300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Defense in NJ

What things for self-defense are legal in NJ for people to buy for their personal safety?

I'm talking things like pepper spray, taser, etc.

If i remember right, pepper spray used to be illegal to carry in NJ. I know they do sell it at flea markets, but that doesnt mean its legal lol.

Just wondering. thanks

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
    What things for self-defense are legal in NJ for people to buy for their personal safety?

I'm talking things like pepper spray, taser, etc.

If i remember right, pepper spray used to be illegal to carry in NJ. I know they do sell it at flea markets, but that doesnt mean its legal lol.

Just wondering. thanks
    Are you thinking of something to carry on your person?

OC spray is legal but only in limited smaller sizes.

Tazers are not.

Firearms are legal to have in the home but it's nearly impossible to a get a carry permit.

Are you having a problem with someone or just asking in general?

Comment

OC spray has always been legal, as has CsCN spray and Mace, it all comes down to the AMOUNY..IIRC under 3/4 of an ounce is legal for anyone to possess, it's the bigger cans that are controlled. Any of the "Keychain'sized cans are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jerseyshorecop View Post
        Are you thinking of something to carry on your person?

OC spray is legal but only in limited smaller sizes.

Tazers are not.

Firearms are legal to have in the home but it's nearly impossible to a get a carry permit.

Are you having a problem with someone or just asking in general?
        Well, i have been wondering about the pepper spray for a while, because i had a catalog one time that had all kinds, but it said they would not ship to Jersey.

Also, someone has done some "goofy" things...nothing serious yet. I'd just rather be safe. I have thought about having a firearm in my home...i do have a large dog. And i have shot before at a range, but it was years ago.

Thanks for the info. Thanks also KPD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400 View Post
          Well, i have been wondering about the pepper spray for a while, because i had a catalog one time that had all kinds, but it said they would not ship to Jersey.

Also, someone has done some "goofy" things...nothing serious yet. I'd just rather be safe. I have thought about having a firearm in my home...i do have a large dog. And i have shot before at a range, but it was years ago.

Thanks for the info. Thanks also KPD.
          Check your phonebook for the local Police Supply, or Gunshop. they'll have the legal-to carry size OC sprays.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Not wanting to pry....and without knowing the exact circumstances...but if necessary don't discount a TRO / RO from your friendly local Police agency.

Comment

Its interesting to see how different states are when it comes to self defense and weapons.

In Florida a person is permitted to have a loaded firearm in their car without a CC permit so long as the fire arm is "encased" Encased is defined as being in a glove box or center console. It is legal as long as the gun is in something that has to be opened in order to gain access. Pretty scary huh?

Also in FL fire arms are not registered. I just had a case yesterday where a guy (local druggie/drug dealer) shot another man with an AK47. We recovered the weapon; however, his only charge is aggravated battery. The gun was LEGAL!

OC is legal to carry as long as it is not carried in such a way as to conceal it from sight.

Comment

Originally posted by jerseyshorecop View Post
                  Not wanting to pry....and without knowing the exact circumstances...but if necessary don't discount a TRO / RO from your friendly local Police agency.
                  Yeah, i'm trying to figure it out. The person is at my job, and i'm off work right now for another few weeks. All quiet so far. Thanks

Comment

It is legal as long as the gun is in something that has to be opened in order to gain access. Pretty scary huh?
                    No.
                    Refuse to be a victim-Support Concealed Carry

Comment

Originally posted by SGeringer View Post
                      No.

SGeringer,

With all due respect I am a conservative as well. But be on the job a while and see if you have the exact same opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by deputyryan View Post
                        SGeringer,

With all due respect I am a conservative as well. But be on the job a while and see if you have the exact same opinion.
                        In California AKs are illegal and guns are registered there, yet officers run the risk of running into them. It sucks, and you have my utmost respect for the job you do. But you posed the question, even if it was rhetorical. Registration isn't going to discourage these dirtbags, nor is being a felon in possession. In WA, you cannot have a loaded rifle in a car, and yet some dirtbag still hosed down a PCSD officer's house about a month ago with some sort of rifle.

And I can't predict what my opinion is after years on the job, so I can only express my current opinion.

Comment

In California AKs are illegal and guns are registered there, yet officers run the risk of running into them. It sucks, and you have my utmost respect for the job you do. But you posed the question, even if it was rhetorical. Registration isn't going to discourage these dirtbags, nor is being a felon in possession. In WA, you cannot have a loaded rifle in a car, and yet some dirtbag still hosed down a PCSD officer's house about a month ago with some sort of rifle.

And I can't predict what my opinion is after years on the job, so I can only express my current opinion.
                          First my comment was not here to start a gun rights issue. You have hijacked the thread. Secondly you are assuming that I am claiming gun registration will stop criminals from having guns. You also assume I think AKs should be outlawed. I did not say that and I dont believe either to be true. However, I do believe and know first hand that gun registration would be a very useful tool to law enforcement in Florida. Cars are all registered and I believe firearms should be as well. Not to restrict people from owning firearms but to assist with criminal investigations. I don’t think people should be restricted from buying a car or a firearm. But I would support the registration of both.

