300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Officers applying to LVMPD

Well first off, I am happy to announce that I have talked some since into my girlfriend about going to Las Vegas to test and check the area out, so it looks like I will be testing on July 10, 07.

There is some great info on LVMPD and the hiring process in the forums, but I am just like eveyone else and get nervious about testing.

I have been an Officer at my current PD for about 2 1/2 years and wanted to know if anyone else who is testing, are in the same shoes as I am? The good thing is that I already have a job and that I am willing to go for something better. So with that said, how has the testing process been for past or current officers who are applying with Las Vegas Metro? Do you feel that you have been looked at harder? How was it after they contacted your current employer?I have heard all the horror stories about Officers who leave from one place and go to another. Mainly about the hiring process and not the actual job.

Also any info other good info about the application process would be great.

Thanks!

I can't say that I've heard any horror stories with this department. If you meet the requirements (written, physical, oral board, psych, etc.) then you are accepted into the academy. There shouldn't be any difference because you are an officer. It would probably help you. I will also be at the July 10th test.
    Last edited by Voirdire; 05-05-2007, 10:38 PM.
    Complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) - http://forums.officer.com/t187923/

Comment

I will be attending the upcoming Academy.
      Cannot say enough positive comments about the hiring process.
      I thought everything was fair.
      I thought written exam was much tougher than several others that I have taken in the past.
      I thought the physical exam (after the written) was not that difficult, however, there were quite a few who did not pass.
      As for the rest of the process, you'll see the various threads on the forums and they will certainly help you out and give you a heads up about what to expect.
      It definitely was nerve racking. I'd say the waiting periods were the toughest out of everything.
      I've heard mixed remarks with the polygraph exams. Some say they found out they passed right then and there, and it was fine.
      Others say it was terrible.
      Personally, I know that I told the complete truth from start to finish.
      I think they will always find something to really question or focus on.

I'm not sure if your out of state or not, but, if you are, they were EXTREMELY accomodating to out of state applicants.
      Don't get me wrong, by no means am I saying it was any easier, just that they were very accomodating and it really showed that they tried to complete as much as possible, in as few trips as possible.

Just be honest and prepare yourself.
      Good luck.
      The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

I am glad that they are accommodating; a lot of places are not. I am just a little nervous about applying; sort of like how it was for the job I am at now. I work with guys who have Master degrees and have been great cops for a few years and they have difficulty getting hired by other PDs, mainly because of the polygraph. Then again those jobs are have been in the Northeast where it is hard to get on anywhere.

I just feel worried about the background, polygraph, and board approval. It seems like a lot and a lot of PD's have little rhyme or reason whether they hire people or not. I just have all my efforts focused on LVMPD and would kick myself if something dicked up happens. I have been studying and working out like it I did when I first took the job I have now.

I know other people probably feel the same way, but its good to know that other people are in the same boat and we can get info from the people who have already applied and have been accepted.

Thanks and keep the info coming!

Comment

Originally posted by jrothen4 View Post
          I am glad that they are accommodating; a lot of places are not. I am just a little nervous about applying; sort of like how it was for the job I am at now. I work with guys who have Master degrees and have been great cops for a few years and they have difficulty getting hired by other PDs, mainly because of the polygraph. Then again those jobs are have been in the Northeast where it is hard to get on anywhere.

I just feel worried about the background, polygraph, and board approval. It seems like a lot and a lot of PD's have little rhyme or reason whether they hire people or not. I just have all my efforts focused on LVMPD and would kick myself if something dicked up happens. I have been studying and working out like it I did when I first took the job I have now.

I know other people probably feel the same way, but its good to know that other people are in the same boat and we can get info from the people who have already applied and have been accepted.

Thanks and keep the info coming!

Just curious, you can PM me if you'd like on either which department or state your from.
          Reason I ask: you mentioned Northeast.
          Trust me, I know all to well about some of the Northeast Departments and their hiring.
          You'll find out real quick how accomodating and helpful LVMPD really is.
          I looked into some smaller departments in Connecticut at first.
          I had some friends at the same time looking into some smaller departments in Rhode Island.
          Some ended up with NYPD.

For me, it just made sense for a number of reasons.
          I think the hiring for LVMPD was very competitive.
          I know that they receive a lot of applicants that have their degrees and prior experience and also some who are fresh out of college or lack experience (and probably everything in between).
          There's a decent amount of applicants from the Northeast that I've met already and I'm not even out there yet (I leave Tuesday)!
          The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3053 users online. 144 members and 2909 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X