300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJSP & tickets

I would never bash fellow officers to the public, but seeing this is a PD board I've got to vent. My adult kid who is super pro LE got a ticket by NJSP for using his cell as a GPS and for 5 over (and he was actually only going 5 over according to the troop who stopped him who said he was pacing him). The fact that I'm LE came up during conversation, (my son didnt name drop, and actually it was mentioned during conversation initiated by the officer). I'm more than just a bit frustrated. I'm an old school guy who would never dream of writing cops/ their kids etc and furthermore I wouldnt double up tickets like this on any citizen, and especially one who is as respectful as I know my son always is. Coworkers at my place say NJ is known to write cops, cops wives etc- please say there is some common sense and professional courtesy with this agency.

Then don’t drive in NJ. WTF? Is everyone not citable because they know a cop, slept with a cop, like cops, buy coffee and donuts?

Your son violated a law. Man up and deal with it. So what if you being a cop didn’t get him off the hook.

Youre PROPER response should have been: THAT Officer did his job with INTEGRITY. I respect him for that and so should you.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Integrity for writing a 5 over ticket ? guess your one of those type of guys. Old school guys would never do this, this is a new breed with no common sense

Comment

Again. Your SON told you HIS side. So, you say you are a cop, yet you immediately scream about an Officer DOING HIS JOB? What about HIS side? What about your SON TAKING RESPONSIBILITY for his actions?

Oh. Guess that doesn’t count?

Im a 30+ year Old School. Don’t try to tell me how the job works. Tell your kid to grow a pair. It’s his problem, not yours. But go ahead, be that guy, file a complaint with the State DOJ against the Offer, you know, for issuing a ticket, violating his rights, not respecting yours, treating people different due to class...

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I never said anything about filing a complaint, we dont do that to each other but there is such a thing as professional courtesy and common sense. As for my sons side he has no reason to lie to me, hes a grown man and he pays his own way. If your a 30 year guy my guess is you didnt spend much of that in the streets or you would have a different view about cops taking care of each other and their families.

Comment

Originally posted by lpranger467 View Post
            I would never bash fellow officers to the public, but seeing this is a PD board I've got to vent. My adult kid who is super pro LE got a ticket by NJSP for using his cell as a GPS and for 5 over (and he was actually only going 5 over according to the troop who stopped him who said he was pacing him). The fact that I'm LE came up during conversation, (my son didnt name drop, and actually it was mentioned during conversation initiated by the officer). I'm more than just a bit frustrated. I'm an old school guy who would never dream of writing cops/ their kids etc and furthermore I wouldnt double up tickets like this on any citizen, and especially one who is as respectful as I know my son always is. Coworkers at my place say NJ is known to write cops, cops wives etc- please say there is some common sense and professional courtesy with this agency.
            Disclaimer: I'm not a NJ State Trooper, but I regularly work and train with them.

1) You can't judge the entire agency by the actions of one trooper.
            2) You can't judge the trooper based on a single interaction that was relayed to you.
            3) NJ is cracking down on cellphone use while driving (doesn't matter if it's for GPS or texting or posting on Facebook). The trooper may not have had any discretion in the matter (regardless of who the driver is or claims to be).
            4) I have NEVER heard of a Trooper (or any NJ cop) citing anyone for 5 over when the driver actually only went 5 over. Citing for 5 over when they were actually going 20 over? Sure. But never for 5 over, especially not based on pacing. Our local prosecutor would laugh and toss the charge. If it did go to court, the judge would laugh and dismiss the charge.
            5) You may not be getting the full story from your kid. If he got cited for 5 over he may not have been "as respectful as you know him to be". It would typically take a WHOLE lot of ******baggery to talk oneself into that kind of ticket. Arguing about how he was only using the phone for GPS and pointing out that his dad is a cop might do the trick. We don't know what REALLY happened. Neither do you.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Disclaimer: I'm not a NJ State Trooper, but I regularly work and train with them.

