300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any NM LE applicants???

I am looking at NM agencies - has anyone applied, gone through the process, hired????
    I hear their LE in general is a mess and they have been hiring bad apples, more than other states.
    SF, ABQ,Taos, TC, Farmington- etc - any info would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Collapse7 View Post
    I am looking at NM agencies - has anyone applied, gone through the process, hired????
    I hear their LE in general is a mess and they have been hiring bad apples, more than other states.
    SF, ABQ,Taos, TC, Farmington- etc - any info would be appreciated.
    Although I haven't applied yet, I'm currently in college in NM and have done a couple of internships as well as talked to many recruiters from around the state. One thing about NM that is different than other states is that most pd's ARE hiring. And most aren't getting enough good applicants to fill their open positions, especially once you get away from the larger cities in the state. I know of many smaller departments in the state not getting more than 5 applicants for 4 positions. Other places like Las Cruces and Albuquerque tend to be able to me much more picky. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bad apples", but I know it varies by department. I have heard some departments are labled by officers as places that will hire you once you've been fired by your current department. Most places have a normal hiring process like anywhere else in the country. However I know of some places where the hiring process consists of a physical test and an interview followed by a conditional offer of employment. It just varied. You named some pretty random town, but Sante Fe and Albuquerque are bigger departments. Farmington I have heard very good things about. Taos I know nothing about. My university is an hour from T or C, which is a town of only 6,000 I believe. The starting salary is $13.00 an hour. Any other questions you have I can try to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by slsteiner88 View Post
      Although I haven't applied yet, I'm currently in college in NM and have done a couple of internships as well as talked to many recruiters from around the state. One thing about NM that is different than other states is that most pd's ARE hiring. And most aren't getting enough good applicants to fill their open positions, especially once you get away from the larger cities in the state. I know of many smaller departments in the state not getting more than 5 applicants for 4 positions. Other places like Las Cruces and Albuquerque tend to be able to me much more picky. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bad apples", but I know it varies by department. I have heard some departments are labled by officers as places that will hire you once you've been fired by your current department. Most places have a normal hiring process like anywhere else in the country. However I know of some places where the hiring process consists of a physical test and an interview followed by a conditional offer of employment. It just varied. You named some pretty random town, but Sante Fe and Albuquerque are bigger departments. Farmington I have heard very good things about. Taos I know nothing about. My university is an hour from T or C, which is a town of only 6,000 I believe. The starting salary is $13.00 an hour. Any other questions you have I can try to answer.
      Thanks for the information. I am testing with ABQ and BC County in December. I am coming from the east coast, love NM.
      Can you recommend any agencies to apply for? Other than ABQ and SF, I really don't know where else to look. I have no experience, so anything to get my foot in my door.

Comment

Originally posted by Collapse7 View Post
        Thanks for the information. I am testing with ABQ and BC County in December. I am coming from the east coast, love NM.
        Can you recommend any agencies to apply for? Other than ABQ and SF, I really don't know where else to look. I have no experience, so anything to get my foot in my door.
        Well, up north I know Farmington is hiring, as well as Bloomfield. In the south New Mexico State University Police was hiring, as well as El Paso Police Department in far west Texas (basically in NM) is looking to hire 45 or more. In the SE part of the state ALOT of departments are hiring. Hobbs PD, Roswell PD, Carlsbad PD are all hiring. Also New Mexico State Police is hiring, although you are cutting it close for their next academy. Here's a link that lists alot of departments that are hiring as well. http://www.dps.state.nm.us/training/...?list=Show+All. When are you testing for ABQ? Any idea what academy you are testing for? I know they are starting one next month. Let me know how everything goes!

Comment

Hey thanks for the list. I am testing with abq in Dec.

