Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPS - Nevada High Way Patrol

Deleted*** thanks for the info
    Last edited by JayC23; 08-06-2018, 01:34 AM.

4-5 months

Comment

I would say the process can take anywhere from 6-7 months, depending on the need of the department. I tested in May and I am currently in backgrounds, wrapping up my 1st month. I am currently an out of state candidate, so I'm not too sure if that makes a difference or not.

Comment

• JayC23
        JayC23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice, how long was it until the reached out for you to come out to test?

• _jaay18
        _jaay18 commented
        Editing a comment
        It took about 3 months roughly to hear back from my initial application. After my PAT exam, it was pretty steady from there as far as being scheduled for Oral interview and receiving your PHS. The delay was being assigned an investigator. PS; I’m applying for Trooper 1 South Nevada, not P&P.

It will be a short process to nowhere if you continue to spell Highway Patrol like that lol

Comment

• JayC23
        JayC23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha wow. I didn't realize bad this looks, never writing a post on my phone!

did they waive the written test?

Comment

Originally posted by apal View Post
        did they waive the written test?
        Yeah DPS waived the written. Take the PAT and pass, move onto Oral Boards and pass move straight into backgrounds. I think they waived the written because they were losing so many people because of it. Damn happy they did. Going to try and see if i can convince the wife to move back to Vegas, if so i'll put in an app for P&P again. Tested in 2016 and missed the passing score by 3 questions. My sister is currently in backgrounds for P&P. Been in for about a week now.

Comment

Okay, yes I missed it by 3 points as well. It was a tough test.

Comment

Originally posted by apal View Post
            Okay, yes I missed it by 3 points as well. It was a tough test.
            Yeah it's definitely a tough test. Which is why the passing score was 65. Good luck!

Comment

does anyone know how much you take home after PERS is deducted? its 72k starting out i believe and i've always heard PERS screws over NDOC & P&P employees.

Comment

Starting is 50k, pers deduct $800 a month from your check is what I heard

Comment

• Sincity
                  Sincity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thank you !

Originally posted by Sincity View Post
                does anyone know how much you take home after PERS is deducted? its 72k starting out i believe and i've always heard PERS screws over NDOC & P&P employees.
                it's $50,508 starting and you can expect approx 22% of that to go just to the PERS deduction. They top out at $86,109 for level 2 DPS officer but keep in mind when your pay goes so does the $ amount of that deduction.

Comment

• Sincity
                  Sincity commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hmm interesting. right now i get about 30% of taxes out of my check 22% of that is fed tax, 29.65% to be exact. So does that mean i would be potentially getting 52% taken out of every check?

• B_sky33
                  B_sky33 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you must be claiming single and zero on your paychecks to have that high of a tax rate ( at least if you live in NV) . NV DPS is percentage based last I checked and I'm not sure if that estimated 22% is pretax or not. I would think it is but you'd be best to confirm with someone on the job. There was a couple guys in my written test that worked for NVDOC and they said PERS is 24%. Plus you have to remember that being enrolled in PERS you don't pay in social security and medicare is calculated at something like 1%. LE pay is very different that your typical 9-5 desk job

• dvon714
                  dvon714 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sincity, it works like this. DPS starts at around $25ish an hour. $25 hr x 80 hours = 2000 Not sure if PERS deduction increased but last I saw it was 21.75. So 2000 x .2175 = $435. You will then be hit with federal taxes. Let's say that is 15%. Again multiply that by your $2000 gross. 2000 x 15 = $300. Now add $435 for PERS plus $300 for taxes and thats $735 from your check. This bi-weekly twice a month. If you choose a health care plan that will be deducted from only one check a month as well. Welcome to working for the state...

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2775 users online. 151 members and 2624 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X