Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevada Highway Patrol Oral Interview

Hi,

I am new here. I would like to know if anyone has taken the oral interview for NHP. If you have, can you please let me know what questions they may ask besides the "Why do you want to be a police officer?" Any help is greatly appreciated.

Phil

This is from another post i did:
    they asked where i was willing to work, if i would relocate, lets see, what my definition of personal integrity is, if a officer lied about his conduct did i think he should be fired and why, what i did to prepare for this job, list a personality flaw, and maybe 1 or 2 others. It was with 3 people. Thats really it. Very straight forward, they asked some follow ups after the answer.

I didnt move past that, not 100% sure why but when they returned my packet there were case notes that said the Lyon County SO background investigator told them that they where going to pick me up. Not sure if they just didnt move forward cause of that or if because i told them i wouldnt work anywhere in the state. One guy really didnt like my response to that question.

Comment

Originally posted by chbix View Post
      Not sure if they just didnt move forward cause of that or if because i told them i wouldnt work anywhere in the state. One guy really didnt like my response to that question.

Yeah - they pretty much have that as a requirement. You can start in southern nevada then they say "hey, were going to relocate you to ELY " and you SOL . That and their current pay scale.

Comment

See and thats what bugs me, I originally didnt want to do the NHP thing because its a state agency and i just moved to northern NV so I didnt want to end up in vegas, cause im not moving after I just moved here. So i asked the recruiting people and they gave me the whole bit about that we can keep you in a general area around where you live blah blah blah go ahead and apply, etc. Which seems to be total BS. I wasnt trying to be crappy and say I will just work here, I told them id work in most of northern nv, i just wouldnt relocate.

Comment

Thanks for responses. Also, one of the requirements is for you to relocate somewhere else? And you have to relocate or get fired? O ya, congrats on Lyon County SO.

Comment

well i havent been hired by lyon co, yet, but i am on the hire list just waiting for an opening, which should be soon, but thanks for the grats anyway.

I think somewhere on the jod description it says something like please indicate the geographic area in which you wish to work. so i would think they would keep you in that area.

I dont know if its a matter of relocate or lose your job but who knows. For someone coming in from out of state I dont know if its an issue, but i moved to northern NV first and then decided i wanted to get in to LE, I just moved my family up here, we just bought a house, and really with todays market I dont think i could sell my house and at least get what i paid for it, plus i like where we are at.....

Like i said i didnt get past the interview so I dont know how they determine where you end up.... that was my personal experience and my thoughts.

Anyway good luck with it and let us know

Comment

OK, thanks again. And I am hoping they call you soon, and I am crossing my fingers for you. Good luck to you. Let us know what's going on, too. And I will let you know how things go as well. I'm nervous just thinking about it.

Comment

do you haved a scheduled interview already?
                They know your going to be nervous, its expected. Just be honest with them

Comment

Not to derail, but chbix did you ever take a look at Carson City SO? They've been hiring for as long as I can remember and still are, however there are only about 4 or 5 deputy sheriff positions left until they reach full capacity because of better funding. I know firsthand there's a lot of action, gangs and drugs are big here and the equipment is top notch (Taser X-26 for anyone and Liberty lightbar on brand new vehicles with push bumpers, shotguns in vehicles, etc.) as well as there a lot of awesome deputies.

Just a thought if for some reason Lyon County doesn't work out.
                  Last edited by superkoopa; 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM. Reason: Added some info

Comment

Interview is this Monday.

Comment

Well good luck on monday

As for the Carson city, I applied for a few agencies, RPD, Sparks PD, washoe co, churchill co, fallon pd, etc

I live in Fernley, which is Lyon co, so that is one of the reasons i wanted to work with lyon co.

Churchill co, fallon pd, and washoe co told me that i had to live closer, basically in washoe or churchill co. So thats what stopped me from applying to like carson and douglas. Plus living in fernely, caron city is a drive, and i dont want to commute that far... but if things dont work out I will take a look at them. I emailed lyon co and was told that they are getting ready to hire people and they need an updated dmv and credit report since it has been like 4 months since i sent all that to them....so hopefully thats good news.

Comment

Originally posted by chbix View Post
                        Well good luck on monday

As for the Carson city, I applied for a few agencies, RPD, Sparks PD, washoe co, churchill co, fallon pd, etc

I live in Fernley, which is Lyon co, so that is one of the reasons i wanted to work with lyon co.

Churchill co, fallon pd, and washoe co told me that i had to live closer, basically in washoe or churchill co. So thats what stopped me from applying to like carson and douglas. Plus living in fernely, caron city is a drive, and i dont want to commute that far... but if things dont work out I will take a look at them. I emailed lyon co and was told that they are getting ready to hire people and they need an updated dmv and credit report since it has been like 4 months since i sent all that to them....so hopefully thats good news.
                        Now way - you live in Fernely? That's where all my family is, I lived there before we moved to Vegas when I was 7 I think but most of my Family is from there and either lives there or in Reno. Actually my Mom, Aunt, Uncle's Brandma, and a bunch of cousins live there still. Fernely is home away from home. I always feel so relaxed and happy when I'm there, even if its a small town but there sure as hell been alot of growth there in the past 8 years or so

Good luck with everything bud!

Comment

Yeah we like fernley too, we moved in there about 9 months ago. It was a little bit of a change since we moved from a big city environment in Souther Cali.

There has been huge growth since ive been there, all kinds of houses going in, big retailers (a walmart will be done this year and a target and lowes will be in 2008).

We liked it cause of the small town nature, the growth, and its not too far from things (reno or fallon is like 30 min away).

anyway how did your interview go phil

Comment

Hey,

Man oh man was I nervous as hell. I don't know how it went, but I hope it went well. I'm still nervous as of right now. The questions were:

Why do you think you would be a good candidate for DPS?
                            What have you done to prepare for the position?
                            What is your definition of personal integrity? Give an example.
                            What are your strengths and weaknesses?
                            Describe a time when a person was verbally aggressive or confrontational towards you. What did you do?
                            If an officer from another department was saying racial slurs towards a minority suspect, and you overheard him, what would you do?

I kind of struggled on this last one. I said that I would pull the officer aside and tell him that he should stop saying those things, and that it is not right. When I was on my way home, I was thinking I should have said that it would look bad on him, me, and law enforcement officers. His behavior will reflect police officer's negatively. That's about it. I was told in 2 weeks I will find out about the result. I'm hoping and praying I pass.

Comment

well its over, there where some questions they didnt ask me, the verbal aggression and the racial slurs.

They told me 2 weeks as well (however I got my we regret to inform you letter with in 3 days so if your out you will know fast. But im sure you did fine. Like i said they know your nervous and take that into consideration.

Where you applying to anywhere else?

Anyway good luck and let us know

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5940 users online. 349 members and 5591 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X