300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to live while in the academy?

I'm trying to get a job with the LVMPD I'm testing in a couple weeks. Im ex military and I worked for Blackwater for a year and a half. Ill be coming from Oregon while in the academy and I dont think Im gonna have a whole lot of money to be renting an apartment. You get three days off a week, hopefully its like the Army, that way I can just stay there on my days off. One more question; you get paid while in training right!?

Originally posted by blackwaterops
    I'm trying to get a job with the LVMPD I'm testing in a couple weeks. Im ex military and I worked for Blackwater for a year and a half. Ill be coming from Oregon while in the academy and I dont think Im gonna have a whole lot of money to be renting an apartment. You get three days off a week, hopefully its like the Army, that way I can just stay there on my days off. One more question; you get paid while in training right!?
    I'll let someone more qualified answer your question in depth/greater detail. But I will add that you do get paid while in training (in the Academy) and that there are plenty of apartments available with prices varying tremendously depending on the area and apartment. There's nice areas and bad areas, nice apartments and not so nice apartments, I think you get what you pay for like most places. There's a lot of apartment complexes near the Academy. I used some sites like www.rent.com and www.apartmentfinder.com for research and then went and visited several complexes in person. I decided on the Estancia which is right near the academy. The Boulders and Shadow Hills are also near the Academy.
    PM me for more information on the apartments if you'd like.
    The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

What do you mean by staying there on your days off? Yes you do get paid while training. Look at the .pdf file that is on the LVMPD Police Recruit page.
      Complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) - http://forums.officer.com/t187923/

Comment

Once you get hired you will have enough to rent an apartment. Maybe get a roomate to help out. You will not be the only one from out of state, so others will be in the same situation as you..

Comment

Thank you everyone for the quick reply. Voirdire I was under the impression that you live at the academy, eat at the their chow hall and all that. When I went to boot camp thats how it was you couldn't leave. It will be a giant step, to up and move out there for me. Thanks for the advise all.

Comment

Ahh that's what I was thinking but I didn't know for sure. No, you don't "live-in" while at the academy like how it is in boot camp. You bring your own lunch and at the end of the day you go home. It certainly is a huge step but remember, there are others who have moved from out of state and they're doing just fine.
            Complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) - http://forums.officer.com/t187923/

Comment

Yes, you become quite proficient at eating a Sandwich!!

Comment

living

Depending on your situation, I would suggest looking for a rental house. You can get a nice house (3 bedroom/garage), within 10 minutes for about 1100 a month. There are apartments about a mile from the academy that people like, me personally I prefer a home. Look around the area, but antrax can tell you about the apartments.

Comment

Sweet now all I have to do is get hired!

Comment

Originally posted by dumont
                    Depending on your situation, I would suggest looking for a rental house. You can get a nice house (3 bedroom/garage), within 10 minutes for about 1100 a month. There are apartments about a mile from the academy that people like, me personally I prefer a home. Look around the area, but antrax can tell you about the apartments.
                    Exactly. There's plenty of nice communities to choose from. I looked at several in person last month, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try and help you out with info. There's pros and cons with each one but plenty of nice ones, decently priced, in nice areas to choose from.
                    The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

Rentals

Rentals by Las Vegas Metro Academy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure that you email me when you are ready to move out here. [email protected]

I am in good terms with one of the senior leasing agents here in my complex.
                      Complex is about 3 minutes from the academy. It is clean, quiet, safe and there are few metro officers and new recruits renting here already. I am one of them.

If you decide to rent here please mention my name (Nelson Villarroel) because they offer a referral fee. Every little bit helps..........

The complex is called Shadow Hills. 3501 Shady timber st. Las Vegas, NV 89129. Please mention my name..

There are other complexes close to the Academy but this one is one the nicer one close to it...trust me

Comment

not to intrude.. but a quick search on google brought up the Shadow Hills Apartments website.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                          not to intrude.. but a quick search on google brought up the Shadow Hills Apartments website.
                          Thats the correct one that he is referring to.
                          I lived with that company in Rhode Island when I rented.
                          Everything went well and I didn't have any problems.
                          As far it being 'one of the nicer ones', I'd say to check the area.
                          To each his own...
                          As I said earlier in this thread, there are plenty of nice apartment communities to choose from, and plenty very close to the academy.
                          Check out the area and see what you like for yourself.
                          I looked at The Estancia, The Boulders, Shadow Hills, and about three others.
                          I ended up going with the first one. Hopefully things work out.

Comment

Keep in mind that the academy is now going to be at 2 locations, which are on the opposite side of town. One academy is at Cheyenne, the other is at Mojave. You DO NOT want to live in the part of town where the Mojave one is.

Comment

Anyone have suggestions as to where to live close to the academy that accepts large dogs? I called Boulder's and Shadow Hills but on their websites it says they don't take any dogs over 25 lbs. I'm waiting for calls from them but I'd like to have some other options open. (We have a 90lb Bouvier) Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6119 users online. 369 members and 5750 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X