Comment

Slsteiner88,

I was looking at some of the agencies in NM. I see that most pay well below what agencies here in Cali pay, but the cost of living is obviously much lower over there than it is here. I was specifically looking at The Farmington PD. Do you have any info on them that you can share? Any info at all would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by kiddorbitz01 View Post
              Slsteiner88,

I was looking at some of the agencies in NM. I see that most pay well below what agencies here in Cali pay, but the cost of living is obviously much lower over there than it is here. I was specifically looking at The Farmington PD. Do you have any info on them that you can share? Any info at all would be appreciated.
              Hey kiddorbitz01. One of the officers at my university's police department where I have an internship came from Farmington PD. He told me that if it wasn't for him moving because of a girl, he would have made a career out of it. He said they stayed busy because it was where all of the neighboring towns went to party and drink. Also, he said the indian reservation that is nearby is completely dry, so people from there go to Farmington if they want to drink. I know from their website there are alot of specialty units there also. The pay doesn't seem to bad and when i talked to their recruiter a few months ago he told me they were hiring. I guess that's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps.

Comment

Im originally from WA where the economy is the same as in CA

Comment

Hey kiddorbitz01. One of the officers at my university's police department where I have an internship came from Farmington PD. He told me that if it wasn't for him moving because of a girl, he would have made a career out of it. He said they stayed busy because it was where all of the neighboring towns went to party and drink. Also, he said the indian reservation that is nearby is completely dry, so people from there go to Farmington if they want to drink. I know from their website there are alot of specialty units there also. The pay doesn't seem to bad and when i talked to their recruiter a few months ago he told me they were hiring. I guess that's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps.
                  Hey sls, thanks for the reply. I'm glad that there's at least one state close to California where agencies are actually hiring, and even offering signing bonuses! I was also looking at Roswell but for some reason I really like what I've seen and read about FPD so far. It looks like a PD I'd really want to work for. Again, I appreciate the reply. I read above that you know agencies that can't get any applicants. PM me with some of those agencies if you can, so I can check those out..

Comment

I will hopefully be applying in Roswell in Feb or Mar so if you do test maybe I'll see you. I listed a website in an earlier post on this thread that has many of the departments in NM that are hiring listed. But Hobbs, Roswell, Carlsbad, Farmington, Truth or Consequences, and many other departments are in need of good applicants. Las Cruces will be testing soon but I know they usually get a lot of applicant. Let me know where and when you end up applying. Also if I were you I would keep an eye on El Paso PD too I know they are hiring.

Comment

I will hopefully be applying in Roswell in Feb or Mar so if you do test maybe I'll see you. I listed a website in an earlier post on this thread that has many of the departments in NM that are hiring listed. But Hobbs, Roswell, Carlsbad, Farmington, Truth or Consequences, and many other departments are in need of good applicants. Las Cruces will be testing soon but I know they usually get a lot of applicant. Let me know where and when you end up applying. Also if I were you I would keep an eye on El Paso PD too I know they are hiring.
                      Right on bro.. I see you sent me a PM..

Comment

Roswell Police is HIRING !!!

Roswell Police have openings right now. Laterals and Recruits
                        Some benefits include

All paid training
                        All Uniforms and Equipment
                        All Weapons Supplied
                        Uniform Allowance
                        Health and Dental only $100 for a family plan
                        25 year retirement for out of state laterals and recruits

Plenty of OT and training opportunities

AND take home squad for all Officers currently Crown Vic or Chargers

Facebook us at Roswell Police Department

Email me any questions

[email protected]
                        575-624-6770 x 182

Comment

Originally posted by roswellcop View Post
                          Some benefits include

All paid training
                          All Weapons Supplied
                          Uniform Allowance

Email me any questions

[email protected]
                          575-624-6770 x 182
                          Sgt. Sharpe,
                          Nice to see you posting on here again. I greatly appreciate you answering all those questions for me when I called and am counting down the days until I start the process in April. Hopefully Roswell Keeps hiring! Take care.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by roswellcop View Post
                            Some benefits include

All paid training
                            All Weapons Supplied
                            Uniform Allowance

Email me any questions

[email protected]
                            575-624-6770 x 182
                            Thank you for the info, sir!!

Comment

I think the reason the smaller departments are having issues finding hires is the pay scale. APD starts you around $18/hr then kicks you up to $52K/year after you finish probation. None of the smaller agencies are near that.

A classmate and good friend of mine from over here moved back to NM recently and got hired on with a smaller PD outside of ABQ. He's already been promoted and is working a nice day shift spot.
                              “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5712 users online. 358 members and 5354 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X