300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class II Special at the Shore

I'm going to be attending the cape may police academy for 7-8 weeks this May. After that I'll be working for North Wildwood. Anyone have any advice or info regarding the academy and working at the shore as a special?

Originally posted by DEPO
    I'm going to be attending the cape may police academy for 7-8 weeks this May. After that I'll be working for North Wildwood. Anyone have any advice or info regarding the academy and working at the shore as a special?

I started off as a class II, but had 8 months of academy training. As for the academy my best advice would be to just blend in, do as your told and remember it's all just a head game.

While in the academy see if your department will let you do some ride a longs, you will really pick up alot. Ask the other specials who have been there awhile who to stay clear from, not everyone likes part timers.

Just remember this line for when you get out "your not a real cop" "well then I guess this is not a real ticket".

Good luck, let us know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by lionheart45; 04-05-2007, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart45

Just remember this line for when you get out "your not a real cop" "well then I guess this is not a real ticket".

just dont act like a full time leo... if you off duty stay off duty.. remember you can pull the badge any time but your weapon will not be with you if they issue you a weapon...

Comment

So this is a paid position and not volunteer?
        "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

So this is a paid position and not volunteer?

Yes the SLEO's are paid "Special Officers" with full police powers while on
          duty but limited as to what they can do off duty.

Comment

Jeter4MVP said:
            No offense but these part time cops are complete *******s. At wildwood.
            2 years ago me and my girlfriend walked onto the beach and I had a rum and coke in a cup. I probably would have kicked his *** if it wasnt for my girlfriend (thankfully).
            There just asshats who cant become real cops and are on a power trip.

The civilian who made the above comments is rather typical of the 20 year old student a SLEO II might encounter on the South Jersey Shore.

"2 years ago me and my girlfriend walked onto the beach and I had a rum and coke in a cup." Jeter since you list your DOB as Dec. 7, 1986 that makes you 20 yrs old so 2 yrs ago you were what 18 yrs old? That would be 2C:33-15 which is underage drinking.

"Anyways 2 part time cops stop me and I throw out the cup. and then the bastard tries to get me to fight him. " So you apparently were not charged...but they try to get you to fight....But you would have kicked *** if it wasn't for your GF.......hmmmmmm....that right?

So tell me Jeter...you on this website because you have aspirations of being a "Real Cop" yourself? Or are you just here pointing out and smirking at the "asshats"?

Comment

Lol

it's apparent that jeter is young and knows absolutely nothing about the real world.

being a special at the shore is not a "volunteer" no pay job. if you think that your going to come from the academy right into a full career position jeter...you could be in for a real eye opener. it doesn't always happen that way for everyone.

my husband worked as a special in wildwood right after graduating from the academy 13 years ago. he worked there for 1 summer until he was picked up FULL TIME in his dept of choice. 13 years later he is a sgt, firearms instuctor, active shooter instructor and swat. most of the guys in that academy class were picked up by wildwood/n. wildwood as specials...and most ALL of them are all "real cops" now with quite impressive resume's.

good luck DEPO...working the shore as a special is good experience dealing with jerk-offs like jeter here

Comment

Just like with full timeres, you get the full Gamut of Special II's..some are good, some are tools. It all depends on the guy..remember though that these folks are hired for oen reason, to deal with the HUGE numbers of Adam-Henry's that coem to the shore, get drunk and act like asshats..it doesnt take TOO much exposure to that to default to the Asshat mode when dealing with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by gpd810mertie View Post
                  it's apparent that jeter is young and knows absolutely nothing about the real world.

being a special at the shore is not a "volunteer" no pay job. if you think that your going to come from the academy right into a full career position jeter...you could be in for a real eye opener. it doesn't always happen that way for everyone.

my husband worked as a special in wildwood right after graduating from the academy 13 years ago. he worked there for 1 summer until he was picked up FULL TIME in his dept of choice. 13 years later he is a sgt, firearms instuctor, active shooter instructor and swat. most of the guys in that academy class were picked up by wildwood/n. wildwood as specials...and most ALL of them are all "real cops" now with quite impressive resume's.

good luck DEPO...working the shore as a special is good experience dealing with jerk-offs like jeter here
                  My ex-husband also did this job (we called it "summer cop" at the time) with the Ocean City, NJ PD for two summers during college, before becoming a full-time PO at a NJ department (now retired after over 20 years service).

Yes, he got paid, carried a firearm, had training, worked full-time, and put up with tons of crap. The cops that he worked with treated him great, from what i saw, and each year they gave the summer guys a huge party at the end of the season, to thank them for their help.

Most of the summer was spent patroling the boardwalk, but when they were short-handed in the cars, he would get to ride for the nite.
                  Last edited by Jellybean400; 05-18-2007, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeter4MVP

There just asshats who cant become real cops and are on a power trip.

It's very hard to get a full time position in alot of NJ towns, usually takes a bit of luck and sometimes you have to know the right people.

Most of these guys are very dedicated, no pay while at the academy and get paid crap to put up with the same **** as regulars.

Yea some are young guys on power trips but they are no different from a regular with the same attitude.

I give these guys credit I know what's it's like to be there.

Comment

I was a Class 2 in Seaside, and it was one of the best times I've had on this lousy job.

Anyway, from hindsight- DON'T do too much. It will only delay your getting hired if you wind up with complaints. Do what they want, show up on time, and keep your mouth shut. You're going to WANT to do a bunch of stuff, but keep your nose clean, and try not to get too involved. You won't be protected by a PBA, and it's in your best interest to watch your own ***.

In the academy, the other guys called me the chameleon. It wasn't until the 5th or 6th week that I was noticed by the PT instructors, but after that, it was all downhill Do your best to blend in. Sandbag, but don't be last for the first few tests. They won't expect too much of you come the final, and then blow them away in the end.
                      What Delta said x2

Comment

Man, I wish I was going to be working in a shore town when I graduate. My crazy a** decided it would be a great idea to be a Class II in Essex County, mainly working out of Newark. Greatest part is that it is all on a volunteer basis, woohoo! Man, I hope I get a full time spot quickly!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6402 users online. 348 members and 6054 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X