NJ Transit Police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ Transit Police

Any info on them? Salary? When or how often do they hire? Good job? Anything would be great. Thanks.

They test every 2 years. Need a minimum of 60 credits. They should be doing some hiring in the near future when they start adding a tour to NY's Penn station. Salary is about mid 50's to start.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do you know if its a a good job? I have pretty much exhausted the internet looking for info...looks good. Sounds like the next best thing to the MTA Police. What tour are they adding to Penn Station??

Just seeing if you had any inside info.

Thanks.

Comment

I work at Amtrak however I go to NY pretty often for family stuff or take the GF. From talking to some NJT cops, its not a bad gig however they lose alot of people especially in Northern NJ.

As of right now, rumors are they are going to do a 12 hr tour to supplement us in patrolling the NJT waiting room. However when Amtrak ever moves into the post office, NJT will get the main concourse and MTAPD will still have the LIRR side. I know NJT is waiting on NY to issue them RR police commissions.

As far as hiring, I have no clue. I know its done by resume and you must have at minimum 60 credits to even get to take the test.

Comment

Thanks Orlando - just curious, why are they losing people...salary?? Wikipedia has them listed as toping off at 87k...however, I have heard other numbers for them that are alot lower.

Comment

Originally posted by SCB417 View Post
            Thanks Orlando - just curious, why are they losing people...salary?? Wikipedia has them listed as toping off at 87k...however, I have heard other numbers for them that are alot lower.
            Pretty much when you have some Bergen towns making over 120k per year (also the cost of living is higher).

Also you can be assigned anywhere in the state. So if you live by NNJ and the only opening they have is in AC at the train or bus station, your in for a long commute.

Comment

Gotcha - thanks Orlando. Which Bergen towns make that kind of money? Just curious, b/c I hadn't heard of many PD's in the NY/NJ area making over 100k outside of Nassau and Suffolk.

Comment

No idea. You will probably need to go thru the NJ state website to look at contracts.

Comment

All

Gotcha - thanks Orlando. Which Bergen towns make that kind of money? Just curious, b/c I hadn't heard of many PD's in the NY/NJ area making over 100k outside of Nassau and Suffolk.
                  Just about all of the municipal cops in Bergen County top out in the 100k range. Bergen cops are the highest paid in the state for municipal.

Comment

Which is sooo sweet!!
                    We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Thanks everyone - yeah it looks like Fort Lee PD and Ridgewood PD have huge salaries.

Comment

Thats nothing.. try looking at Mahwah, paramus, Bergen County Police.
                        We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

The current NJTPD contract is on the NJ Perc site. It was arbitrated.
                          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

I would think one of the major factors of people leaving would be them wanting to pursue an agency that is more in line with General Policing; which Transit is not. That being said, it is a really good gig from some of the people I have talked to. They have some really good training, equipment and are expanding into NYC very soon [read : growth!]. Funding is abundant from the government and advancement is available after only 3 years [sgt, det, spec ops, k9].

I've heard from two people that their current contract that was just negotiated is up either this summer, or next so look for that 87 [which was a huge jump over their last max pay] to jump more.

Best part of the agency is nepotism plays a small part in their hiring [yeah, it exists, but not to the extent of other agencies]. So when they are looking to hire 20-30 guys, you'll get a handful with a "hook" but compared to the smaller towns in NJ that hire 2-3 with 400-500 applying....you have a legit chance to get on.

Comment

They prefer that you have a BA or BS....

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5468 users online. 183 members and 5285 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X