Its amazing how this suspect, who used a gun which I am almost certain is stolen can only be charged with aggravated battery. Because there is no registration we cant tell where it came from. The purpose of making it against the law for a convicted felon isnt JUST to keep a gun out of the hands of a felon. Its also to take them (felons) off the street longer WHEN they are found with a gun.

Dont take me the wrong way. I am not suggesting we eliminate firearms, or that we should make it difficult for the common person to own a firearm. I believe there should be common sense law surrounding firearms. Particularly when it comes to registration. Ill say it again. If a car needs to be registered than a firearm should be as well.
                          Last edited by deputyryan; 06-11-2007, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I don't want to make this unpleasant as we are debating respectfully, but you brought it up in this thread, so I did not hijack the thread but instead responded to you. Which is fine.

As for registration, there is no reason why we can't agree to disagree. If it was stolen, certainly it should have been reported. I think it's a much better law to require people to report a weapon's theft than it is to have a system of registration, which I'll get to in a second. If he's a felon in possession, it's nice to have that addl. charge but he's still at the end of the day felon in poss. If he files the serial number, it might be hard for the registration but obliterating the s/n is yet another charge anyway.

The problem with registration is that historically it has not been in the least bit successful. Canada is a perfect example, and think about how many MORE guns the US has. Their system is cumbersome, expensive, and even Canadian LEOs admit that is does not deliver as promised. Our system would have to beefier to handle the much higher rate of sales and number of guns. Based on the success of states and countries with registration, it does not look promising. California still suffers from illegal guns and prolific numbers of guns not authorized to be in the state or in the possession of those they're found with. Lastly, you have that very real threat of registration being used at some future date for confiscation.

That is my take.......how I feel plus how I interpret empirical data. To your credit, you have more street experience. But we can still agree to disagree.

Comment

I don't want to make this unpleasant as we are debating respectfully, but you brought it up in this thread, so I did not hijack the thread but instead responded to you. Which is fine.

As for registration, there is no reason why we can't agree to disagree. If it was stolen, certainly it should have been reported. I think it's a much better law to require people to report a weapon's theft than it is to have a system of registration, which I'll get to in a second. If he's a felon in possession, it's nice to have that addl. charge but he's still at the end of the day felon in poss. If he files the serial number, it might be hard for the registration but obliterating the s/n is yet another charge anyway.

The problem with registration is that historically it has not been in the least bit successful. Canada is a perfect example, and think about how many MORE guns the US has. Their system is cumbersome, expensive, and even Canadian LEOs admit that is does not deliver as promised. Our system would have to beefier to handle the much higher rate of sales and number of guns. Based on the success of states and countries with registration, it does not look promising. California still suffers from illegal guns and prolific numbers of guns not authorized to be in the state or in the possession of those they're found with. Lastly, you have that very real threat of registration being used at some future date for confiscation.

That is my take.......how I feel plus how I interpret empirical data. To your credit, you have more street experience. But we can still agree to disagree.

All I can do is tell you (again) that I do not have this belief that registration will keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. The same goes for suspending a habitual traffic offender's license. Just because it is suspended doesn’t mean the person isn’t going to drive. Does that mean the state should no longer suspend anyone's driver's license? I certainly don’t think so.

Ill respond in steps here.

1: You don’t need a S/N to determine that a gun is a gun. If a felon is in possession against statute there is the crime. Like I said, the purpose of these laws isn’t simply to deter. It is to further punish a criminal when they are found with a gun after conviction.

2: I do NOT NOT NOT think that registration will keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Same as suspending someone’s driver's license wont keep them off the road. However, I do think having a registration (IE: Simply being able to tell who the owner of a firearm is and the chain of custody) IS an invaluable tool for law enforcement. I also dont think every weapon will be registered. But it will still help.

3: I do not suggest we have anything like Canada's gun law. I am not supportive of eliminating firearms or preventing the every day common citizen from owning a firearm. But like I said if I can run a license plate and see who it belongs to, than I should be able to do the same with a firearm. If a person is driving an unregistered vehicle they go to jail. The same should be for an unregistered firearm. If you disagree, and I cant think of a logical reason to disagree, then that is your opinion. But just understand I am not anti gun. I am not against people owning guns. I own many. But from a law enforcement point of view, being able to run a SN on a firearm for investigative purposes is invaluable.

4: On a last note I dont think it makes sense for the state to say "its against the law for someone to conceil a weapon on their person" but then say it is okay to do it in their car. I know you will say "well what is next? No conceiled weapons in your house?" let me just say its common knowledge gang bangers and criminals will carry their "peices" in the glove box so that when they are stopped by law enforcement we cant do anything about it. In a state like New Jersey a trooper or local officer stops a vehicle, ends up doing a search and finds an unregistered firearm in the glove box. Its obvious that the trooper/officer is going to be making some arrests. Instinctivly because the firearm is unregistered and in the hands of dirt bags. In Florida I wouldnt be able to do anything in that very common scenario and the gang problem gets worse and worse.

In FL gang bangers are essentially allowed to have guns (which they use to commit crimes) even when they are caught with guns. Having a required registration will allow law enforcement to make arrests when gang bangers are found with unregistered weapons.
                              Last edited by deputyryan; 06-12-2007, 01:09 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6352 users online. 351 members and 6001 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X