Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California Highway Patrol in Las Vegas?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • California Highway Patrol in Las Vegas?

    Just out of curiousity, why would there be a slick top CHP cruiser in west Las Vegas? I was driving on the 215 today, and passed one, and thought it was a bit out of place. Do they frequently come to Vegas on official business, or do they just drive into town and over to the Summerlin area for the hell of it?

    I've also been told by one of my friends that they saw a CHP cruiser making a traffic stop on the 215 a few months back, but didn't believe them. Now Im not sure they were lying. Any ideas on if this is allowed (maybe they help NHP out, but that seems.... odd) or why they come here?

  • #2
    When injury TCs occur in N/E San Bernardino County, the nearest hospital is in Las Vegas. It is not unusual for units to travel there in order to conduct follow up investigations and interviews.

    Re traffic stops - sometimes you are not able to catch up to a car and make a stop for a violation that occurred in your state, until the vehicle in question is in the next state. Finally, California, Arizona, Nevada and Oregon have enacted laws giving Highway Patrol, DPS and State Police personnel, peace officer authority for up to 50 miles into each other's state when requested to provide assistance to one another.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      When injury TCs occur in N/E San Bernardino County, the nearest hospital is in Las Vegas. It is not unusual for units to travel there in order to conduct follow up investigations and interviews.

      Re traffic stops - sometimes you are not able to catch up to a car and make a stop for a violation that occurred in your state, until the vehicle in question is in the next state. Finally, California, Arizona, Nevada and Oregon have enacted laws giving Highway Patrol, DPS and State Police personnel, peace officer authority for up to 50 miles into each other's state when requested to provide assistance to one another.
      Makes sense.. I just thought it was wierd to be driving and see a slicktop CHP unit next to me on the freeway.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Re traffic stops - sometimes you are not able to catch up to a car and make a stop for a violation that occurred in your state, until the vehicle in question is in the next state.

        Hmmm... New York only allows you to drive into another state while in close pursuit of a suspect who has committed a crime, not a traffic violation. I have no authority to stop a speeding car that makes it into another state for a traffic violation I witnessed in New York. I would be curious to know how CHP guys can legally issue a traffic summons doing the same thing?

        I see State Troopers doing this all the time and no one seems to ever bring this up in court. I wonder why?

        Comment


        • #5
          There are a couple of resident posts near the California/Nevada Border and the officers working out of those posts have to drive to Las Vegas hospitals for investigative follow-ups. Also, Las Vegas is the closest major city for them to do their shopping. Those resident posts are in Death Valley and at Eagle Pass (on I-15).

          There is a reciprocity agreement between the two States, and agencies, concerning law enforcement activities. If a CHP officer is in the city and observes a major violation, it will initiate a traffic stop and call for either a Las Vegas PD unit or a Nevada Highway Patrol unit to take over the investigation. As you can well imagine it is not unreasonable for an officer to see a DUI in or around the city - they are abundant.

          By the way, you may also see a CHP officer in Arizona, Idaho or Oregon doing the same thing. There are resident posts all along the Eastern and Northern borders of CA.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

          [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DH21187 View Post
            Hmmm... New York only allows you to drive into another state while in close pursuit of a suspect who has committed a crime, not a traffic violation. I have no authority to stop a speeding car that makes it into another state for a traffic violation I witnessed in New York. I would be curious to know how CHP guys can legally issue a traffic summons doing the same thing?

            I see State Troopers doing this all the time and no one seems to ever bring this up in court. I wonder why?
            If it is a felony violation in California, the interstate compact on hot pursuit applies, the driver goes in the hooks and extradition is the next step. If it is for a lesser violation and the driver refuses to sign the citation, the officer simply takes the information and applies for a warrant back in California. Most driver's sign. It's easier than getting carried off to jail on a warrant when they return to the state.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

            Comment


            • #7
              There is another aspect I forgot to mention. Some of the CHP resident posts along the California/Nevada border are in such an isolated area that the officers Live in Nevada.

