300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer from Out of State

I am a deputy in South Florida and I was wondering what it would be to trasfer up to NH. Would I have to go through the academy again or would I have to just take an exam? I know it is different in every state, but my wife wants to move to NH. Thanks
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
    Proversb 3:5

Hey italyn,

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that. But I though it was funny that I'm here in NH getting my BS in criminal justice, and thinking about going there, and you're there thinking about coming here. My Mother lives in Wilton Manors, and I've thought about FLPD or BSO after I graduate this year. If you are on FLPD we might have met. I worked security at the Galleria years ago, and you guys were there often on my 12-8. If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know. I will if I can.
    "I never got in trouble for keeping my mouth shut." Robert Parker's Chief Stone

Comment

If you're already full-time certified, you'll most likely only have to do the NH Law Package which is 100 hours.

Comment

I work for BSO, I am in a super busy district and i love it. I think i would be board in NH. We have had 5 homicides in the last month... and numrous other hot calls, and that makes a night go by quick. Do you get hired then take the LE package or do you do it on your own?

Comment

I would bet you an Ice Coffee you would do a Law Package. Its 2 weeks. You sit in with the full time class and only take the law classes. Unfortunately its spread out. You would attend a class when it relates to Law. Good luck brother and be safe. You probably do more in one week than I do all year.

Comment

Originally posted by italyn View Post
            I work for BSO, I am in a super busy district and i love it. I think i would be board in NH. We have had 5 homicides in the last month... and numrous other hot calls, and that makes a night go by quick. Do you get hired then take the LE package or do you do it on your own?
            You have to get hired by an agency here in NH before you can be sent to the academy. NH is definitely not as busy as South Florida, but there is plenty of work to go around. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

When I retire from the LAPD, I'm also thinking about moving there to New Hampshire. I grew up in Massachusetts so I'm somewhat familiar with New Hampshire and know it's a beautiful state.

Would we have to complete the law package in the academy before we are able to hit the street or is it an ongoing thing while we're already working?

As Italyn mentioned, it would be a bit slower, but after 20 years on the streets of Los Angeles, anywhere in New Hampshire would be a welcome change. I'd just have to get used to the snow and cold again!

Comment

crazy how things happen, I talk about how busy the streets are here and the next night we have 3 armed robberys with in 1 hour. Then another one 3 hours later. Just in one night a few hours apart. The city i work in gets about 10,000 + calls a month... i do not know but i guess that is pretty busy i have not worked anywhere else and they say that is a lot from the friends i have at other agencys.

My wife really wants to move to NH, she is sick of the crime where i am at. In a year we had 4 Deputys shot and only one survived. 2 of the deputys were shot in the city i work in.

Well all in time i will see if i am moving or not. Stay safe out there.

Comment

if you are certified out of state, NH requires you to go through a law package. I would personally suggest NHSP as you can atleast have full reign of the state and transfer to whichever area you may prefer. I personally love the fact NH allows you to do the law package, makes the moves/transfer easier and quicker.

The law package is I believe 100+ hours, easy classroom stuff basically.
                  "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
                  "Treat everyone like a million bucks..But always have a plan to kill them"

Comment

You only need to take a law package if you transfer, as long as the Florida Academy is POST certified. I believe it is, as I started the process there for BSO before moving to NH. Where you live in NH will determine whether or not you will be able to hit the streets before attending the law package classes, or if you will have to wait until after. If you work for a large department like Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth, etc., you will probably have to take the law package first. The larger departments usually time their hiring processes with the police academy, so you can take those classes before going out on the road. If you work for a smaller department as I do, you will probabaly be able to at least start an FTO before you take the academy classes, but remember that your classes will be taken along with the full time academy, when they take their law classes, so you will not be on a regular "academy schedule", but will have to go periodically during the full time academy. As for the amount of calls you may handle, it is definatly busier in the Broward-Dade area, but there are fewer officers here in the smaller towns so you will handle many calls on your own, and handle them from start to finish. We had a SGT here who transfered from LAPD, who always said that he, as an individual officer, was just as busy here, and many times was more "nervous" on calls here, because you may only have one backup unit, if any, and in LA there would be, many times, 12 cops on one call.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
                    Live freeze and die

Comment

EMS,
                      Would you mind passing on the name of the LAPD sergeant, maybe in a PM? I'd be curious to find out if we know each other.

Does he still work for you guys?

Comment

I had a friend that transferred up here from Florida and went back a year later once he realized how messed up NH law enforcement is... Its a different beast up here bro.. There is NO brotherhood anymore.. Three of my buddies came here from Texas and all went back also. Send us your criminals and free staters and we'll make them law makers.....

Comment

Originally posted by cuffnstuff View Post
                          I had a friend that transferred up here from Florida and went back a year later once he realized how messed up NH law enforcement is... Its a different beast up here bro.. There is NO brotherhood anymore.. Three of my buddies came here from Texas and all went back also. Send us your criminals and free staters and we'll make them law makers.....
                          i dont think you can really sum up all NH law enforcement like that. I have strong brotherhood in my area that for sure. Plenty of free-staters but at the same time, it doesnt affect me from doing my job.
                          "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
                          "Treat everyone like a million bucks..But always have a plan to kill them"

Comment

It all comes down to what you are used to... I know people that have left NH law enforcement and come back after doing time on the job in other places. Where I work the "brotherhood" is very strong, and it really feels like I am part of a family.
                            Live freeze and die

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6275 users online. 371 members and 5904 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X