300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passaic County Sheriff

I was watching some reruns of COPS the other day, and the Passaic County Sheriff's Department was the featured agency. The corporal they were riding with (I forget his name) had a high & tight haircut with a mustache, and he was, IMO, a complete cranker.

He was shamelessly playing to the camera, which I can forgive as being part of human nature, but there was a scene where he surprised someone smoking crack in a hallway, and that was the last straw. He actually held his pistol sideways, "gangsta" style, to the dope's head as he ordered him to the ground.

I know nothing about NJ law enforcement, but based on what I saw on those COPS episodes, I got the impression that this agency doesn't usually get involved in street-level law enforcement as a general rule. Am I way off here?
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Delta, your observation is mostly correct. Of NJ's 21 sheriffs offices, only a couple of them do any kind of street patrol at all,they are mostly relegated to court room duties and civil process. Passaic County Sheriffs Dept.does have a road patrol division the augments the local depts. mostly in the urban areas of the county( Passaic and especially Paterson which is a real sh%thole). I don't believe that they answer 911 calls and most, if not all, calls for service are handled by local agencies. They seem to concentrate on proactive patrols in high crime areas.

The Passaic County Sheriffs are well funded and regarded as a top notch agency around these parts. They have many different units within the dept. and landing a job with them is competitive. I know exactly which officer you are referring to. I can't remember his name either but he does seem....let's say....overzealous. The episode where he is yelling at the kid for referring to him as "dude" is priceless.

Comment

Thanks, it's good to know my powers of observation are still working.

Are those deputies fully academy trained?
      Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Yes, the deputies( in NJ sheriffs personnel are referred to as officers) are fully trained. All PCSD officers start out in corrections working the county jail. They attend the police academy but are not given Title 39(NJ motor vehicle code) and 2C(NJ criminal law). After serving in corrections for a few years officers are able to go through the G.A.P.(not sure what this stands for) program in which they receive motor vehicle code instruction and criminal law training to complete their certification.

Years ago NJ sheriffs depts. would sent their recruits to a full academy right off the bat, but many officers would take the training and leave right away fot a police dept. By holding back certain aspects of the academy, sheriffs offices prevent people from using them as a stepping stone for other agencies. Some NJ sheriffs offices never offer their officers the opportunity to receive the full training required to work the road. PCSD is an exception.

Comment

Passaic County

Back in the mid 80's the Passaic County Park Police merged with the Passaic County Sheriff's Dept. Prior to that the Sheriff's Dept just had the Court House and Jail in Paterson. Passaic County is very POLITICAL not competitive.I grew up in Clifton NJ and dated a girl who's dad was a Lt. with the Dept. That is a first class agency the Sheriff now is Jerry Speziale check out his book "Without a Badge" very good read.www.pcsheriff.org

Comment

Being from North Jersey Originally (Bergen County) I love seeing Passaic County SO on COPS. Granted that deputy's reaction to that kid in the stairwell was maybe a little over zealous but, I love watching him. I think he's hilarious the way he responds to the idiots he obviously deals with and I think he's good at your job. If you've necver been to Patterson and the areas they work you can't understand what they run into and see everyday so, to a degree I can't blame him for how he performs his job.
            "Do not draw me without honor"

"Do not sheath me without Justice!"

Comment

That was a ridiculous scene, but I think the PCSD do a great job. They help us out on a moments notice. He was not playing for the cameras. He's a ball buster that takes no crap. He acts like that all the time. He's a good guy that will do anything for you.

A lot of what you are seeing on COPS are drug deals at the projects. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Sammy
              If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
              www.samanthafund.com

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman
                Years ago NJ sheriffs depts. would sent their recruits to a full academy right off the bat, but many officers would take the training and leave right away fot a police dept. By holding back certain aspects of the academy, sheriffs offices prevent people from using them as a stepping stone for other agencies. Some NJ sheriffs offices never offer their officers the opportunity to receive the full training required to work the road. PCSD is an exception.
                Actually PCSD is unique in that they promote CO's to SO's via the GAP program. Many SD's in NJ do not run the county jail, rather the county has a separate Department of Corrections with its own CO's to do that. The other SD's (besides Passaic) that do run the jail have CO's as a totally separate position. If a CO in those counties wants to be an SO he has to take the test like anyone else.

Lastly, all SO's in NJ are fully certified LEO's, the same as any other LEO in the state. There is no difference.

Comment

"The episode where he is yelling at the kid for referring to him as "dude" is priceless."

"Do I look like a DUDE to you?!?" - Yep, I know which guy your talking about.

Comment

Do I look like a DUDE to you??

This is the same guy who calls everyone cuz??? I wonder if he's still a deputy our there? There is one good episode where he caught someone in the hallway of an apt building getting ready to smoke crack....and he kept calling he PAPE.....excellent episode...

Comment

Corporal?

I worked in NJ for 11 years, and I'm trying to figure out how that guy from the Passaic Sheriff's Dept. has two stripes on his sleeve. I thought all Sheriff's Dept's were in the Civil Service, which recognizes no such rank. You start out as an Officer, then the next step is Sergeant if you pass the test and rank high enough.

Comment

Originally posted by gringoloco
                        I worked in NJ for 11 years, and I'm trying to figure out how that guy from the Passaic Sheriff's Dept. has two stripes on his sleeve. I thought all Sheriff's Dept's were in the Civil Service, which recognizes no such rank. You start out as an Officer, then the next step is Sergeant if you pass the test and rank high enough.
                        Some civil service departments in NJ have the Corporal rank. You're right, there's no test for it. It's a noncompetitive promotion solely based on years of service. For example, a department could decide that all officers with 10 years on get corporal stripes.

Comment

Does anyone know if the GAP program still used

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6229 users online. 351 members and 5878 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X