              For example, CHP has what it euphamistically calls the Shoshone Resident post. Shoshone, California, is a gas station, restaurant and a couple of trailers. The CHP resident post officer actually lives 27 miles away in nearest thing to civilization, Pahrump, Nevada.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                There is another aspect I forgot to mention. Some of the CHP resident posts along the California/Nevada border are in such an isolated area that the officers Live in Nevada.

                For example, CHP has what it euphamistically calls the Shoshone Resident post. Shoshone, California, is a gas station, restaurant and a couple of trailers. The CHP resident post officer actually lives 27 miles away in nearest thing to civilization, Pahrump, Nevada.
                That makes sense. I wonder if he pays state income tax, since he is a resident of Nevada and we don't have any. I've also driven through Shoshone, and couldn't imagine living there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                  There are a couple of resident posts near the California/Nevada Border and the officers working out of those posts have to drive to Las Vegas hospitals for investigative follow-ups. Also, Las Vegas is the closest major city for them to do their shopping. Those resident posts are in Death Valley and at Eagle Pass (on I-15).

                  There is a reciprocity agreement between the two States, and agencies, concerning law enforcement activities. If a CHP officer is in the city and observes a major violation, it will initiate a traffic stop and call for either a Las Vegas PD unit or a Nevada Highway Patrol unit to take over the investigation. As you can well imagine it is not unreasonable for an officer to see a DUI in or around the city - they are abundant.

                  By the way, you may also see a CHP officer in Arizona, Idaho or Oregon doing the same thing. There are resident posts all along the Eastern and Northern borders of CA.

                  That is the story I was told about the resident officer living close to state line. When I used to live off of Eastern & Serene I would see CHP at least once a week heading towards the I-15.

                  CrossFit

                  RossTraining

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by djblank87 View Post
                    That is the story I was told about the resident officer living close to state line. When I used to live off of Eastern & Serene I would see CHP at least once a week heading towards the I-15.
                    The places I have seen CHP in Vegas also make sense of coming into Vegas via I-15, getting stuff in town, and heading Blue Diamond/SR-160 out to Pahrump.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by crazynova View Post
                      Just out of curiousity, why would there be a slick top CHP cruiser in west Las Vegas? I was driving on the 215 today, and passed one, and thought it was a bit out of place. Do they frequently come to Vegas on official business, or do they just drive into town and over to the Summerlin area for the hell of it?

                      I've also been told by one of my friends that they saw a CHP cruiser making a traffic stop on the 215 a few months back, but didn't believe them. Now Im not sure they were lying. Any ideas on if this is allowed (maybe they help NHP out, but that seems.... odd) or why they come here?
                      That's kinda funny your friend saw a CHP pulling over a car in Vegas. Did you your friend say if it was a silver BMW? That was me that got pulled over. I saw him getting on 215 from Tropicana and flew by him. He pulled me over gave me a lecture then tried to call HP and Metro. There was no one around so he had to let me go.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ///M3Dave View Post
                        That's kinda funny your friend saw a CHP pulling over a car in Vegas. Did you your friend say if it was a silver BMW? That was me that got pulled over. I saw him getting on 215 from Tropicana and flew by him. He pulled me over gave me a lecture then tried to call HP and Metro. There was no one around so he had to let me go.
                        Your lucky day.....Tickets are pricey, along withe the increased insurance rates...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by VegasMetro View Post
                          Your lucky day.....Tickets are pricey, along withe the increased insurance rates...
                          I learned that with my first ticket when I was 16. I couldn't afford increased insurance, so I took it to a lawyer and got it knocked down to no points and traffic school, but it ended up being like $450 for 60 in a 35. I also learned that day that Marshals can enforce traffic as well. Nice lesson though, I haven't even been pulled over in the 3 years since.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ///M3Dave View Post
                            That's kinda funny your friend saw a CHP pulling over a car in Vegas. Did you your friend say if it was a silver BMW? That was me that got pulled over. I saw him getting on 215 from Tropicana and flew by him. He pulled me over gave me a lecture then tried to call HP and Metro. There was no one around so he had to let me go.
                            My brother had a really nice/tastefully modified silver E36 M3 for a while. It was a fun car.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              funny you mentioned that, i saw the same thing on wednesday too!!! i was like huh??

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4086 users online. 242 members and 3844 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X