Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUFFS137
    replied
    Does anyone have any idea where to pick up some Expanding FMJ? I checked Ammunition To Go and MidwayUSA..couldn't find any instock.
    http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/powrball.htm

I believe that these round would qualify as ball ammo in any state, but are designed to perform as a hollowpoint on impact (as opposed to the frangible options)
    Last edited by CUFFS137; 09-02-2008, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rscalzo
    replied
    Question

The original question was "What is the law?" and not what would YOU do if stopped. As someone correctly pointed out, it all goes out the window if you are involved in a deadly force incident involving a firearm being carried under the LEOSA. It recently was sworn in the incident involving a Hells Angel and a out of state LE officer armed under the guidelines of the LEOSA. He was charged for violations of the state laws involving a firearm in a bar and carrying a firearm while intoxicated, both state law violations.

It was incorrectly stated that under the LEOSA you are exempt from state firearm's laws. You are NOT. You are exempt from the statutes mandating a carry permit and that alone. It is unclear and untested what the effect of having in your possession hi-cap magazines(such as Mass) and hp ammo (in NJ) would have for sworn officers coming in from out of state.

Leave a comment:

• SammyCal1
    replied
    The issue of ammo is not a cop on cop issue. The issue of ammo will become an issue when an out of state cop shoots someone and the county prosecutor's office or even the state attorney's general's office gets involved.

The previous attorney general made his position clear on HR 218, which pretty much stated that although HR 218 may give an out of state officer the right to carry in this state, that officer is a private citizen here and must comply with all other state firearms laws. The current attorney general has not changed that position.

Sammy

Leave a comment:

• SA216
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill View Post
    I've stopped plenty of cops in my short career and the last thing I think about is if they're carrying a weapon and what kind of ammo they have. Who the hell cares. If your a cop, your a cop.
    That's what I would hope based on my experience!

Leave a comment:

• wpaterno
    replied
    218 makes a sworn police officer exempt for state guns laws............

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    I've stopped plenty of cops in my short career and the last thing I think about is if they're carrying a weapon and what kind of ammo they have. Who the hell cares. If your a cop, your a cop.

Leave a comment:

• fatalz
    replied
    Does anyone have any idea where to pick up some Expanding FMJ? I checked Ammunition To Go and MidwayUSA..couldn't find any instock.

Leave a comment:

• SA216
    replied
    Excellent point on ball ammo, and I agree, it probably really isn't an everyday issue, but figured better to get the facts. I also figured if it was an issue, probably something like Glasers. Luckily I like the issued Sig and haven't had a problem keeping it concealed.

Leave a comment:

• CUFFS137
    replied
    I personally carry my departmentally issued ammo at all times.
    This is a common question for all cops travelling state to state. I have no idea what the laws are reguarding ammo in my neighboring states. I know that if I come across a cop from out of state, or a federal officer, I'll never know, or care what kind of ammo he/she has in their weapon.

This is an issue that was missed by the authors of HR.218. Ball ammo is more dangerous to everyone except the intended target. I doubt very much that anyone would want LEO's carrying ball ammo off duty anywhere.

The easy solution is to simply swap out to something like a 'Glaser safety slug' when off duty. As ammo goes, I have to imaging 'safety slugs' would be acceptable under any state imposed restrictions.
    Last edited by CUFFS137; 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mahoot
    replied
    NYC PO Incident

If I remember correctly, this incident happened shortly before the right to carry bill was passed. The PO got involved in a shooting and was charged with the gun and the hollow points. I don't know the outcome.

Leave a comment:

• ignignokt373
    replied
    I've been stopped several times on the Jersey Turnpike in my POV heading to NYC to go screw-off for the weekend.

I have never, ever had the Officer ask me what kind of ammo I had. I was told to slow down and sent on my way after advising them I was armed, then showed them my Creds/Badge.

Leave a comment:

• SA216
    replied
    This reminds me of some NJ firearms questions I have...

I am a former county police officer from MD and am now an 1811 federal agent, new to NJ. During our legal classes at the academy, the topic of NJ was brought up and the instructor said we could carry our dept. issued weapon and issued hollow points off duty in NJ, but we could NOT carry a personal weapon with hollow points, even though the personal weapon was allowed per agency policy and we had no policy on off-duty ammo (standards, etc.). Like the previous poster said, I am sure most cops are fair and reasonable, but they warned us about a NYPD officer who was prosecuted for carrying his duty ammo in NJ, and said that FLEOSA would not protect us from NJ's ban. *My* take on it, and please chime in, is that if as a fed, I could already carry off-duty without FLEOSA, I wouldn't be a "civilian" in the sense of the law and prior posts if I had my personal gun and ammo.

On a related note, what are the laws regarding other weapons? Is registration required for personal handguns, shotguns and are "assault rifles" prohibited? I promise I am not Tackleberry, I chose to leave my gun safe and personal weapons with a relative out of state, but would like to have my G26.

Thanks for your insight

(FWIW, I went to my local PD and they didn't have any answers!)

Leave a comment:

• rscalzo
    replied
    Coming into NJ from out of state, you are considered a civilian. Under the LEOSA, you cannot "carry" hp ammo. You can possess it if secured in the vehicle. That is the letter of the law. Attempts to change it never went anywhere. Reality is that I would say no one would care in the least if you carry your departmental ammo.

I swap out my carry ammo with Federal Expanding FMJ. It is as effective and in some cases more than hp ammo, especially some of the heavier 9mm loads. Most hp ammo does not expand unless it comes into contact with a heavy mass. But your liability in carrying a load not authorized by your department puts you in a Catch 22.

This is another area of the LEOSA than needs refinement in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Mahoot
    replied
    Hollow Point

It is illegal for CIVILIANS to carry hollow points in NJ. That includes retired Police Officers. When I first qualified after I retired, I was told to shoot up what I had (hollow points). If that is dept issued, your qualification is up to date, you should be OK

Leave a comment:

• L223
    started a topic Question for NJ officers re: hollowpoint ammunition

Question for NJ officers re: hollowpoint ammunition

It is my understanding that hollow point ammunition is illegal in NJ. I frequently travel through New Jersey going from MD to Long Island (fiancee is Long Island native). My department issues Federal Hydrashock 9mm hollowpoint ammunition. Though I certainly don't plan on coming into contact with police where the type of ammunition I am carrying would become a problem, you never know what will happen. Is the law written so no one can possess these types of rounds or are there exceptions for sworn law enforcement officers? Would it be suggested to switch to ball ammunition (which would be in violation of department policy) for travels through New Jersey, or just keep using the same issued rounds that I am trained with and authorized to carry? I know if Maryland had a law like this and I ran into an officer carrying hollow points I would do my best to ignore it and say have a nice day, as I am sure 99.9% of NJ officers would, but there is always that one guy who is trying to make a name for himself and would push the issue. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5074 users online. 265 members and 4809 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X