Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I become an officer in New Hampshire or Massachusetts?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I become an officer in New Hampshire or Massachusetts?

Hi, I live on the New Hampshire border, not even 5 minutes away from the border, and reside in Massachusetts, I’m going to go to college for a criminal justice degree after high school (haven’t decided where yet), but I was wondering what state should I take the academy and what state to become an officer in. I plan after college to get an apartment in any either state but where I work will affect where I live. If I stay local, is New Hampshire a better state to become an officer in or Massachusetts? What about the academy, is the New Hampshire academy more or less demanding? Is the salary better in either state? Which state has generally more of a community feel to it? Poll below on which state you think is better to work for, thanks. (also posted on Mass group)
    New Hampshire
    0%
    Massachusetts
    100.00%
    They’re too similar
    0%

I wasn't aware you could do polls here lol. If I were you I'd test in both states. Not sure about Boston but with all the large agencies going through all the reforms and civil unrest I'd do your my homework on some of these departments. It's a different world since I got in. Good luck!

Comment

Best of luck on you chosen career. I can't help you on which state to choose, however (and no doubt much to your surprise), I would like to discourage you from getting a degree in criminal justice. Here's why -

1. When you go in the academy, most of what they teach will duplicate what you have learned in your CJ degree. There's no point in paying to learn the same thing twice.

2. In most departments, any degree bumps your pay.

3. Many discover police work is not for them and leave the profession. If that happens, a Criminal Justice degree is worthless when it comes to getting a job in most private sector companies.

4. Because of the unusually high injury and stress rate, many cops wind up going out early on a disability retirement. The money is good for a while but inflation catches up and you will need to get a second job. Again, a CJ degree will be worthless when it comes to getting a job in most private sector companies.

5. If you do make a lifelong career in law enforcement, you no doubt want to go up the ladder. When you do, as a supervisor and later a manager, you will be dealing with issues like labor relations, budgeting, marketing, public relations, communications, completed staff work, statistics, personnel management, research, grant writing, community outreach, accounting, logistics, fleet management, audits, and equipment acquisition just to name a few. When this happens, you will be kicking yourself in the head because you got a CJ degree instead of one in Business or Public Administration.

Consider going for a degree in Business or Public Administration. While you will take classes in core business subjects, you will have plenty of free electives you can use to take almost as many classes in criminal justice as your core subjects. Your degree will be in business but you will get a CJ education at the same time that will hopefully give you enough information to help you score higher on civil service exams for law enforcement jobs. Should things later go south (dissatisfaction with a law enforcement career, disability retirement, etc.) having a degree in Business or Public Administration will open many doors to getting a meaningful job that pays well with a private company.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

You go where the first job they hire you at is.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5162 users online. 283 members and 4879 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X