300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a solid 1.5 mile run

Can someone tell me what a solid performance would be on the 1.5 mile run. Is running in the mid 13's decent to pass? or even if you run a 14:01? Also, how long is the actually pqt test and how many people are in that class?

(Sorry, I had to edit this because I thought I was in another state's forum.) I like to use the U.S. Marshal's standards for motivational purposes. Here they are:

Superior <8:14
    Excellent 8:14-10:16
    Good 10:17-11:41
    Fair 11:42-12:51
    Minimum 12:18
    Poor 12:52-14:13
    Very Poor >14:13
    Last edited by Johnnyblade; 08-23-2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Oh ok. Thanks man. No where near the 8's. But I can come in around 13-14. On a good day. But in a sprint I'll be able to hold my own. Long distance running has never been my specialty.

Comment

screw that marshalls post. that isnt reasonable. If you are below 14:15-30 or so you will be fine. 13's would be ideal but nothin to worry about when it comes to LEO.

Comment

Like I said, MOTIVATIONAL! I wasn't saying you should be shooting for under 8:14. I could never do that. I'm at about 11:20. My goal is to get it under 10:17. Here in Illinois you have to do it under 13:46. I wouldn't want to be consistently 13-something. What if you just happen to feel like crap on a test day and you end up coming in 14 or 15-something. Besides, For NJ State Police, which I hope to apply to next time it opens up, I would want to rack up as many points as possible in each category.
          Last edited by Johnnyblade; 08-23-2007, 11:47 AM.

Comment

A solid 1.5 mile time is 12:30

A worry free 1.5 mile time is anything below 10:30

Comment

well here in NY those times of 13's-14's won't cut it, for all the departments I'm testing for you must be able to run the 1.5 in less than 12:00 it also depends on your age, the older you are the more time they give you. for example I'm 20 so for New York State Police I must run the 1.5 in under 12:18, so far I have it down to 9:46 I want to be able to run it in 9:20-9:30 and I'm 5''11 & 206lbs.
              Last edited by John2008; 08-23-2007, 11:55 AM.
              "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

The 13:46 requirement in IL is a joke. I think I can walk it in that. And to think that the running was my biggest concern. I can do it in 9:30 if I keep up with the training. But since it's pass/fail, I don't see any advantage in doing it in 9:30 as opposed to 13:46.

They should reward those who train instead of just lumping everyone together who passes. Those who went out there to train to achieve a lower time, with all else being equal, should get priority, IMHO.

Comment

It seems like all yall are good at the run. Thanks for the info yall. At any point during the run can you stop and walk? For instance say someone doesn't pace themself right and goes too fast in the begining but tires out at the end and walks some of the way. But he/she finishes at 12:55 or so. Will that have any effect on the final decision.

Comment

Originally posted by rx8racr View Post
                    screw that marshalls post. that isnt reasonable. If you are below 14:15-30 or so you will be fine. 13's would be ideal but nothin to worry about when it comes to LEO.
                    Originally posted by Darkside View Post
                    A solid 1.5 mile time is 12:30

A worry free 1.5 mile time is anything below 10:30

In my academy of 149 people graduating no one, not even the 15 females, ran as slow as 12:30 for the 1.5 mile. I ran a 9:30 and was right in the middle o the pack. I was 33 at the time too...

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                    well here in NY those times of 13's-14's won't cut it, for all the departments I'm testing for you must be able to run the 1.5 in less than 12:00 it also depends on your age, the older you are the more time they give you. for example I'm 20 so for New York State Police I must run the 1.5 in under 12:18, so far I have it down to 9:46 I want to be able to run it in 9:20-9:30 and I'm 5''11 & 206lbs.
                    Good run times but to give you a better gauge of your fitness level. For a DT instructor the min run time is 9:45, 49 sit ups, 51 pushups (way too easy), and bench 1.37 of your weight, which would be 285 for you!

Originally posted by knightrider26 View Post
                    It seems like all yall are good at the run. Thanks for the info yall. At any point during the run can you stop and walk? For instance say someone doesn't pace themself right and goes too fast in the begining but tires out at the end and walks some of the way. But he/she finishes at 12:55 or so. Will that have any effect on the final decision.
                    As long as you finish in the required time you should be fine.

Comment

ok. Thanks Patriot. I guess weighing at 285 pounds running a 13 min. 1.5 mile isn't bad. I wonder what my bench will have to be.

Comment

Originally posted by knightrider26 View Post
                        ok. Thanks Patriot. I guess weighing at 285 pounds running a 13 min. 1.5 mile isn't bad. I wonder what my bench will have to be.
                        390 pounds No, 13 mins is good for that weight! You would probaby need to slim down for the academy but most of us like to have a big guy standing with us when we are dealing with undesireables...

Comment

Yea, I agree I will have to try and slim down. The problem is that I'm not a fat body..lol.. I'm actually pretty fit, it's just that running has never been a specialty. Get me in a sprint and i'm good. 390 Bench is no problem.

Comment

The pace they USED to keep in the academies was a solid 8-minute mile..quick enough for the areobic benefit, slow enough that the majority of people were able to keep up. Generally anything under 12 and you'll be fine.

Comment

That's pushing it man? lol.. I'll try my best to get under that. What about all of the other things. Do they look upon doing may 100 pushups as being great?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9584 users online. 455 members and 9129 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X