300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albuquerque Pd

Needing info on the PD. A guy I work with worked for the Federal FD on Kirkland AFB for 6 years and rode w/ some of you down there. He said he loved it and has been talking it up to me. I'm almost married and the fiance and I are considering moving. I've been in KC my whole life and she's growing tired of it. I need some info beside what's on their website. Is it a good dept. to work for? Pros/Cons? How short is the dept. on patrol officers? (saw an old article stating it was around 300 short). Anyway, we're thinking about taking the guy I work with on a vacation so he can show us around a little. We'll also be setting up a ride-along. Any suggestions on where to go for that? Wherever most of the rookies break in at preferably. He said the division on Louisiana was hoppin when he was down there. Won't make this too long, thanks for the info.

I think it's a great department and I base this on having been here over six years and been exposed to about a dozen others as I travel around the country. To be sure there are issues (where are there not?) but there are plenty of specialized units to move around to if one gets tired of being in the field. We're on 5-8's which suck but there's talk of moving back to 4-10's over the next few years...we'll see.

Lots of crime in Albuquerque so you'll be busy. Not so great city leadership and typical issues with command staff but in general it could be a lot lot worse. There are six area commands and generally nine field squads per area command. We bid for field assignments each spring...

I know this is broad but send me a PM or post specific questions and I'll try to be more specific in my answers!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I shot ya a PM.

Comment

I found out that APD is starting an academy in April - but I won't be finished with school until then and plus I am a long drive away.

Do you know if APD plans to run another academy this year? I would definitely be interested, but school prevented me from applying to the 103rd class.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TRD View Post
          I found out that APD is starting an academy in April - but I won't be finished with school until then and plus I am a long drive away.

Do you know if APD plans to run another academy this year? I would definitely be interested, but school prevented me from applying to the 103rd class.

Thanks.
          I had that same problem trying to get into the 102nd class. Its strange how they start the academy just days before the current college semester ends so somebody who is just graduating cannot make it. Lucky for me they are having the 103rd class *got my acceptance letter from the chief a couple weeks ago*. Unlike the 102nd class they are no longer hiring every qualified applicant to reach the chiefs goal. They told us they were looking to hire around 30-40 people for the 103rd class because the department reached its goal of 1100 sworn officers, but they weren't quite sure on the official number they were going to hire. Of course a little competition never hurt anyone. I hope that answered a little bit of both questions.
          Academy Start Date: 04/27/2009 - Injured 05/04/2009
          New Academy Start Date: 10/12/2009
          I wont give up till I go 10-7.

Comment

My wife and I will be coming down the end of July sometime to do ride-alongs and check the city out. Can't wait to get out of KC!

Comment

Any word on the next Academy after April?

"If there is no vision, there is no hope"

George Washington Carver 1864-1942

Comment

farmington?

I left the Detroit pd. and applied to Farmington, seems like a nice little town. I still love being the big city cop, but ready for a slower pace. Anyone on here can tell me about Farmington, other than what I've checked on the internet. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-detroitpd View Post
                  I left the Detroit pd. and applied to Farmington, seems like a nice little town. I still love being the big city cop, but ready for a slower pace. Anyone on here can tell me about Farmington, other than what I've checked on the internet. Thanks.
                  My partner worked for Farmington for 6 yrs until 2006. I will get as much info as I can and PM you as soon as I found out.

Comment

Well since this in the only active thread I will ask here

Any info on Sante Fe, Sante Fe CO or any other agencies in the state that are hiring would be great. Im a PO in IL looking to possibly make a move. thanks

Comment

http://www.santafenm.gov/jobs.asp?jobID=427 According to the job posting SFPD is still hiring.
                      Academy Start Date: 04/27/2009 - Injured 05/04/2009
                      New Academy Start Date: 10/12/2009
                      I wont give up till I go 10-7.

Comment

yea saw that, just looking for actual info on the depts, thanks tho

Comment

Looks like we're all looking to get out of the midwest for some reason? The wife and I will be coming to Albuquerque around July 24th for a ride-along and scout out the city. Already have the days off........

Comment

I just submitted my interest card for Albuquerque police. I live in MI right now and would love to get out! I am currently a non-sworn cadet for East Lansing Police GO MSU! I signed up to take the physical and written tests for July 18-19. Their website says the next academy starts October 12, 2009.

Comment

Someone tell me how Albuquerque has not had one homicide this year?! Are these stats bunk?

http://cogpub.cabq.gov/cognos8/cgi-b...Analysis%27%5d

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5921 users online. 354 members and 5567 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X