300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Past and Becoming a LEO

I have a history of past drug usage (ecstasy)... I did it a handful of times over 4 years ago when I was 17-19 years old. I admitted to this in my background for LVMPD because I was always told “tell the truth”. But there were also people who said never admit to using hard drugs. I told the truth because I figure that woulda been the best thing to do. However, I got DQ’ed indefinitely. I figure I woulda just got DQ for a few years, but indefinitely? Man... it sucks. Now, I’m feeling very discouraged with my LEO career. If LVMPD DQ’ed me for life, then why wouldn’t other agencies do the same you know? Does anyone know of people using hard drugs and were hired by other agencies like NLVPD, DPS, or Henderson? Or should I just call it quits and seek a different career path?

Note, I didn’t have dreams of joining law enforcement when I was younger. If I did, I woulda made better choices in the past. But, I took an interest in criminal justice in 2017, and became a criminal justice major, and I hadn’t used any drugs as a criminal justice major nor have I had any interest in using again. I just hung out with the wrong crowd in my home state which I moved away from back in 2016.

When you were 17-19 years old you made some seriously bad decisions. Now you are 23 or so and the consequences of those decisions are nipping at your ***** while you pursue your dreams of a career in law enforcement.

You have taken the first step by owning your problem, accepting responsibility for your bad choices. That is a positive.

You are also pursuing educational credentials that will be appealing to many agencies. That is a positive.

The big roadblock at this point is, in my opinion, that you are still a very young applicant. While 3 or 4 years seems like a long time ago to you now (and it is, as a percentage of your time on planet Earth), it is not that long a time in the real world. Lots of drug users clean themselves up for extended periods, then lots of them go back to earlier behavior patterns during stressful periods in their lives.

Best suggestions I can offer are for you to continue and complete your educational program while you gain a few more years of distance from your past indiscretions, and along the way you may find it helpful to volunteer for youth programs and counseling for young people going through what you experienced a few years ago. Stability, responsibility, and commitment to community will demonstrate your potential far more than anything else.

Best regards.

Comment

No amount of time would be acceptable by my agency. PDQ.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

4-5 years from past use of harder drugs is not enough distance for most agencies, in my experience.

You put some heavy weight on one end of the scale when you were a teen...a few years 'clean' and some college classes aren't yet enough to balance it, much less tip it in your favor. It'll probably be a few more years combined with significant effort to show you're the kind of person that can be trusted to do the job. Volunteer work is a great idea, combined with many years of stable work history, family life, etc.

Even so, there may will be some agencies that will never be willing to overlook it. Just like there are probably some departments that will take a risk with less time and effort on your part. You'll just have to start doing your research to find out where your best chances lie.

Comment

Find another career.

Comment

You should apply to Nevada Department of Corrections. You will get hired!

Comment

Originally posted by bgc_24 View Post
              I have a history of past drug usage (ecstasy)... I did it a handful of times over 4 years ago when I was 17-19 years old. I admitted to this in my background for LVMPD because I was always told “tell the truth”. But there were also people who said never admit to using hard drugs. I told the truth because I figure that woulda been the best thing to do. However, I got DQ’ed indefinitely. I figure I woulda just got DQ for a few years, but indefinitely? Man... it sucks. Now, I’m feeling very discouraged with my LEO career. If LVMPD DQ’ed me for life, then why wouldn’t other agencies do the same you know? Does anyone know of people using hard drugs and were hired by other agencies like NLVPD, DPS, or Henderson? Or should I just call it quits and seek a different career path?

Note, I didn’t have dreams of joining law enforcement when I was younger. If I did, I woulda made better choices in the past. But, I took an interest in criminal justice in 2017, and became a criminal justice major, and I hadn’t used any drugs as a criminal justice major nor have I had any interest in using again. I just hung out with the wrong crowd in my home state which I moved away from back in 2016.
              1. "Over 4 years ago" ... that's pretty much yesterday in the world of law enforcement hiring.

2. "A handful of times" = I was doing it all the time

3. You're 23. Super young. Your immaturity was recent.

Ecstacy is an auto DQ almost everywhere, and everywhere you apply will know your record over at LVMPD.

You might have an outside chance at a corrections job down the road, but as others have said I would start looking at a different career path.

Comment

• BlackEdge702
                BlackEdge702 commented
                Editing a comment
                "everywhere you apply will know your record over at LVMPD."
                Not really, they destroy background investigation documents after 3 years. They will know what he tells them.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you have next to no shot at getting hired in LE. The reason is they will inevitably have candidates that have a cleaner background than years. I got DQ'd and never touched a drug in my life. It is extremely hard to get into LE even with a clean background like mine. And I only had credit issues and had less than 2 years removed from being terminated from a job.

Comment

. But there were also people who said never admit to using hard drugs. I told the truth because I figure that woulda been the best thing to do..
                If you don't disclose your past drug usage you are lying on an official document.

Ecstasy usage is going to be a hard disqualification almost everywhere ...............and anywhere it is NOT a disqualification is most likely a place you don't want to work

There are many hard disqualifications in law enforcement...............those situations are fluid nowadays and MAYBE SOMEDAY it may relax but I wouldn't be holding your breath
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yea man, I would move on. Nevada DOC would be the only place I could see you having a shot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8165 users online. 450 members and 7715 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X