Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future applicant

Hello.
    I am new to this forum and i will be sending my aplication for North Las Vegas Corrections for the December testing. I know that date is few months away but i just wanted to get all the facts straight if possible.
    First i am a newly USA citizen, will that effect my chances?
    -I am currently finishing my second degree in college , what is the number of trips that you have to make back and forth if you are out of state( i am from East Coast)?
    -What are the standards for writen ,physical and psych exams, and are they some guidelines to follow?
    -What are the physical requirements? Are there are physical requirements that can disquallify you. Vision requirements?
    -Does employment history plays a role in hiering process?
    -Can someone be to big for the process?
    According to the BMI charts i am morbidly obese and actually i am off the charts (height and weight combined)
    Any reply will be greatly appreciated, positive or negative.
    Thank you

Anyone know any details?

Comment

Yes employment history plays a role in hiring.
      To Big, Morbidly Obese? How Big are you bud?
      The written for Corrections, I hope you are good in Math!

Comment

I cant give you much of the details on that particular department, however on the too big comment.

I am a big guy, and accept that, i am 5' 9 250, i am always high on the bmi scales, according to those charts i should weigh somewhere around 150-180, which if you saw what I looked like I would be unhealthy, I have a big chest, legs, etc, i am over weight to a degree, but im not morbidly obeese. I have passed PAT's, I work out, eat right, run, etc.

Being a big guy is no big deal if you are still able to be physically active. Think football linebacker, they may be big, but are still strong and able to be active (chase after bg's)

The question is how big are you, can you still run? pushups? etc.

I know that some departments have heigh/weight limits (some will do body fat instead), some dont care as long as you pass the pat.

So hope that can be of some help

I dont know anything about North LV so thats the only insight i can offer.

Comment

Ok. First thank you for the replies. I am 6'6" and my current weight is 307. My entire life i have player rugby, handball and lifted weights . My father is a ex legionare so physicall fitness was and still is big part of my life. Regarding the pushups, situps and running i just received e mail from a NVCO office with the requirements. I believe that i am going to be fine.
          Employment history i am fine with that. I have been working in the inpatient /lock in facilities(psychiatric facilities /DYS) for 5 years since i was 18 with kids and ages 20 to 80 for the past 3 years.
          i am very good with books/ school , i have a degree in Mental Health and Human Services and i am finishing up a degree in Criminal Justice so i an not really worried about the academic part.
          Last edited by viking81; 06-07-2007, 01:33 AM.

Comment

call CNLV Human rescources (702) 633-1500. You can also go to www.joinnlvpd.com and contact a recruiter.

as far as I know, as long as you are healthy and can past the PAT, you should be good

Comment

agree with the above post, your a big guy like me, but it shouldnt be a problem. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by viking81 View Post
                Ok. First thank you for the replies. I am 6'6" and my current weight is 307. My entire life i have player rugby, handball and lifted weights . My father is a ex legionare so physicall fitness was and still is big part of my life. Regarding the pushups, situps and running i just received e mail from a NVCO office with the requirements. I believe that i am going to be fine.
                Employment history i am fine with that. I have been working in the inpatient /lock in facilities(psychiatric facilities /DYS) for 5 years since i was 18 with kids and ages 20 to 80 for the past 3 years.
                i am very good with books/ school , i have a degree in Mental Health and Human Services and i am finishing up a degree in Criminal Justice so i an not really worried about the academic part.
                Dude you sound like you will do fine. Plus that fact that in Corrections you dont have a 6 1/2 month academy where you start out running 3 miles a day and end running 6+ miles day. If Im not wrong, your academy will be only 9 weeks. Again, with your education and size, you sounds like a solid fit for corrections.

Comment

Thank you guy's. I just accepted for my Criminal Justice internship in one of the local town's. I will be with Gang task force for next 6 weeks. That will complete my Criminal Justice degree, i have also signed up for the EMT Basic course over the summer to keep me bussy.

Comment

I'm kinda big myself 5'9" 237 lbs. I am a weight lifter...I'm not a fan of running but I did the 1.5 mile run in 15:36. There was no way I was going to fail that run after flying out there from Ohio! I have been very pleased with NLVPD thus far. GOOD LUCK!

2 1/2 months into the background check...and the wait continues!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6107 users online. 345 members and 5762 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X