300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next couple of years in New Jersey

I tested into one of the alt route programs a couple of years back, but I got into a bad car accident a month prior to the academy start. That's life. Now that I'm ready to apply again, this seems to be one of the toughest times to break into LE; especially since they suspended the alt route programs this year, from what I know. I have also seen that some counties like Somerset and Mercer are looking at consolidating all or some of the township forces at some point.
    Just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not you guys think this situation will “stabilize” in a few yr or so…..or if that’s a pipe dream. (I’m approaching 31). NJSP to give another test in the future or do they have a long list already?
    I don’t have any friends that are police, so bear with me on what might be a naïve question.

njsp tested last year and have not hired. many cops laid off and i would think it would be almost impossible to get a police job here and i dont see it getting better. i have 11 years in the police and fire pension and i hope the pension is still there when i retire. my advice would be to move to a state that is still hiring cops and not laying off, florida always seems to be recruiting troopers and you wont have to shovel snow there. if my wife would move i would gladly cash out my 11 years and move to cali or florida. search the web indeed.com is a good job site. there are many opportunities in other states but none here.
    Ivan, did you see the sun rise this morningsigpic?

Comment

Pursue your law enforcement dreams somewhere else...New Jersey is a lost cause.

Comment

Mercer county will NEVER CONSOLIDATE. Trust me on that, I live and work in Mercer, not happening. The suburban towns will keep their own cops and not send everyone to deal with Trenton. As for the NJSP, they need to hire quite a few troopers in the near future due to mass retirements that are going to happen in the next few years. As for other LE positions, the Alt Rte program has been suspended for all of 2011, and while there are still agencies hiring, most are civil service hiring off of their lists and rice bill, and many others are looking for guys who are already PTC certified. I will say that in the next few years, things will get better as many agencies who have put off hiring will HAVE to hire as retirements pile up and the vacancies affect day to day patrol operations. To summarize, the job market here is not the greatest for sure, but we have pretty much hit rock bottom in 2011 so things have to get better from here on out.
        " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

It should get better over the next few years, most say 2011 will be the same as 2010, but it will pick up as there are many officers all over the state retiring. Right now they are not being replaced, but that will change once people find something other than police salaries to complain about. If you really want to stay in NJ, and you are worried about the age limit, try for a job in corrections. The state corrections seems to be the only agency hiring frequently, and starting there can open up many doors for you. The current list for the NJSP may last for 2 years, but this process has been much slower than previous ones so no one can tell you for sure, might last even longer. Keep in mind sheriff officer positions and correction do not have age limits, but if you get hired after 35 you will be given the public employee pension instead of the police pension.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

NJ sucks. Period. If I could do it again (Engaged and a homeowner) I would move down south or to the southwest and try to get on a county or state department. Interdiction is where it's at down there!!!!! PLUS, once you get on in NJ the courts here suck and,as I'm sure you know, we have some of the most liberal judges in the country.

Comment

I agree with the posts here. It may get better in a few years, but for right now New Jersey is not where the jobs or the opportunities are. Down South has a much better job market, and well as the fact that they are FAR more law enforcement friendly. If you don't mind snow, I would also recommend Vermont and New Hampshire. I just left New Jersey a few months ago, and I' hoping it pays off. Good luck to you
                "Writing about yourself seems to be a lot like sticking a branch into clear river-water and roiling up the muddy bottom..."

Comment

All of your replies have been helpful. I appreciate the candid feedback. Not being in LE and not really knowing anyone that's in the field, this has been a real help so far.

Jmb- good luck.

Comment

No problem... if you have any other questions just ask.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7083 users online. 365 members and 6718 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X