbooks-call Moorlach @714-834-3220 if you think his conservative views actually care about working cops,or retired ones!

Bottom line- retire where ever you want FOR YOUR PIECE OF MIND, but don't get p'ed off becuase the wide majority of the populace votes for personal freedom over "rule of law"-all police officers can do is protect society when/where it says it wants "protection"-nothing more,nothing less.In truth I'm more concerned about my job and salary than any groups political point of view,but if its a choice of the lesser of TWO EVILS,I'll go for the people who give me frequent pay raises and promise job security- and it ain't "Bush ditto heads"...and the next time you look around and the streets you drive are full of potholes,the local schools are letting a bunch of kids out to roam the neighborhoods unsupervised and early,there are very few working street lamps in your neighborhood,and the cops don't come right away to your telephonic complaints,remember that "your conservative tax cutters" are doing their jobs........
        Last edited by DOAcop38; 08-05-2007, 01:38 AM.
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

10-4, very well said DOAcop38
          Be safe

Comment

having said all of the above-I'll vote for a "Republican" if he/she can FIX a problem a "Democrat" won't( and vice versa)....
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Yeah I know the statement is rich in irony and I don't really get it either other than when I hear people say "liberal" in reference to judges it's meant as a euphemism for "soft". Otherwise I'm all for liberal spending especially when it means my dept. gets a bigger chunk of the pie!!!

Comment

Wow! DOA, that was an earfull!!! I wasn't looking for a fight, just insight.

But... usually it will be someone that considers him/her self Liberal who will get defensive and go on the attack (or calls people names such as "ditto-head") when faced by a view different from his own. I you don't like Ahnuld, or the president, vote against them. It doesn't hurt my feelings.

Perhaps we can all vote for Hillary (who called NYC cops murderers in the Diallo incident, or whose husband pardoned PR terrorists in order to win her some ethnic votes in her Senate campaign).

Also Midcareer, you are right- I must have been looking at the map upside down when I called Ct the left coast

Comment

Originally posted by ThikBluLine View Post
                  Guys, I pop in from time to time from the Left Coast (Ct). I spent several years of my youth in Socorro, NM (early 80s) and remember the area as very Conservative, to the point that I have thought about retiring there some day. Have things changed, political-wise? I've about had enough of it here!!

I'm basically interested in how working Cops perceive the climate.
                  Personally, I believe the term "liberal" has been corrupted over the years. It means different things to different people. Lately it's used to described leftists. When JFK was President it was used to describe him. Were you to compare JFK to one of today's Democrats, he would be considered a right winger by many and they wouldn't vote for him.

Massachusetts has historically been a democratic state, but I wouldn't necessarily call it liberal. At least by today's meaning of liberal. Hell we had Republican governors from 1992 until 2007.

New Mexico has Bill Richardson. He's a Democrat and is liberal on many issues however I wouldn't call him a hard leftist.

It's all relative. Liberal Democrat, moderate Democrat, moderate Republican, conservative Republican. So many labels and so many different meanings. The only thing that is consistent lately is that the Democratic Party has been catering to it's hard left following. This I don't like and is why I have not voted for Democrats since Clinton left office. As for unions, I support the concept and have historically been a union supporter. However many of them drive an agenda that is in no way relevant to the good of the membership. The other issue is that while Democrats are generally more supportive of unions I, personally, would rather vote for who I think is best for the country as a whole. Lately, that has not been Democrats. Although the last Administration has proven that Republicans aren't always the right choice either.
                  Last edited by The Centurion; 08-19-2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4949 users online. 315 members and 4634 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X