1) You can't judge the entire agency by the actions of one trooper.
              2) You can't judge the trooper based on a single interaction that was relayed to you.
              3) NJ is cracking down on cellphone use while driving (doesn't matter if it's for GPS or texting or posting on Facebook). The trooper may not have had any discretion in the matter (regardless of who the driver is or claims to be).
              4) I have NEVER heard of a Trooper (or any NJ cop) citing anyone for 5 over when the driver actually only went 5 over. Citing for 5 over when they were actually going 20 over? Sure. But never for 5 over, especially not based on pacing. Our local prosecutor would laugh and toss the charge. If it did go to court, the judge would laugh and dismiss the charge.
              5) You may not be getting the full story from your kid. If he got cited for 5 over he may not have been "as respectful as you know him to be". It would typically take a WHOLE lot of ******baggery to talk oneself into that kind of ticket. Arguing about how he was only using the phone for GPS and pointing out that his dad is a cop might do the trick. We don't know what REALLY happened. Neither do you.
              All very fair points, I know my son has been "groomed" since he could drive not to name drop and he only mentioned me being on the job when the troop said something about nobody in his family ever telling him (about using cell even for GPS). Again I would never publicly air our dirt laundry but this is a cops page and for the last 26 or so years I've done my best to take care of fellow officers and their families no different than doctors and such give professional courtesy to each other.

I get frustrated when I hear stories over in in Philly of troops seemingly not giving a crap and I'm sorry yes I'm a total believer in taking care of our own, my son would be the first to stop and help any of you fighting with a suspect unlike most millennial's who would just take out their phone and video tape so right or wrong I could understand one ticket but 2 ?..Rant over, stay safe everyone

Comment

I know my son has been "groomed" since he could drive not to name drop
                Let me ask you this: WHY did you teach your child not to "name drop"? I assume so that he wouldn't use your status as a cop to dodge responsibility for his actions, no? And aren't you sending mixed messages when you then get upset about a cop holding your son responsible? You can't really have it both ways. When my daughter started driving I told her she'd lose her keys if she ever used the "my dad is a cop line" to get out of trouble. If she does end up with a ticket I can guarantee you I wouldn't turn around and blame the cop who cited her.

for the last 26 or so years I've done my best to take care of fellow officers and their families no different than doctors and such give professional courtesy to each other.

I get frustrated when I hear stories over in in Philly of troops seemingly not giving a crap and I'm sorry yes I'm a total believer in taking care of our own
                I absolutely believe in taking care of fellow cops and their families. BUT "taking care of" them comes in many different forms. Letting them off scot-free isn't necessarily one of them. Fellow cops have helped me and my family through some very rough times...and I've in turn helped out many of our officers in crisis. THAT is what the brotherhood/sisterhood means to me. To me, it does NOT mean looking the other way when cops or their family members break the law. That behavior and attitude breeds the public perception that "cops think they're above the law".

right or wrong I could understand one ticket but 2 ?
                I completely agree that the two tickets are surprising. I have no idea what happened (and there may have been special circumstances)...but I can assure you that this isn't typical for New Jersey in general or NJSP in particular.

On a final note, I give ANY decent-acting person a break on minor traffic offenses. It doesn't matter if they are a LEO, related to a LEO or carry a courtesy card. If they own up to their mistake without giving me some bull**** excuse I'll cut them a break (warn or cite for a lesser offense).

Comment

I've told all of my kids not to name drop because its presumptuous of them to assume this will get them out of a ticket and not respectful, this being said if the topic comes up in conversation (as it did in this case) there is no reason for them not to drop that I'm a cop. And I would never ask a fellow P.O. to not do their job to the point it would put their careers in jeopardy (ie-DUI), but tickets are totally discretionary so my overall point here is if we have discretion than we should on occasion use it along with common sense. If it was just me I'd say nothing but numerous guys at my shop are telling war stories of them personally getting ticketed in NJ, we cant talk about being a big family and do this kinda crap

Comment

I've told all of my kids not to name drop because its presumptuous of them to assume this will get them out of a ticket and not respectful, this being said if the topic comes up in conversation (as it did in this case) there is no reason for them not to drop that I'm a cop. And I would never ask a fellow P.O. to not do their job to the point it would put their careers in jeopardy (ie-DUI), but tickets are totally discretionary so my overall point here is if we have discretion than we should on occasion use it along with common sense. If it was just me I'd say nothing but numerous guys at my shop are telling war stories of them personally getting ticketed in NJ, we cant talk about being a big family and do this kinda crap
                    You're right. Jersey cops are d*cks.

Comment

I may or may not write fellow cops tickets depending on the violation, and normally spouses and kids are fair targets
                      Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                      Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

"targets", I really hope your joking

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10373 users online. 331 members and 10042 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X