300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation info

Hello, I'm a Deputy Sheriff from Louisiana. We'll be visiting the wife's relatives in Lancaster, PA this summer. For part of the trip I'm bringing the wife & kids to the NYC area July 02-04, give or take a day. We'ld like to stay in New Jersey, within about a 15-30 min drive from Manhattan. We're heading down to Philly when we check out.

Any suggestions for safety and saving money on a hotel?

If you want safety look in the Bergen county area. Some good towns Edgewater, Fort Lee might be pricey but its definitely a safe area and right across the river so you could take your car or a transit bus straight to the times square area. In Hudson county (less safe and cheaper but not a bad place) You could go to Weehawken or Hoboken, which are also quick commutes but they have lots of bar districts so you'll have the drunks walking around, North Bergen has plenty of hotels I'd say you would find the best deals there and its within 15-30 minutes driving, just stay away from the motels. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or PM.

Comment

Sir-

You may want to stay in Secaucus. There are a ton of hotels and it is about 15 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel. The Lincoln Tunnel leaves you off in mid-town Manhatten (Times Square, Broadway shows, Empire St. Bldg etc).

Secaucus also has great mass transit into NYC. I would strongly consider taking the train or bus into the City then walking or taking a cab. Driving in NYC is terrible and there is (literally) no parking- you will find yourself parking in lots for $20 an hour.

You want to stay near a bus station to 42nd Street Port Authority terminal or near a PATH train that runs the 33rd street line. (PATH trains are in Newark, Hoboken and Jersey City). Jersey City (Journal Square) is probably the best bet because they have a parking deck.

Secaucus is about 5 minutes from the NJ Turnpike (95 south) which is the route to Philly (about 2 hours).
      10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

Originally posted by PoliceProspect View Post
        If you want safety look in the Bergen county area. Some good towns Edgewater, Fort Lee might be pricey but its definitely a safe area and right across the river so you could take your car or a transit bus straight to the times square area. In Hudson county (less safe and cheaper but not a bad place) You could go to Weehawken or Hoboken, which are also quick commutes but they have lots of bar districts so you'll have the drunks walking around, North Bergen has plenty of hotels I'd say you would find the best deals there and its within 15-30 minutes driving, just stay away from the motels. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or PM.
        Sounds good, I want to stay under a 30 min drive and trying not to spend more than $120-$130 per night. North Bergen seems to have some reasonable prices.

Originally posted by HardBall View Post
        Sir-

You may want to stay in Secaucus. There are a ton of hotels and it is about 15 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel. The Lincoln Tunnel leaves you off in mid-town Manhatten (Times Square, Broadway shows, Empire St. Bldg etc).

Secaucus also has great mass transit into NYC. I would strongly consider taking the train or bus into the City then walking or taking a cab. Driving in NYC is terrible and there is (literally) no parking- you will find yourself parking in lots for $20 an hour.

You want to stay near a bus station to 42nd Street Port Authority terminal or near a PATH train that runs the 33rd street line. (PATH trains are in Newark, Hoboken and Jersey City). Jersey City (Journal Square) is probably the best bet because they have a parking deck.

Secaucus is about 5 minutes from the NJ Turnpike (95 south) which is the route to Philly (about 2 hours).
        The two times I've been to NYC previously were day trips, and we entered via the Holland tunnel. From there it was easy to get to the Battery Park garage. Thanks for the help, any more are welcomed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6261 users online. 346 members and 5915 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X