300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applicant shortage? why?

I'm looking into relocating. I have been a cop in MO for about 4 years and I am looking to maybe go to NM or that area...like CO or NV or AZ. I keep reading that Santa Fe and APD are really hard up for officers. Why is that? Are they just getting gang banging criminals applying or what? I read that Santa Fe has 40 or so spots they can't fill....that doesn't seem like a lot to me. Are people just not interested in being cops?

I wish that I could help you out but I seem not to have that much if any answerers to why so less applicants apply out of the two cities that you mentioned Santa Fe is really hurting to find well qualified applicants whether lateral or cadet.
    Thank You & Stay Safe.

Comment

the only answer I can give is from what I have been told

Not alot of good qualified applicants and also the low pay.

I have also been told that since the state is very liberal that could be a big reason.

The only way to find out is to apply to a place in New Mexico and talk with some officers in those departments.

good luck in your choice

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. The way things are here, we have 20 plus applicants for every spot and most of them are well qualified. I just didnt want to spend the money to make the trips down there if there are 20 plus local boys/girls who are in line for my spot too. I was just curious why they couldn't find the people. I can give a million reasons why no one wants to be a cop, but I thought maybe they are looking for 10 years experience with a PHD in crime fighting or something....

Comment

Hey guys,

I am down in Alamogordo and going to start applying to agencies soon (About to get out of the AF) and was wondering how is the SFPD? Havent heard either way about it, anyone work there? Opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by Batman21 View Post
            Hey guys,

I am down in Alamogordo and going to start applying to agencies soon (About to get out of the AF) and was wondering how is the SFPD? Havent heard either way about it, anyone work there? Opinions?
            I do not work for SFPD but I live in the city different (santa fe) if you get on you will be busy.
            Thank You & Stay Safe.

Comment

Originally posted by actionjackson View Post
              I'm looking into relocating. I have been a cop in MO for about 4 years and I am looking to maybe go to NM or that area...like CO or NV or AZ. I keep reading that Santa Fe and APD are really hard up for officers. Why is that? Are they just getting gang banging criminals applying or what? I read that Santa Fe has 40 or so spots they can't fill....that doesn't seem like a lot to me. Are people just not interested in being cops?

Well Sir,
              The big departments require all applicants including experienced officers to jump through too many hoops. If you fail one of the many tests given, you are out. I understand an officer should be in decent shape and have a clear background, but some require perfect credit. If they make hiring requirements to strict, alot of experienced officers won't make the cut. Small departments (10-20 officers) require interview board consisting of current officers, Chief interview, MMPI (mental test), medical screening, drug test, and extensive criminal background check. That's it!! You pass all that and your hired. The big departments are apparently too picky. As far as experienced certified officers are concerned, it's hard to beat experienced certified officers with good references. I believe that is why they are so short handed. Good luck to you.

Comment

I can't help but also think that the physical requirements for NMSP and APD probably disqualify many candidates right off the bat. Just from doing my own research, they seem to be some of the toughest entrance qualifications in the nation.

Comment

actionjackson,

There are many reasons why recruiters are faced with challenges here in NM in general and Albuquerque in particular. Like many other areas in the country Albuquerque is hard hit with a diminished applicant pool and PD's in Denver, Phoenix, Dallas-Houston-Austin, and SLC are all targeting the same demographic--many of whom are deployed in the sandbox. With that in mind I know several folks who have left my department and gone to other agencies for issues involving morale and pay. APD is not the most competitive department in terms of pay and benefits by a long shot. BUT and to be honest its a great place to work, is a ton of fun most of the time, and we have one of the best retirement programs in the country. Send me a PM for more direct questions if you want....

Cheers

Comment

once again thanks for all the information and thoughts guys. the more i look into it all im very excited to make a move to NM. i emailed the santa fe recruiting officer but havent heard back yet. I have read some articles about low morale and what not in some of the NM departments. but for me its always been a "what you make of it" type of thing and i always have kept a positive attitude about cop work anyways....as far as pay i never really cared much either. i dont think any of us got into the business for the money but i can see why others are looking for the better paying jobs if they are there.

Tacitus I do have some questions for you if you dont mind. I will send you a PM.

Comment

actionjackson if you have any questions about Santa Fe in general you can ask away I will answers any and all questions. I live in Santa Fe.
                      Thank You & Stay Safe.

Comment

Originally posted by illomatix View Post
                        actionjackson if you have any questions about Santa Fe in general you can ask away I will answers any and all questions. I live in Santa Fe.
                        cool thanks. let me ask you this. are the Santa Fe city cops go getters or are they even allowed to be? Also whats the word on Santa Fe county? Solid group or no?

Comment

Originally posted by actionjackson View Post
                          cool thanks. let me ask you this. are the Santa Fe city cops go getters or are they even allowed to be? Also whats the word on Santa Fe county? Solid group or no?
                          From what I have seen & heard they are allowed to be, as long as you do your job you will not have a problem. The county is a solid group in my view run very professionally as is the city.

Anybody with questions regarding the city of Santa Fe I will be happy to answer them. Questions regarding the law enforcement I will try my best to answer as accurate as possible. I have though lived here my whole life 20+ years.
                          Last edited by illomatix; 07-10-2007, 12:17 PM.
                          Thank You & Stay Safe.

Comment

Found some info regarding the Santa Fe PD here on this website http://www.officer.com/jobs/SantaFe.jsp so check it out if you have not already done so.
                            Thank You & Stay Safe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5350 users online. 341 members and 5009 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X