Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APD Academy vs Lateral Academy

Hey all,

I'm a current LEO in Tennessee and for family reasons I am considering a move back home to Albuquerque, however I have only been sworn here for a few months. I do already know that APD requires you to be sworn for 2 years to consider a lateral transfer, but if the regular academy isnt bad I might just go there ASAP. I am mostly just wondering how "bad" is the APD academy as opposed to just waiting for the extra couple months here and just lateraling over?

I have been through more than 12 months of "boot camp" in my life. Between service in the Marines and the Police Academy I attended here (which was no joke). So to be honest the process is something I wouldn't mind avoiding if I can.

Thanks in advance!!

You should be able to do the certificate by waiver process through them, which I believe is almost the same as a lateral. I came from FL (Jobs are horrible there) and I work at a great Dept. and all I had to do was the 1 week academy.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherFanatic19 View Post
      You should be able to do the certificate by waiver process through them, which I believe is almost the same as a lateral. I came from FL (Jobs are horrible there) and I work at a great Dept. and all I had to do was the 1 week academy.
      Can you explain more about this? I am unaware what this process entails or what the requirements for you were.

Comment

The Cert By waiver is if you already been to an academy and it meets or exceeds the Basic NM academy requirements. So my Academy in FL was 875 total hours over the 6 months and NM requires you to have only 825 total hours. So since my academy exceeded 825 hours by 50 hous, I was good to go to do the Cert by Waiver.

So you have to look at how many hours your Police Academy was. The cert by waiver process is actually pretty easy. An APD recruiter should know about this process. Are you talking Artesia or Albuquerque Police? Either way, both those departments recruiters should know the cert by waiver process.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherFanatic19 View Post
          The Cert By waiver is if you already been to an academy and it meets or exceeds the Basic NM academy requirements. So my Academy in FL was 875 total hours over the 6 months and NM requires you to have only 825 total hours. So since my academy exceeded 825 hours by 50 hous, I was good to go to do the Cert by Waiver.

So you have to look at how many hours your Police Academy was. The cert by waiver process is actually pretty easy. An APD recruiter should know about this process. Are you talking Artesia or Albuquerque Police? Either way, both those departments recruiters should know the cert by waiver process.
          This is beyond fantastic news, my Academy was 880 hours so this option works for me!. I will be speaking with a recruiter on the phone first thing today. No more email for me!

THANK YOU!

Comment

Apd exceeds the state requirements so its a big chance if you want to go with albuquerque pd you'll go through their academy

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3929 users online. 241 members and 3688 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X